Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM

14 posts, read 35,473 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...my family and I are planning to move to NC in the next year or so. Me and my husband are going to Charlotte next month to begin our search for a good area. Any suggestions?

My family is Cuban. My grandparents do not speak English, but might live w/my parents. Its a big nucleus moving together. We can't take Miami anymore. We've lived here since 1986, when my family moved from Los Angeles where I was born. This is no longer the same. We're looking for a nice spot to raise our daughter.

Any suggestions on areas to look at? Any areas where there are more hispanics which might be good for my grandparents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,549,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr78 View Post
Hi everyone...my family and I are planning to move to NC in the next year or so. Me and my husband are going to Charlotte next month to begin our search for a good area. Any suggestions?

My family is Cuban. My grandparents do not speak English, but might live w/my parents. Its a big nucleus moving together. We can't take Miami anymore. We've lived here since 1986, when my family moved from Los Angeles where I was born. This is no longer the same. We're looking for a nice spot to raise our daughter.

Any suggestions on areas to look at? Any areas where there are more hispanics which might be good for my grandparents?
Unfortunately the areas with alot of hispanics...you would probably not want to live. Those are not the best of areas and have fairly high crime rates.

I would say that parts of South Blvd would be the best as far as niceness with alot of hispanics.

It is very different here than Miami.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 PM

I figured. So then let me forget about Hispanic...I guess I'm running away from Miami crime so I prefer family friendly. What do you guys recommend. We're looking to move w/in a year. I want to go up and look at areas.

What would be the best areas?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 PM

280 posts, read 948,212 times
Areas off South Blvd like Starmount are not terrible as far as crime goes, and a non-english speaker could survive just fine. Also, these areas are great investments as the QOL is greatly improving and property values are skyrocketing with the train running through the area.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
Areas off South Blvd like Starmount are not terrible as far as crime goes, and a non-english speaker could survive just fine. Also, these areas are great investments as the QOL is greatly improving and property values are skyrocketing with the train running through the area.
Totally agree...that is why I suggested some parts of South Blvd...over Eastway Drive.

And South Blvd is home to the Light Rail into the city...

Old 06-23-2008, 01:42 PM

how's the school system in that area? that's important to us too.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
how's the school system in that area? that's important to us too.
Let's start over...how much do you expect to be able to spend on a home?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Money is not an issue. Both of us have solid careers and we're not really looking to save...rather find good areas. In Miami a hole in the wall runs in the 300s...so if I'm going to spend that here...I rather spend it elsewhere.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Money is not an issue. Both of us have solid careers and we're not really looking to save...rather find good areas. In Miami a hole in the wall runs in the 300s...so if I'm going to spend that here...I rather spend it elsewhere.
In that case, if schools are the most important issue be aware most of the best public schools are in south Charlotte.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:09 PM

Really depends on what area you will be working in...YES Charlotte does have quite a bit of traffic...you would not want to live in South Charlotte and work in North Charlotte or vice versa.

Fort Mill, SC also has very good schools and is only 30 minutes even during rush hour from Uptown Charlotte...it is just across the state line and you have the convenience or Pineville, NC & Ballantyne (South Charlotte) shopping & restaurants.

GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte