U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:15 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,409,050 times

Advertisements

One easy way to tell if you're not going to like a neighborhood....look for check-cashing stores. End of story.

You don't see too many of those in Ballantyne or Piper Glen do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
One easy way to tell if you're not going to like a neighborhood....look for check-cashing stores. End of story.

You don't see too many of those in Ballantyne or Piper Glen do you?
Now, that's the kind of information we can use!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 PM

237 posts, read 775,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybee22 View Post
What part of the Charlotte area is "scary"? Where do the gangs live/hang out and where are the drive by shootings? I'm just curious because I haven't seen anything close to that anywhere around here yet and would like to know where its at so I can avoid living near there. Typically "scary" parts of a city look scary (bars on windows, broken down cars and appliances in yards, chain link fences around the front and back yards...etc.). I have yet to see that here. I'm seriously thinking that people who think Charlotte has high crime have never seen real crime and are from po-dunk little towns...
So, am I missing something? Or do I really have nothing to worry about here as long as I lock my doors and car at night (which comes automatic to me). People on this forum said these neighborhoods are scary: Kingstree, Northridge Village, Henderson Oaks, Peachtree Hills, Brookmere, Stewart's Crossing, Cambridge, and Creekside at Coulwood...I've driven through Kingstree, Peachtree Hills and Brookmere...and thought they looked decent with cute houses. Some of the yards weren't well kept but I certainly didn't feel afraid for my life driving through there.
Coming from a person who has lived in NYC and worked in some of the badder parts of NYC, there are areas of Charlotte that are pretty bad, although the housing projects here are like garden apartments. A big reason for crime here is the soft liberal judicial system that is here that lets offenders out for low bail and shorter sentences, so criminals feel that they can do whatever they want and they will be able to get out on low bail and/or shorter prison sentences so therefore crime pays to them
You should stay away from most areas of East Charlotte (i.e. grier heights, areas along albemarle road, the plaza, milton road and north west charlotte and west charlotte, freedom drive is a pretty bad area. Good areas include south park, myers park, most of south charlotte and ballantyne. Hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
Coming from a person who has lived in NYC and worked in some of the badder parts of NYC, there are areas of Charlotte that are pretty bad, although the housing projects here are like garden apartments. A big reason for crime here is the soft liberal judicial system that is here that lets offenders out for low bail and shorter sentences, so criminals feel that they can do whatever they want and they will be able to get out on low bail and/or shorter prison sentences so therefore crime pays to them
You should stay away from most areas of East Charlotte (i.e. grier heights, areas along albemarle road, the plaza, milton road and north west charlotte and west charlotte, freedom drive is a pretty bad area. Good areas include south park, myers park, most of south charlotte and ballantyne. Hope this helps.
There is good places to live in NOrthwest Charlotte spefically from Beatties Ford Road north of Sunset Road. Neighborhoods off of Reames Drive. Plenty of new homes and apartments going up on this road as well due to it close proximity to North Lake. I actually think this area is a good investment place due to the mall and future 485 in that area.
Good safe homes near Sunset Golf Course, Oak Hills Golf Course, and the developments that are on Charlotte border near Mt. Island Lake and the developments along Mt. Holly Huntersville Road.

Also the Plaza has desirable areas as well.
Desirable near Reedy Creek Park
Midwood area
Matheson Avenue area.

Freedom Drive is mostly industrial so should not be even a concern for living and once you get to the part that alot of living is located it is safe area to be near Moores Chapel Rd.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 AM

28 posts, read 81,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Dont live near the big blue dots of the crime map
or where you can connect alot of dots and hopefully you will be ok.

Crime Mapping (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime+Mapping.htm - broken link)
This site is very helpful, just wanted to add the following as well as I found it very user-friendly and gives info from all over the US- spotcrime.com

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 AM

237 posts, read 775,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There is good places to live in NOrthwest Charlotte spefically from Beatties Ford Road north of Sunset Road. Neighborhoods off of Reames Drive. Plenty of new homes and apartments going up on this road as well due to it close proximity to North Lake. I actually think this area is a good investment place due to the mall and future 485 in that area.
Good safe homes near Sunset Golf Course, Oak Hills Golf Course, and the developments that are on Charlotte border near Mt. Island Lake and the developments along Mt. Holly Huntersville Road.

Also the Plaza has desirable areas as well.
Desirable near Reedy Creek Park
Midwood area
Matheson Avenue area.

Freedom Drive is mostly industrial so should not be even a concern for living and once you get to the part that alot of living is located it is safe area to be near Moores Chapel Rd.
Sunny

I agree north on Beatties Ford Road, north of Sunset Road is nice but wouldnt that be considered Huntersville up there. My wife and I looked at houses up there, but as you go south on Beatties ford you can tell where the neighborhood turns

Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
Sunny

I agree north on Beatties Ford Road, north of Sunset Road is nice but wouldnt that be considered Huntersville up there. My wife and I looked at houses up there, but as you go south on Beatties ford you can tell where the neighborhood turns
I thought the same but Huntersville city limit does not begin til you you reach McCoy Road coming from Charlotte.
Also on Mount Holly Huntersville road if you head towards Mount Holly all those subdivisons are in Charlotte city limits all the way down to Highway 16 near Mountain Island Lake.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,669 times
We are considering a move to Charlotte, but are very put off by the crime statistics. We have a young child and I am concerned about him growing up in a 'dangerous' city. When you compare cities using spotcrime.com, Charlotte looks pretty bad. We have lived in LA and now in Fort Worth, which is slightly larger than Charlotte and also growing pretty fast but has no where near the crime. According to Speirling's, Charlotte rates 350 out of 400 for crime, only 50 places in the US have worse crime. Most of it seems to be robberies at gunpoint. I realize its easy to say there isnt a crime problem if you personally have not experienced crime, but what about the mood of the city? Any other thoughts?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therunyan View Post
We are considering a move to Charlotte, but are very put off by the crime statistics. We have a young child and I am concerned about him growing up in a 'dangerous' city. When you compare cities using spotcrime.com, Charlotte looks pretty bad. We have lived in LA and now in Fort Worth, which is slightly larger than Charlotte and also growing pretty fast but has no where near the crime. According to Speirling's, Charlotte rates 350 out of 400 for crime, only 50 places in the US have worse crime. Most of it seems to be robberies at gunpoint. I realize its easy to say there isnt a crime problem if you personally have not experienced crime, but what about the mood of the city? Any other thoughts?
If you are judging by that website you will notice there is more areas that dont have crime than do . move to those areas! Charlotte is a big city length wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or