U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte vs. Houston: decent job prospects, centrally located, nice blend of cultures, ethnic diversity, nightlife

Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,115 times

Advertisements

I am seriously on the fence about where I should move. I've narrowed it down to Charlotte,NC and Houston,TX. Both fare very well in research and all of the annual lists. Charlotte is really growing right now, it reminds me of how Atlanta was 10 years ago. Houston is a fairly large city and I feel like I can get the city and the suburb there. On the other hand I miss the east coast and once your in Texas your in Texas. My concern is that Charlotte will be slow and once you get bored with the newness of the city there won't be much left. I've talked to a couple friends who have lived in Charlotte(breifly) and they said that people in Charlotte are upity and judgemental.(??) Obviously their experience it just that, theirs. But I'm just wondering if anyone has had multiple situations where they felt the same way. I hate to generalize but it's worth inquiring about. I think the job prospects will be decent in both places. Maybe better in Houston just because of it's size. My family for the most part is much closer to NC. And Charlotte is pretty centrally located there on the east coast, not too far from anything. But I'd like to get some input from people to already live in one of these two places(or have) Can you help me out?

I'm a single female 28yrs old, so nightlife is important as well. I don't want to be bored and I don't want to move again in two years. I travel pretty regularly but thats mostly becase I hate where I live now(WI)
Also, I almost hate to bring this up because people get so freaked out about it, but I'm a black woman, and I'm looking for an area with a nice blend of cultures and ethnic diversity and tolerance. I feel like Houston may have one up on Charlotte in this area again because of it's size, but I'm just looking for other opinions. Please don't bite my head off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,668,263 times
Been to both cities and I don't think you will have a problem fitting in either city, both have size and culture. Both have nightlife, though Houstons may be a bit more established, Charlotte is coming up. They are building clubs, bars, event places, sports, etc here. Plenty of groups to help you acclimate, especiallyt he 25-39 year old crowd. I find Charlotte is a bit harder to get into groups than when I was in texas, but over time you can form very strong bonds. I think the job will be the biggest thing.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 AM

206 posts, read 731,799 times
I am from Houston and now live here. In a lot of ways Houston will be a better fit. It is going to have a better nightlife and because it is a much larger city will seem more diverse. The weather here in Charlotte is a million times better and I find the city to be very diverse. I am married with a kid so I can't help you on the nightlife aspect.

I love TX and am proud to be from there but would not want to live there even though my family is there. I think Charlotte is a beautiful city (Houston is not) and the climate is pretty good. The people overall are nice and I haven't had any issues in the 6 months we have lived here.

Where would your job be in Houston? Where you live and how far you have to commute could make a huge difference.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM

17 posts, read 33,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deisadore View Post
I am seriously on the fence about where I should move. I've narrowed it down to Charlotte,NC and Houston,TX. Both fare very well in research and all of the annual lists. Charlotte is really growing right now, it reminds me of how Atlanta was 10 years ago. Houston is a fairly large city and I feel like I can get the city and the suburb there. On the other hand I miss the east coast and once your in Texas your in Texas. My concern is that Charlotte will be slow and once you get bored with the newness of the city there won't be much left. I've talked to a couple friends who have lived in Charlotte(breifly) and they said that people in Charlotte are upity and judgemental.(??) Obviously their experience it just that, theirs. But I'm just wondering if anyone has had multiple situations where they felt the same way. I hate to generalize but it's worth inquiring about. I think the job prospects will be decent in both places. Maybe better in Houston just because of it's size. My family for the most part is much closer to NC. And Charlotte is pretty centrally located there on the east coast, not too far from anything. But I'd like to get some input from people to already live in one of these two places(or have) Can you help me out?

I'm a single female 28yrs old, so nightlife is important as well. I don't want to be bored and I don't want to move again in two years. I travel pretty regularly but thats mostly becase I hate where I live now(WI)
Also, I almost hate to bring this up because people get so freaked out about it, but I'm a black woman, and I'm looking for an area with a nice blend of cultures and ethnic diversity and tolerance. I feel like Houston may have one up on Charlotte in this area again because of it's size, but I'm just looking for other opinions. Please don't bite my head off!

I just moved here in Sept. Well closed in Sept, officially moved in Nov and started working in Jan. I just turned 30 this year and just married, so yes we are into the nightlife and such. I visited Houston several times when interviewing for jobs and I didn’t like Houston. It wasn’t what I was looking for as far as nightlife, as I prefer jazzy, neo soul lounges as opposed to crowded sweaty clubs. I’m glad we moved to Charlotte (moved from DC area), and always find something different to do on the weekends. Plus I hate the TRAFFIC in Houston. Im like jeez I could have stayed in DC with all this mess. The people are really nice in Charlotte. I have never gotten an uptiy vibe from anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or