U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 04:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times

Advertisements

A city data meetup for LGBT members who are newcomers or locals at the Charlotte Pride Festival at Gateway Village on Saturday July 26th.
Out of towners, visitors, out of state are more than welcome to join us.
Due to the crowd will be large the best not so crowded spot I could think of is in the garden by the artistic tree.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/stopbythursday/DSCN1630.jpg (broken link)

There was booths set up in this spot last year but I think we will do ok to meet in this spot. You can hear music fine and Im not sure if they will have a DJ by the steps like they did last year.

================================================== ====================

Here is a list of some of the many entertainers that will be there.
Just click the names for a hint of type of performance to expect.

IRA LEVI (video from Phoenix Pride)
Known for catchy hooks,inspirational lyrics and powerful live performances, Ira remains one of Dance/R&B's most sought- after festival and concert artists.
http://pridecharlotte.com/images/entertainers_2008/Ira%20Levi.jpg

Josh Zuckerman (broken link) (video from Modesto Pride)
While exemplifying the perfect star quality, he continues to carry a message about being true to one's self.
http://pridecharlotte.com/images/entertainers_2008/josh%20zuckerman.jpg

Melissa Reeves (RAW performance)
Reaves is a powerful vocalist and guitar player whose style ranges from driving rock & roll to a funk and groove sound that lends itself to a diverse repertoire of originals
http://pridecharlotte.com/images/entertainers_2007/melissa_reaves.jpg

Queen City Outlaws (http://pridecharlotte.com/images/entertainers_2007/outlaws.jpg - broken link)
country/western dance group of Southern Country Charlotte.
The Queen City Outlaws!

SugarBeach (canadian humor and music)
described as fresh, provocative, positive & dynamic. Their dance-pop EP CD “I Just Love Girls” has been hitting the airwaves and dance floors across Canada & the US and Outvoice listeners have voted Sugarbeach into their GLBT top 40 Chart
http://pridecharlotte.com/images/entertainers_2008/sugarbeach.jpg

More can be found out at the Charlotte Pride Website (http://pridecharlotte.com/entertainment/entertainment_main.html - broken link).

================================================== ============================

It is not listed at this moment when many of performers listed above will be performing but
I am leaning on either a meetup time for 12 p.m or 2 p.m that day.

If you never been to Gateway Village it has a nice center court. There is parking a little up on Trade Street beyond Cedar St.
I think this year they are blocking off parts of Trade Street to allow more room for this event due to it felt cramped last year even though the food vendors was set up on Cedar St so keep that in mind when entering the village.

There will be lots of various type booths and vendors walking around passing out freebees like BofA, Wachovia, Caribou, some realtors, Food Lion etc.
Bring a day pack.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-01-2008 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,725,654 times
I noticed that this posting is catagorized as "sticky". What does that mean and why is it sticky?

Last edited by mm34b; 07-05-2008 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 01:46 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,671,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I noticed that this posting is catagorized as "sticky". What does that mean and why is it sticky? [/IMG]
Sticky means the specific thread remains at the top of the forum or sub-forum list until a moderator un-sticks it. At that point it reverts back to date order of last post. A kind of electronic forum Post-It note or "Sticky".

Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 AM

The schedule of events is now available.

Click here for the full main stage schedule
Click here for the full community stage schedule

This year host hotel is the Blake Hotel

As the official hotel of Pride Charlotte, the Blake Hotel is extending a special room rate of $79.00 for Friday July 25 and Saturday July 26, 2008 and discounted parking of $5.00. The hotelís shuttle will also be available to take you to and from the event.

There also will be events all week such as

Sunday July 20
Gay Day at Carowinds
Kick off Pride week with Gay Day at Carowinds! Discount tickets are available at: http://www.carowinds.com/shop/shopping_corporate_partners.cfm Use code PC08

Wear red shirts and meet at the Sky Tower at 2pm for Meet and Greet and photos.

Avenue of the Carolinas
Charlotte, NC 28273

Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 PM

2:00 pm will be the meetup time if you need more detail let me know and the best way to go to avoid the protestors.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 PM

457 posts, read 1,228,738 times
I really don't get the "Gay Day" thing anywhere it's held, there's no "white or black day", I just don't get it. Absolutely no offense directed any particuliar community...

Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
I really don't get the "Gay Day" thing anywhere it's held, there's no "white or black day", I just don't get it. Absolutely no offense directed any particuliar community...

The gay day at Carowinds is something that Carowinds allow to be promoted and it is a private company so the issue really would need to be address with their administrative staff as to the reason why they do not have the days you mention above.

They by no means are secluding any group on this day. Everyone is still welcome at Carowinds

The Pride Festival is also open to anyone in the public to attend but also is being held at a privately own facility and it also up to the owners of Gateway Village who have decided in the last two years to host this event to show your Pride In Charlotte.
Anyone is welcome to attend and if you dont like the event do not attend or join the protestors that do show up every year but now that this is a private facility they have more restrictions and has to obtain a permit to protest just like Pride organizers had to obtain a permit in order to have police protection.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 PM

20 posts, read 40,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
It's rather simple. As a gay man I can tell you that especially in the South many gay people are closeted to family, friends, and coworkers because of prejudice and fear. These events give an opportunity to these people to be around other gay and accepting people for a day and be comfortable being open about themselves.

Also, in my opinion from a social justice perspective these gatherings show those opposed to us politically that we won't back down in fighting for our rights.

There are no straight prides because we live in a heterodominant society. There is no reason for one. I don't see why you care anyway, no one is forced to go, the only straight people that seem to care are the lovely folks from Operation Save America. They will be around to show us the love

Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,472,947 times
I've always thought of the event as a time where gay folks could come out & enjoy each others' company & make fun of all the straight folks dressed in upholstery cloth.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:03 PM

Motorcycle riders will meet at The Lesbian And Gay Community Center to Ride to Pride Charlotte together. Starting time to be announced! More information to follow, or contact ethnicfoodjunkie@yahoo.com.
Meeting Location: The Lesbian & Gay Community Center
820 Hamilton Street, Suite B-11
(the NC Music Factory Complex)
Charlotte, NC 28206
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or