U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 01:43 PM

35 posts, read 150,824 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Charlotte very soon and need to get a Post Office box so I can have my mail forwarded somewhere. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a box without actually being in the state? I'm in Arizona. If it can't be done, any other suggestions for handling my mail when we move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,441,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynamo View Post
I'll be moving to Charlotte very soon and need to get a Post Office box so I can have my mail forwarded somewhere. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a box without actually being in the state? I'm in Arizona. If it can't be done, any other suggestions for handling my mail when we move?
Will there be a significant delay between moving out of olde residence and into new residence?

We were in new residence within a week's time of moving out of old residence. We just set up a forwarding order at the post office and all of our mail was sent to new address after the date we indicated.

SL

Old 01-11-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Will there be a significant delay between moving out of olde residence and into new residence?

We were in new residence within a week's time of moving out of old residence. We just set up a forwarding order at the post office and all of our mail was sent to new address after the date we indicated.

SL
Probably only a week as we drive across country. I suppose if I can find an apartment first, that might be the way to go. I was just hoping to keep a PO box until I found a house to buy, which I'm guessing won't take more than a few hours.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:18 AM

136 posts, read 298,178 times
Default Leavin' Arizona

Quote:
I'm in Arizona.
Hey! I'm getting ready to leave Arizona too for a Charlotte destination. Whereabouts in AZ? I'm in Gilbert, but have been all over the valley, been here 7 years. I love it, but I'm tired of the airport drama flying to see family. I have a baby now and flying isn't as easy as it used to be.

Is your house on the market yet? Mine is going up in April. I called one of the builders in the area, and the rep told me they don't take contingencies, even if your current home is in escrow. Have you received the same info? I know you have more negotiationg power in resale w/o the contingency, but moving across country I prefer to do back to back closings.

Look forward to hearing from you! Good luck!

Old 01-14-2007, 01:53 AM

473 posts, read 1,451,870 times
Red face Mail on hold?

Quote:
Probably only a week as we drive across country. I suppose if I can find an apartment first, that might be the way to go. I was just hoping to keep a PO box until I found a house to buy, which I'm guessing won't take more than a few hours.
You could put your mail on hold for a week or however long you need it. But you have to go back and pick it up. Then you set up a forwarding mail in advance of moving. Ask your local post office how long because some take longer to set up than others. FL took forever!!! Also, you could obtain a POB and live on the other side of town. That would be very good, either. Unless you know where you are going to work, a POB might be a mistake.

I would give yourself a good weekend to find a house, at least, unless you know the area or have someone that can narrow areas for you. Charlotte is a pretty big place.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelle View Post
Hey! I'm getting ready to leave Arizona too for a Charlotte destination. Whereabouts in AZ? I'm in Gilbert, but have been all over the valley, been here 7 years. I love it, but I'm tired of the airport drama flying to see family. I have a baby now and flying isn't as easy as it used to be.

Is your house on the market yet? Mine is going up in April. I called one of the builders in the area, and the rep told me they don't take contingencies, even if your current home is in escrow. Have you received the same info? I know you have more negotiationg power in resale w/o the contingency, but moving across country I prefer to do back to back closings.

Look forward to hearing from you! Good luck!
Hi Kelle! I'm in Gilbert, too. My house has been on the market since July, so it's been a rough go for us. We have it up FSBO right now so we can reset the CDOM (cumulative days on market) back to zero. Our showings dropped drastically after the CDOM hit 90 days, which I'd read they would. But in AZ you have to be off the MLS for 90 days to reset it back to zero. We didn't expect much in the way off showings during our FSBO time. FSBO was a compromise, as my husband wanted to take it off the market and I didn't. We're both a little surprised we got an offer, but then again we were able to drop the price almost $20k to make up for the commission we didn't have to pay. Now that we're to the paperwork stage, we're understanding even more why paying a realtor isn't such a horrible thing. Anyhow, enough about that!

As for the contingencies, we did find a Centex home in an area we loved when we were there. We asked about a contingency and they said no, but that was for an inventory home. Two other home builders told us we could do contingencies, but we had so long to have a contract after they started building. I don't remember the exact timeline, though. I also can't remember if you lose your deposit or not. I'm a big help, aren't I?

We decided against doing back-to-back closings. Although it's easier as far as moving is concerned, it's harder, riskier, and definitely more stressful logistically. We got burned once before when we sold our last house and bought our new one on the same day, then the person buying our old one backed out after we signed the papers. We wound up still buying the new one, but then had 2 house payments for awhile, which sucked pretty bad. We agreed that this time we'd wait for a check in hand before even making an offer on another house. Plus we want to be in Charlotte to look around and take our time finding a place. We're moving to an apartment.

Good luck on your move! PM me if you want to talk more. We should definitely meet up sometime!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaxx View Post
You could put your mail on hold for a week or however long you need it. But you have to go back and pick it up. Then you set up a forwarding mail in advance of moving. Ask your local post office how long because some take longer to set up than others. FL took forever!!! Also, you could obtain a POB and live on the other side of town. That would be very good, either. Unless you know where you are going to work, a POB might be a mistake.

I would give yourself a good weekend to find a house, at least, unless you know the area or have someone that can narrow areas for you. Charlotte is a pretty big place.
Hi NikNaxx! Cool handle. Thanks for your advice. It's definitely welcomed!

I think we'll wind up just having our mail forwarded to whereever we decide to live. I was a little worried about getting a PO box in say Matthews, then living in Huntersville. I will be working from home, though, so I don't have too much to worry about on that front.

I've been checking out houses and areas online for months now, but it's not the same as being there. We're going to do a 3 or 4 month lease, which should give us plenty of time to see all our options, make an offer, close, and do any fix-ups, cleaning, and painting we need to do before moving in. I think that should be enough time, but then again, I'm an eternal optimist.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 AM

473 posts, read 1,451,870 times
Red face Anytime...

Quote:
Hi NikNaxx! Cool handle. Thanks for your advice. It's definitely welcomed!

I think we'll wind up just having our mail forwarded to whereever we decide to live. I was a little worried about getting a PO box in say Matthews, then living in Huntersville. I will be working from home, though, so I don't have too much to worry about on that front.

I've been checking out houses and areas online for months now, but it's not the same as being there. We're going to do a 3 or 4 month lease, which should give us plenty of time to see all our options, make an offer, close, and do any fix-ups, cleaning, and painting we need to do before moving in. I think that should be enough time, but then again, I'm an eternal optimist.
Anytime... If you don't have to leave the house, why leave?

What's your work from home deal, if you don't mind me asking? You can email or pm me, if you don't want to advertise it. Always curious about options...

Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaxx View Post
Anytime... If you don't have to leave the house, why leave?

What's your work from home deal, if you don't mind me asking? You can email or pm me, if you don't want to advertise it. Always curious about options...
Exactly! I'm soooo looking forward to it! I'm a technical software trainer and I also write training materials, so I'll be travelling whenever I need to teach a class (customers are all over the US) and working from home writing manuals and such when I'm not training. My current employer is based in Phoenix (where I am) but they're willing to let me work remotely. We have a lot of remote employees, but almost all require some sort of travel. We'll see how long it takes before I'm sick of travelling all the time. I really do like my husband and dogs.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 PM

136 posts, read 298,178 times
Hey, what are the chances we're both in Gilbert! I'll definitely PM you later so we can keep in touch! I read all the posts about NC but I think people's opinions are all relative to where they're coming from. I was in NC when I was younger, and originally from the northeast so I'm looking forward to the green and even a real 'summer' where kids can play outside without getting heat stroke.

Sorry to hear about your housing experience. I know of a way to change those CDOM; but it sounds like you did well by finding a buyer on your own. Selling in this market is good, no matter how you do it. I was a Realtor here for 6 years. Recently stepped down to take a work at home position as a virtual transaction coordinator for other Realtors...so definitely PM me if you have any paperwork questions, that's what I do all day long And Niknaxx I am going to continue the virtual 'OTC' as they call it after moving, so if you are interested in a work from home gig I will need help once I build the business up with NC Realtors. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Back to NC stuff...thanks for the heads up on the 'back to back' closings. I'm very familiar with the headaches, but I'm going to try it anyway...call me crazy. I know it's not 'over till it's over' with closings.

And Saralee that's a great idea, I completely forgot the local post office can hold your mail until you're ready for forwarding. With online billpay it's not so urgent to get all that 'junk' anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or