U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 66,557 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm a 31 yo single male, no family, thinking about relocating from northern VA (just outside of DC). I've been looking at Consulting jobs around here since that's what i do back home.

Basically I'm interested in finding out about:

Good places to live - seems like Uptown and areas south and southeast are the better places. But any more specifics? Uptown prices don't seem too scary from what I'm used to, but not sure if it's worth it.

social life - is Uptown pretty much the place everybody in the 20-early 30s goes out to? How's the single scene?

Traffic - i'm from DC. A 30 minute commute is heaven. Bumper to bumper traffic is the norm. So a little traffic doesn't bother me. Are there highways that are just stopped during rush and and should be avoided (and perhaps not a good place to live by)? I've read some other posts around this board that make it seem like a 20 minute commute is a "negative" that some "put up with" in order to live in a house. Heh. Amateurs.

Job market - how is it for Consulting, IT, Project Management type jobs? Around DC, they're pretty plentiful, but have no real idea how it is down there. One of the things that is drawing me to the area is that there are supposedly a lot of fortune 500 companies, so for example, Consulting services are in the commercial sector. In DC, it seems like 75% or more is government based, which i'm tired of.

Crime - is crime really a worry? The stats can be misleading, but CLT doesn't compare very well to NoVA or even DC.

so you know, trying to get the lay of the land. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or