U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,360,669 times

Advertisements

Hi, All,

My husband, 7-year old son, and I are going to be visiting Charlotte for the first time over the July 4th weekend. We're coming up on Thursday and staying until Sunday.

I'd like some recommendations regards hotels and attractions. While my husband and I enjoy the more cultured activities like museums, concerts, galleries, etc, we're doing a family vacation. The last thing I want is to spend the whole time running interference...not to mention disturbing the kidless.

Also, I am a runner. I need to run on July 4th, probably in the morning so I can get it out of the way despite being an evening runner. Any trails I should know about? I prefer urban trails. Atlanta has PATH (PATH Foundation) where I run at home. Does Charlotte have anything similar?

So, please, any recommendations for interactive or outdoor activities are welcome. I've already learned about Carowind, SouthPark Mall, and Discovery Place. We're definitely going to do DP. Is Carowind worth it? And we're not mall people but if there's something special about the SoutPark (or is it Southpark) Mall then let me know. And by special I don't mean retail stores...we won't be shopping on this vacation. I know that some malls have something special outdoors or perhaps they have weekend outdoor markets from local artisans...we will do THAT kind of shopping.

Also for hotel. I'd like a place with a pool that comes at no extra charge (it's surprising that some places charge to use the pool...). And if it's at all possible to have free parking that would be a bonus.

I know...it's kind of funny to ask residents about hotels...how often do you stay in a hotel in your own city? When people ask about Atlanta hotels I am often at a loss for words...I live in the city limits - never need a hotel!

Thanks, in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Your cool asking about hotels. This area has alot of newcomers so they stayed at hotels while checking out the area for a place to live.

I know what you mean by paying for amenities. It crazy but the higher the hotel star rating the more amenities you have to pay for instead of being free.

I think Uptown would be a good location or South Park area would be a good location to be near the city center and less commute times from one area to another.
For free pool Uptown check out the Hampton Inn Hotel - Charlotte - Uptown, North Carolina - NC - Hampton Inn Hotels

Here is a list of things to do for the fourth I think you might find a even ground for everyone in your family .
Carowinds is cool but I think you can get more out of this city and explore other things plus it will be crowded that weekend making your experience less enjoyable. If you move here wait til then.

2008 Summer Pops at Symphony Park A summer staple since the early '90s, the music series has devoted past performances to Broadway, Father's Day, and Fourth of July numbers

South End Gallery Crawl For the most unique gallery crawl experience in an historic district join us in SouthEnd!

2nd Annual 4th of July Family Bike Parade Live music, games, crafts for bike decorating, snacks and beverages provided. Local fire department will lead the parade

Fourth of July Celebration Friday, July 4 6:30 p.m. 10:00 p.m. A fun filled evening will begin with a small town parade at 5:30pm from Davidson Town Hall and ending at McEver Field. At McEver Field, festivities will include a children's amusement area, stage entertainment, concessions and the most spectacular fireworks show in the Lake Norman area

Red Rocks, Whitewater, & Bluegrass Celebration 46' rock spire, class III/IV whitewater and some great music. This will be fun for the whole family with lots of food, activities for kids, and of course... FIREWORKS!

Red, White and Boom
Enjoy a variety of activities from Crayon Moon Bounce, Tug of War and Sac Races to Dual Slide and Clown.
Stay and watch fireworks at 9:30pm.

Slick Rick reclaims his fame

Weathering Program: Red, White and Blue in Raptors too! resident red, white and blue raptors! Have an opportunity to get your picture taken with an eagle!Free with regular admission.

Charlotte Pop Fest Charlotte Pop Fest is a 2-day "power pop" music festival and Beatles tribute

------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom Park and Latta Park are the best parks for running on paved surfaces

Latta Plantation (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Inside+The+Department/Divisions/Stewardship+Services/Nature+Preserves/Latta.htm - broken link)
Freedom Park in Charlotte, NC (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Parks/Parks+By+District/Central+District+III/Freedom+.htm - broken link)

Enjoy your visit

Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,360,669 times
Thanks a whole bunch for the info! Especially the July 4th activities.

You freaked me out for a sec when you said Freedom Park is best for running. Here in Atlanta I run on the PATH trail in OUR Freedom Park...

I'm sure we'll have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte