Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 PM

21 posts, read 70,506 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering taking a job with a Charlotte-based company, and know nothing about NC. I'm a California boy, moving from overseas, and want to rent a nice place, in a good area. I'm not sure what the "downtown" areas are like, as I'm used to living in nicer condos/apartments with a good view.
My rental budget is up to 3.5K per month, and I do play golf and love the ocean. The office is in the 77/49/160 highway area, and I don't have to be in the office every day.
I'm 41, straight and single, and wouldn't mind a decent nightlife scene!
Too much to ask for?

Totally lost in NC!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
First off, you won't have an ocean view here -- the ocean is a few hours away. But we do have lakes. Based on where you are working, I would suggest either the Lake Wylie area (you can get lake views there) or Ballantyne, as there is more retail/restaurants there. For what you can spend on rent, you can pretty much live anywhere -- buying would definitely be an option for you, unless this is not a permanent move.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:26 AM

195 posts, read 538,384 times
Hi Jack-
Change your mind on Chicago?
Well you could easily live in Uptown, with a great view, for your budget. You will not find anything like La Jolla or the OC here. Where in Cali did you live?
For night life and a view, stick with Uptown.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM

Hah, Kari....You're quick! Yes Chicago didn't happen, and this is a maybe, but you and all the good people at City-Data are so helpful, that this is one of the first places I go when I'm told there may be a move!
As before, my budget is not really an issue, but would like to get my bang for the buck, and I have certainly lived in more urban settings as of late. I am interested in the good restaurants/bars, etc, but one thing I do worry about is leaving a house when I travel so much.
I guess that's why an apartment or penthouse where I can get a big outdoor space but still lock one door as I leave is appealing. Any ideas from you NC experts? I really appreciate the help!!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
I would definately suggest Uptown Charlotte. Uptown is very safe too.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_jack View Post
Hah, Kari....You're quick! Yes Chicago didn't happen, and this is a maybe, but you and all the good people at City-Data are so helpful, that this is one of the first places I go when I'm told there may be a move!
As before, my budget is not really an issue, but would like to get my bang for the buck, and I have certainly lived in more urban settings as of late. I am interested in the good restaurants/bars, etc, but one thing I do worry about is leaving a house when I travel so much.
I guess that's why an apartment or penthouse where I can get a big outdoor space but still lock one door as I leave is appealing. Any ideas from you NC experts? I really appreciate the help!!
Jack, I think you have some great options in your price range. My top suggestions for you would be either a condo rental uptown, or living up on the lake in a condo. Both will put you in the middle of the nightlife and things to do with singles like yourself.

My other choice would be a rental home on the outskirts of uptown in the Elizabeth or Plaza Midwood area, except for the fact you will be traveling and more likely to have a problem leaving a home unguarded. So, stick to uptown or Lake Norman

Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
I would get a nice penthouse Downtown.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 AM

Thanks for all the input! Where would you guys recommend as far as a penthouse in Uptown? Any really good buildings? Jacuzzi outdoors? Please let me know, as most I've seen have been a bit cheesy!

Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM

Default Thanks for the input!

Any uptown, more upscale condos that you'd recommend?

Cheers,
Jack

Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
The Vue Charlotte, The Avenue and Trademark are all uptown and pretty swanky. I don't know how many of them have been purchased as investment/rental properties, though.

One place you might want to consider is The Residence in the South Park area. TONS of restaurants and shopping in that area, a sprinkling of bars and only a few minutes drive from uptown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte