U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM

2,954 posts, read 6,120,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiMichigan View Post
Wow! I find it hard to believe that some think NC or "The South" corners the market on superficial materialism and feelings of having to compete with the neighbors down the street. I'm originally from Louisiana, but have lived in Michigan for the past 13 years. I can assure you here in Michigan you will find those who gossip, judge you by what church you attend, car you drive (better drive a new "domestic"), mall where you shop, neighborhood or what side of town you live in, if you carry designer purses. The reality is we need to ignore all of that and certainly not get caught up in the game. Our security, faith, and view of self needs to be grounded in Christ. I'm sorry y'all have had such bad experiences in the south.
Also from MI, born and raised. I assume you were in the SE part of the state? Let me assure you that not all of MI is like this - head out to the rural parts where people are honest hard workers, and you will see different. My experience in Charlotte sees truths in what Honesty22 had to say. I haven't experienced all bad parts, just the facade of Southern "hospitality." Oh, and the astronomical quotes for work to be done on the house or vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 PM

3,450 posts, read 3,132,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty22 View Post
I know it's much later, but I just had to give a big AMEN to anifani even if it is years later. So it was still an accurate reflection in 2011.

I lived in Charlotte, NC for many years and it's very hypocritical there. They go to church, but I don't see many true Christians there as they're very pretentious and gossipy. They were big judgers (what church do you go to, etc.) and don't let many into their circle unless there is private gain on their part. Just be careful and pay attention.

I do believe in adapting to where you move to or at least try to do as Romans do, but it didn't seem to matter there - if you're an outsider or a "Yankee" then you're already on the blacklist so seek out trusted people (outsiders) that you can trust to do work in your house, etc. If you get an outrageous estimate for work... uh yeah if it sounds ridiculous, then it probably is! Get a second opinion from a "trusted" source.

Not "everyone" is like that there, but unfortunately most I met were from my experience. I hope other transplants fair much better than I did.

Charlotte is a beautiful city and one of the cleanest I've ever seen, but the cowardly "spit in your food when you're not lookin" mentality was too much for me. Some say they do it so you will leave... well for me it was "GLADLY!" I'll take my money with me too.

OH and one more thing - almost every single Southerner/business contractor (real estate agent, HVAC contractors, landscaper, shop owners, etc.) always said they had relatives that were from up North and I think their chosen state is Michigan. It's a total lie. They think we'll warm up to them if they have roots up there... little do they know that once we find out you lose all credibility as where I'm from we don't deal with phony people or people that tell lies. I wish they knew that if you were just a good person that would be good enough for us. So sad.
LOL, as a southerner that has lived many years in the NE corridor (DC to NY), as soon as someone finds out you're from down south, all they see is stupid, country, backwater, etc...but, but there are some decent folk there. I've never been as hastled or attempted to be hustled till I moved North, I was in shock for a few years (as soon as I got the "I have relatives down south", uh-oh here comes the BS)....I-95 north of Richmond is ONE BIG HUSTLE and wannabe-big-time bad movie! I ain't buying your two-bit story. I always get a kick out the self-importance of those from a big-name city, New York, Philly,DC, Chicago...not everyone but it's a calling card for chip-on-the-shoulder for some...well, well, I'm from lil ole NC...just got running water and cable.

This is america, hypocritical and phony is everywhere...you just didn't like the southern version...bless yo heart. Go home, it's the same there, only you're more familiar with the hustle and hustlers.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 09-06-2011 at 08:28 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM

17 posts, read 31,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Also from MI, born and raised. I assume you were in the SE part of the state? Let me assure you that not all of MI is like this - head out to the rural parts where people are honest hard workers, and you will see different. My experience in Charlotte sees truths in what Honesty22 had to say. I haven't experienced all bad parts, just the facade of Southern "hospitality." Oh, and the astronomical quotes for work to be done on the house or vehicles.
Please don't misunderstand. I really like Michigan and have enjoyed living here for the past 13 years. Just wanted to point out you will find negative traits across the U.S. Certainly not just in The South or Michigan or The North or Big cities. Sorry you have not experienced that Southern hospitality. Still exists. I would have to say my family experienced the northern version of Southern hospitality in Michigan as well. It was nice to realize there are friendly, helpful folks everywhere. Maybe it was just how we approached our neighbors and how we viewed our community, but we had a wonderful experience and are looking forward to the same in the Charlotte area. As far as the quotes, maybe you are comparing rural vs city. We experienced sticker shock here in Michigan on all house services and of course, housing in general. And yes, I'm sure quotes are given based on your zip code. The bubble bursting and economic situation here has help to bring that back to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or