U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times

Advertisements

moderator note:

To those who just had some posts deleted or just reading this thread or forum, please read the tos at top of every forum and stick to original post please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 04:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,709,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
Can't reveal exactly where I work but I'm sure it can be guessed. I provide education to 100% of those youthful offenders/gang members. The first problem is home. There is absolutely NO SUBSTANCE (love, confidence, education, training, ANYTHING) coming from home. I know probably about 90% of those kids on those myspace pages. The sad thing is that they believe their made up gangs are REAL and they act on it because its ALL they have. Their parents are those strung out on hard drugs, homeless- some kids live in hotels, prostitutes, They are the 2-3% of teenagers that
are on a path of destruction. No its not the white man's fault, Bill Cosby, Al Sharpton, juvenile judges, TV, the black man, or society's fault. I believe its their STUPID, INCONSIDERATE, SELFISH parents. I mean this passionately because I have to extensively interact with these kids everyday and their reality is negatively distorted thanks to their STUPID, INCONSIDERATE, SELFISH parents.
Agree 100%. I have been down your road. Unfortunately, they have to get themselves out of where they are. NOt our job. All we can do is encourage and support. In some countries, governments have their own way of dealing with their problems. They just seem to disappear.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
moderator note:
This is not a political thread and did deviate from the OP the off topic post that was moved to a new location According to No Child Left Behind and the Bush administration it is theteacher's job. (moved from clt)
last warning.
Please stick to the original post topic. Instead of responding to an off topic use the report post button in the right corner so that you do not get caught in the cross fire as you post.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-21-2008 at 02:41 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,264 times
Pretty new to the boards but the link link on page 1 blew me away. I am not anti-gun but seeing that level of gun in the hands of such juvenile thugs is frightening to the point that I do not want to raise my daughter here. I have been thinking that for a while but this is the nail in the coffin unless somebody turns the crime here around.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covinth View Post
Pretty new to the boards but the link link on page 1 blew me away. I am not anti-gun but seeing that level of gun in the hands of such juvenile thugs is frightening to the point that I do not want to raise my daughter here. I have been thinking that for a while but this is the nail in the coffin unless somebody turns the crime here around.
I see this is an older thread - but to respond to this post above - its going to be like this in any major city unfortunately. I moved here from Baltimore and "The Wire" is not really all that fictional.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covinth View Post
I am a native and have never seen such stuff in "real life" so honestly . . . unless you plan to live in the 'hood . . .

Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am a native and have never seen such stuff in "real life" so honestly . . . unless you plan to live in the 'hood . . .
And hopefully you never will. But the problem is that what starts in the 'hood doesn't always stay in the 'hood. During my last several years in Baltimore, there seemed to be an increase of instances where what was once relegated to certain areas of the city would seep out into the suburbs or other areas.

Case in point - we had a shopping mall northwest of the city which was, at one time, considered one of the more "upscale" places to shop and was in a rather suburban area, nice houses (i.e. not the 'hood). Baltimore's light rail line eventually added a stop at this mall. Within a few years the crime rate in this area shot up dramatically, including cars being broken into at said mall, stores dealing with more shoplifters and even people being mugged in the parking lot. Because what happened was that some of these gang members / thugs / whatever decided to use the light rail to make like Christopher Columbus and go exploring.

If this kind of activity cannot be dampened, or at least confined to certain areas, it will eventually spread.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
And hopefully you never will. But the problem is that what starts in the 'hood doesn't always stay in the 'hood. During my last several years in Baltimore, there seemed to be an increase of instances where what was once relegated to certain areas of the city would seep out into the suburbs or other areas.

Case in point - we had a shopping mall northwest of the city which was, at one time, considered one of the more "upscale" places to shop and was in a rather suburban area, nice houses (i.e. not the 'hood). Baltimore's light rail line eventually added a stop at this mall. Within a few years the crime rate in this area shot up dramatically, including cars being broken into at said mall, stores dealing with more shoplifters and even people being mugged in the parking lot. Because what happened was that some of these gang members / thugs / whatever decided to use the light rail to make like Christopher Columbus and go exploring.

If this kind of activity cannot be dampened, or at least confined to certain areas, it will eventually spread.
Point well taken, Tober. I hope I am not putting too much faith in our Police Chief. He is begging for more police officers and seems to get the big picture of how crime spreads. He seems to be very savvy about thugs and their modus operandi. I hope he gets what he needs to keep Charlotte safe.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Where Are The Parents???????????
Parents? You meant like "two" parents? LOL. Maybe if we give the mothers or grandmothers that are raising these scumbags free tickets to the Bobcats' games they will get involved. Principal Hall at Bruns Avenue Elementary is buying parental attendance at PTA meeting with tickets.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 AM

Maybe the illegal Mexican gangs will help clear out some of the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or