Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2006, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 25,226 times

Advertisements

Hello, My wife and I will be relocating from Northern CA (Bay Area) to Mooresville in about a year. We have preschoolers now, and want to move before they start school.

We have family in Mooresville and we have looked at several developments, Including "The Farms". (Our family in Morresville are retired, and so they are not really up to speed on the schools situation) Any known problems with "The Farms"? Any notable benefits of this community?

(We know about the traffic on Brawley school Rd....but could it be any worse than the bay area?) Which schools would our kids attend for K-8, and high school? ...Also, where the heck is the new Lowe's corporate campus actually located? ...Thanks! - Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2006, 08:53 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692
Hello, My wife and I will be relocating from Northern CA (Bay Area) to Mooresville in about a year. We have preschoolers now, and want to move before they start school.

We have family in Mooresville and we have looked at several developments, Including "The Farms". (Our family in Morresville are retired, and so they are not really up to speed on the schools situation) Any known problems with "The Farms"? Any notable benefits of this community?

(We know about the traffic on Brawley school Rd....but could it be any worse than the bay area?) Which schools would our kids attend for K-8, and high school? ...Also, where the heck is the new Lowe's corporate campus actually located? ...Thanks! - Rob
Do you mean Linwood Farms?

Old 05-19-2006, 11:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Quote:

Looks like Lowe's is based in Mooresville, but they also have jobs postings in North Wilkesboro. Check out their website.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:10 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
The only "Farms" I remember seeing was the Linwood Farms subdivision in Mooresville. Curtis Pond Is a HUGE subdivision in Mooresville (tract houses, abt 900 of them when they are finished)...lots of young families there & Lowe's employees, too. Harris Village is smaller (abt 185 houses), beautiful homes, Morrison Plantation is another HUGE subdivision...more like it's own village! Edgerwater Park, beautiful homes as well. Keep in mind...houses west of I 77 generally run higher in price because they are closer or on the lake. (Example: Edgewater Park homes avg $100-150K more than the same home in Harris Village & they are the same builders), Remember...location, location, location!!

Old 06-29-2006, 10:47 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Also, where the heck is the new Lowe's corporate campus actually located? ...Thanks! - Rob
The website (after much poking around to find the info ) lists the Mooresville location as being on Lowe's Boulevard. I plugged the address into mapquest and it seems to be off highway 21, going east.

Lowes corporate campus is located in Mooresville, but the company started in Wilkesboro, with some offices still located there. Also, part of their data center operations located to Winston-Salem a few years back, and now I read that they are opening a data center in Texas. Hmmm, might be time to check the value of their stock

Old 07-28-2006, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
Default The Farms, Brawley School & Lowes

The Farms is a lovely community and we have friends who have purchased waterfront there and love it. Wish we could move out there ourselves because it appears that you can get a fair amount of housing for the price and the lots are beautiful.

Our problem is Brawley School Road. We've lived in a lake-front community much closer to the base of the Brawley peninsula for 5 years now and have enjoyed it during the summers. At this point, we're looking for something off of Brawley because of the insane school-year traffic and pending road construction. I work and during the school-year it takes me between 20 and 45 minutes to make the trek down Brawley School road that normally takes 5 minutes in the summer. To make matters worse, in 2007 they are going to start widening the roads from 2 lanes to 4. We love it here, but we're seriously looking at cashing out our equity and moving to a place off of Brawley.

If only one of you works and you can hit the peninsula before 4:30 or after 7:00, it is probably worth a try. Many evenings I don't make it home before 6:30 during fall and winter when I leave the office at 5:30. Doesn't sound bad until you realize that I work a whopping 19 miles away and I only live 1/2 a mile down Brawley... I

If there is an accident, you might as well turn around and have dinner in town. I've even know several people that parked their cars and arranged for boat transportation to get home the last time it was under construction for several days at a time.

Above all else, keep in mind that one road is the only way on and off the peninsula. At this time, the city has not agreed to place a moritorium on new construction. Every month we've watched the traffic get worse and worse. The scary thing is that there is a rumored multi-family housing unit near the base of the peninsula. Once you break free of the "low income housing" (homes between $200K & $400K) section of the peninsula you are clear of the traffic. Our fear is that they are going to continue development near the base because that is where they can provide the most "affordable" housing using the least amount of land.

I realize this doesn't sound bad if you're coming from places with bad traffic. We lived in DC for years and made the standard 60 to 90 minute commute depending on accidents. The frustrating thing is that we moved here to enjoy a slower paced life and start a family. Rather than being grateful that I don't sit in DC traffic, I find myself quite bitter that I'm missing the ammenities of the major city while still having a 60 minute commute for a 19 mile drive.

Now I'll stop whining and answer your other question about Lowe's HQ. They have relocated most of their major functions (with the exception of some IT and perhaps some clerical-level accounting) to the Mooresville campus. The vendor representatives and every manager/director/VP I know lives here in Mooresville and works at the Mooresville campus. At this time, the best way to describe the location is at exit 33 off of I-77. Theoretically, a new exit at mile 32 will be built to accomodate just their campus. Given how funding for DOT seems to disappear around here, I wouldn't hold my breath that it will happen in the near future. From the intersection of Brawley School Road and Williamson (the road you hit at exit 33) it is about a 5 to 8minute drive to the campus. From the Farms with no traffic, I'd put it at about 15 to 20 assuming you hit every light between the two.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,256 times
Default OMG-Brawley School Rd

I am so incredibly sick of Brawley School Road. Just this evening, there was an accident. Not only was Brawley backed up, but Williamson as well. Williamson Rd is approximately 3/4 of a mile between 150 & Brawley. I sat there for over an hour. So much for planning developments and roadways with no alternative routes. We are definitely looking at moving away from here. The beautiful lots and homes is not such a peaceful setting because by the time you get there, you're completely stressed. My 30 minute commute takes an hour and 1/2 on many days. Consider Greensboro....we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte