U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:26 AM

201 posts, read 741,064 times

Advertisements

First, I'll start by saying that I am in no way trying to deter anyone from Ayrsley. I live there and despite this happening, I still think it was pretty random - plus, crime has no address.

It was our neighbor's home that was broken into, and the scariest thing is that we were all over there on their deck when it happened. We had just come home from dinner at Salsa's and were enjoying a glass of wine outside at about 9:30 last night and suddenly heard a loud crash coming from inside. (The deck is up on the second floor in the back of the home) My husband got up and opened the door to look inside and see what at the time we thought must have fallen, and he was faced with two guys trying to steal the tv.

After that, everything just happened pretty quickly and it all seemed so surreal. I was pretty frightened and stayed on the back deck and hoped that no one would get hurt as it sounded like everyone was chasing these guys through the house. After it all settled down, I found out that there were three guys, two were on the second floor trying to steal that tv, another was on the first floor near the front door trying to steal another tv. Apparantly, we all did scare them off and they jumped into a car outside that was waiting for them and they took off. Unfortunately, the license plate had a bag over it, so no one could get a number.

These guys kicked in the locked and deadbolted front door at 9:30 on a Friday night. The lights were on in the house, but we still just believe that they didn't think anyone was home. According to the police, most of the home invasions happen during the day when thieves know that people should be at work...this was barely after dark and in the middle of a fairly active neighborhood.

With all of this in mind, we have to believe that they picked their home for a reason. We think they must have seen their tv through the windows on the first floor at some point. During the actual invasion, the blinds were all closed and you couldn't see anything. Another odd thing is that just the day prior, a guy who claimed to be a GE alarm salesman came to their door to try and get them to sign up for an alarm system. This seemed pretty random, and although it could've been a coincidence, it still leaves us all wondering if someone wasn't "casing the place".

I have never been through anything like this, and it scares me...mostly because of the way that it all happened. It makes me feel unsafe in my own home. I have an alarm system, and we'll be reinforcing the frame of our front door with longer screws today, too...but I've seen now that if someone wants in, they are going to find a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,434,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek74 View Post
Another odd thing is that just the day prior, a guy who claimed to be a GE alarm salesman came to their door to try and get them to sign up for an alarm system. This seemed pretty random, and although it could've been a coincidence, it still leaves us all wondering if someone wasn't "casing the place".
It wasn't a coincidence. I've never seen an alarm company that sends people through neighborhoods door to door. I wonder how many other folks opened their doors for this guy?

Quote:
I have never been through anything like this, and it scares me...mostly because of the way that it all happened. It makes me feel unsafe in my own home. I have an alarm system, and we'll be reinforcing the frame of our front door with longer screws today, too...but I've seen now that if someone wants in, they are going to find a way.
Well you can buy a gun, learn how to use it & practice, practice, practice. Does your community have a crime watch?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well you can buy a gun, learn how to use it & practice, practice, practice. Does your community have a crime watch?
Actually, we are going gun shopping today. I've always had a handgun in the past, and we have been talking about getting a new one anyway, this just sped up the process.

We do not yet have a crime watch, but you better believe that we will soon. Many of our neighbors came out last night while the police were here, and that was the hot topic among all of us.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:09 AM

2,175 posts, read 2,906,264 times
Whew....scary stuff. Glad nobody got hurt but is surely must make you jumpy. I would have a hard time being alone in the house after that! We can all hope that somehow, someday these thugs get caught...maybe with a homeowner with a gun??? (half kidding, half not)

Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
Arysley is just too close to some of the bad areas for me. It's nice to go there for lunch, but I wouldn't live there.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Arysley is just too close to some of the bad areas for me. It's nice to go there for lunch, but I wouldn't live there.
I respect your opinion, however I do have some thoughts on this. I have lived in Ayrsley for about a year and a half. This really is a great neighborhood. The people that live here are very friendly, and for the most part, they take care of their homes. We all watch out for each other, too. I definitely get a good sense of community here.

Crime truly has no address. There are pockets of "bad areas" all over Charlotte, but when it comes to the actual crimes committed - of course they happen in the homes in the "nice areas", because, in general, that's where all of the 'good stuff' usually is.

Yes, I am shaken by what happened, but I don't think where we live has anything to do with it at all. This is happening all over Charlotte, just as it happens in just about any big city...especially one growing as fast as we are.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:59 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
Quote:
I respect your opinion, however I do have some thoughts on this. I have lived in Ayrsley for about a year and a half. This really is a great neighborhood. The people that live here are very friendly, and for the most part, they take care of their homes. We all watch out for each other, too. I definitely get a good sense of community here.

Crime truly has no address. There are pockets of "bad areas" all over Charlotte, but when it comes to the actual crimes committed - of course they happen in the homes in the "nice areas", because, in general, that's where all of the 'good stuff' usually is.

Yes, I am shaken by what happened, but I don't think where we live has anything to do with it at all. This is happening all over Charlotte, just as it happens in just about any big city...especially one growing as fast as we are.

Yes, and even if they do arrest the people that did it, they will be released on low bail and do it again and again. I lived not far from Ayrsley for 5 years and the crime was just getting ridiculous in the area. I am glad to be out of Meck.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 AM

285 posts, read 969,691 times
Alarm companies do go door to door. I was contacted by two when I lived in Blakeney Townhomes. I actually called the company as I wanted to know more and it was legit.

Now I am not saying all "salesmen" were legit but there are legit alarm companies that are legit and solicit sales.

Geek, I am gald you are safe from this incident as everyone else in there with you!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
Alarm companies do go door to door. I was contacted by two when I lived in Blakeney Townhomes. I actually called the company as I wanted to know more and it was legit.

Now I am not saying all "salesmen" were legit but there are legit alarm companies that are legit and solicit sales.

Geek, I am gald you are safe from this incident as everyone else in there with you!
Thanks! I'm glad we're all safe, too!

I agree...our alarm company came to our door, too, when we first moved in here. I think that the alarm guy may have been legit - it just raised a question.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,227 times
Maybe it's time to send an engraved invitation to Curtis Sliwa and his band of merry men, inviting them to Charlotte to help with our lawlessness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or