U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 PM

78 posts, read 231,252 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
we just returned from Charlotte and totally loved it! We are originally from California, staying for now in Houston and hope to make it to Charlotte very soon. We loved your beautiful state, nature, people, and the city of Charlotte (sorry Raleigh, it didn't cut it at all ! ).
Anyway, I know, there are more IT jobs in Raleigh area but we want to live in Charlotte and I have noticed there are not that many IT jobs there. Is this possible or what do you know please?
Also, is Matthews a nice area? Also, how about Concord and traffic to uptown? Our budget allows us for a house up to 200K.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 09:03 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,764,832 times
There are alot of IT jobs in Charlotte...My husband is in IT and thank goodness for us there are alot of jobs for him....anyway you need to find some really good recrutiers(head hunters) that will assist you in your job search...We cant wait for that right offer and for this house to sell....good luck to you....

Old 01-12-2007, 08:10 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtransplant View Post
Hello all,
we just returned from Charlotte and totally loved it! We are originally from California, staying for now in Houston and hope to make it to Charlotte very soon. We loved your beautiful state, nature, people, and the city of Charlotte (sorry Raleigh, it didn't cut it at all ! ).
Anyway, I know, there are more IT jobs in Raleigh area but we want to live in Charlotte and I have noticed there are not that many IT jobs there. Is this possible or what do you know please?
Also, is Matthews a nice area? Also, how about Concord and traffic to uptown? Our budget allows us for a house up to 200K.
Thank you!

Matthews is a very desirable location. Your 200k will go further in Concord however, which is a nice little town. The commute from both will be at least 40-50 minutes during rush hour, 25 minutes during other times of day, to uptown.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:20 AM

23 posts, read 84,890 times
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what are the pay ranges in IT. My family and I have decided we also want to move to NC (Charlotte area) and I'm currently in the IT Field. I do help desk/PC Support. My current pay range in on the low side for CT but if I'm wondering if I can get even close to what I make now in Charlotte doing what I do now. My current pay range for PC Support is about $34,000 a year. Am I close or am I looking at a $10,000 pay cut. What I can make and if my husband gets to keep his current pay for a transfer will effect the price range we can afford. I will start a new thread for that.

Sorry to Hijack, on the other side maybe this question will help you out too.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,868,147 times
check out salary.com will give you a rough idea of wages for the area, I know there are other sites with this info as well, maybe somebody here can name some off them.

As to CA Transplant, we looked in Concord & Matthews, yes you would get more house in Concord but being honest if I had to choose between the two I would live in Mathews (live near there at the moment)

Old 01-12-2007, 12:24 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,764,832 times
purple it depends we are seeing 10-15% decrease but that really isnt so bad, we also are from NY/NJ it depends on where your coming from...My dh isnt taking to big of a pay cut which we were very pleasantly surprised about...Director's of IT lets say client services My dh is on a Director level...are being paid upward of 120k-150k and some pay more depending on the level of management..the sad thing is that the pay in NJ/NY is less than that...but whatever...You should contact some recruiters in charlotte just to have an idea...HOpe that helps

Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 PM

23 posts, read 84,890 times
Yes, it does thanks.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:12 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,110,038 times
You should easily be able to find Tech Support for low $40K's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or