Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:07 PM

217 posts, read 512,024 times

Advertisements

I am a School Counselor Planning to relocate to CMS area and am a mother of three. I have read that the area is looking for teachers etc. I have also heard horror stories about the school system. Example, because there is no union people are required to work crazy hours till 8:00pm at no notice or can be told to report to another school to work which can be an hour away.

I am from NY where I can't imagine anything like this. Does anyone have any info on this. What are the facts?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 05:22 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Sent you a PM.

Dawn

Old 06-21-2008, 07:18 PM

How do you post a PM?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:36 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
You have a contract with the system, not an individual school... so yes, you can be sent anywhere in the county (in CMS). No school is going to require you to stay like that. I have never heard of that and I have worked for CMS and UCPS. Unions are not illegal in this state, just collective bargaining. I have only heard of coaches staying that late and that is because it is part of the job. Good luck on your search. Don't let the crazy stories scare you away. Just do your research on where you want to be.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:44 PM

What are the hours for counselors and teachers during the year and the summer?
What testing keeps the counselors working till 2am. I am scocked to haer such stories!!!We are not responsible for testing issues in NY. We have Regents that the teachers grade and of couse we are interested in grades for course selections. We work depending upon if it's middle or high school 7 hours a day. You may stay a little later every so often but nothing to be upset about. we work a couple extra days in the summer as opposed to teachers. Again nothing to be upset about. We get paid for it.How can the school system be soooo different. Isn't there someone who oversees working conditions there.
Wow...You gave me a lot to think about. I'm worried Now. Thanks for your inforamtion. I really wish you the best. Good luck on your move back home!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Thank You Cball75!!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:49 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoerio View Post
How do you post a PM?
Not post a PM, sent a PM. PM is short for 'private message.' Click on the direct messages link in the upper right hand corner. If you have any new ones, it will say "unread 1"

Old 06-21-2008, 09:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Sent you a PM.

Dawn
Dawn, regular posters here all know how much you miss the left coast and your wonderful union - but don't go scaring the newbies TOOO much okay?? Being a teacher here isn't THAT bad is it? The ones I know are all pretty happy and love what they do.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Dawn, regular posters here all know how much you miss the left coast and your wonderful union - but don't go scaring the newbies TOOO much okay?? Being a teacher here isn't THAT bad is it? The ones I know are all pretty happy and love what they do.
loves - I think Dawn is not so much scaring them but giving them a reality check on the conditions here. The OP is from NY which means that she has no idea about how the school system works. I think it's an entirely different situation for someone who is from the Charlotte area deciding on becoming a teacher and at least having a modicum of knowledge of how the area school systems operate. A NY teacher might tell the superintendent who told her she had to go to another school to go take a hike! I doubt that Dr. Gorman hears that down here, although he might have run into that mindset in his previous California job. Many teachers and counselors like the poster might expect that free family health care benefits are part and parcel of the job, when in fact, they are not down here. So if Dawn wants to provide a little "caveat emptor" advice for a prospective teacher or education professional from a place like NY, I say let her! Incoming educators should at least get some information on what to really expect, rather than to be disillusioned down the line. Forewarned is forearmed!

loves- I've been a big critic of the way the NJEA has controlled the state of NJ and are in large measure, responsible for the sad fiscal state of affairs there, but I also think teachers in NC get the short end of the stick! Somewhere out there loves, there is a "happy medium" state, but I haven't figured out which one it is!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
UGH! I hate that term left coast.....from what people have used it for it implies that ALL folks from the West Coast are liberal leftists.....that is so not me!

I have never said I had a wonderful union either.....I was never a strong union supporter. I do see their value more now that I have worked without one though.

14 months ago I turned in my degrees and credentials. NC has still not given me my credentials here nor have they given me credit for my years of service or my two MAs. There has been glitch upon glitch, all on the NC side of things. They assure me I will get back pay and credit once it all goes through, but after 14 months I am a bit sour about the whole thing.

Teaching isn't bad....the kids are great, the other teachers are great, the administration left little to complain about....but the pay stinks, the hours stink, the workload is more than many other places, and the benefits are terrible.

There are many teachers who move here, work for a year or two, and then move back. There is a reason for that.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte