Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times

Advertisements

Where did OP say he lived there for 18 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 AM

825 posts, read 2,819,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammillsfan View Post
I've found a number of posts on this forum of people full of praise for Waxhaw, but I have to disagree with that sentiment. While Waxhaw is still full of the friendliest people I've ever come across in a community, it's turned into a jumbled mess of ridiculous traffic congestion at most hours of the day. The building projects are out of control (a Lowe's and several mega shopping centers on a 2 lane road? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???) and driving down Providence Road around noon is like driving through Egypt with the sandstorms from construction, heavy congestion, and relentless heat when the many heatwaves come.

People, don't be fooled by all the Waxhaw praise. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is coming from developers who stand to benefit from you moving here.
1. Careful with the finger pointing in saying "you." I think all residents who live in Union County, transplant or native, could do a lot if they simply voted and spoke their minds at the ballot box.

2. If health problems develop from stress, congestion, dust, and heat at least you'll have convenient health care with the new medical offices being built

Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
SUNNY??? How could you delete my post and say it was off topic? It was exactly on topic? I was saying Waxhaw was NOT a hellhole but that I understood what the op was trying to say - that Waxhaw used to be a sleepy little town and now is very congested with traffic. For people who have been there as long as him this is distressing. That's all I said, so I can't see how I was off topic? Those pictures of BROOKLYN were what was off topic, if anything, LOL!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,362 times
Maybe if we tell folks it is a hellhole, they will stop coming here in droves and the infrastructure can catch up?

My family has lived in this community for hundreds of years. We have seen some major change. I just don't think newcomers can wrap their brains around how quickly the change came about and how overwhelmed the local governments were. For most of this area, when the boom began, it was just wide-open spaces with only Union County commissioners to govern it. With the distance from Monroe to the western extreme side of the county, I just think the Union County government folks were not paying attention as the growth spilled over the Mecklenburg line after the development for I-485. All the "in name only towns" (Marvin, Weddington, Stallings, Indian Trail, Fairview) attempted to incorporate to throw up a wall to stop the development, but the development jumped over the wall and headed to Waxhaw (which was an old town with a government in place and which welcomed the development).

So, now development is spreading from Waxhaw. The "new" towns are now creating governments, but these things were not in place. The roads are not something the towns even have control over, as these are handled by the State (DOT) in Raleigh in the eastern part of NC (we are in the western part of NC). This is such a complicated thing with all these new towns trying to establish their identities. What the founding members of these towns visioned is NOT what the newest residents are looking for (consider the hoopla recently with the town of Marvin about who was "acceptable" to be annexed). So, creating a new town properly takes time and input from the residents - all of them. And, since Providence Rd runs through Weddington, Marvin and Waxhaw (who all have different visions for its development), you can imagine how difficult it is to have a united vision at the MUMPO meetings. (Check this link for info on MUMPO - MUMPO - About Us (http://www.mumpo.org/About_Us.htm - broken link)).

As someone who has been in this community for a very long time, I barely recognize it. We are in a major transition and I feel it is important that we work together to mold our community into a great place. If you are coming from a place where you expect the government to provide for your every want and need, then Waxhaw is not where you want to be. If you are coming here with the mentality of "ask not what your community can do for you, but what you can do for your community" (paraphrasing a famous quote), then please come on down. Just know that growth is frustrating and inconvenient at times...but if you roll up your sleeves and be a part of the solution, it can be exciting.

P.S. To say that construction dirt blowing across the highway is a sandstorm is a bit of an overstatement. Construction creates dirt, but only for a season. Make some pictures to show your grandkids later.

Last edited by marvinnative; 06-24-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Added MUMPO link

Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
MarvinNative: Excellent post w/ some real perspective . . . So many of the areas around Charlotte are in a major transitional phase . . . and like you - "I barely recognize" most of the metropolis these days, LOL. I barely recognized it when I moved back here in 2002 and the growth has been phenomenal even since then!!!

Really appreciate your insight on this thread.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Where did OP say he lived there for 18 years?
And I've lived in Waxhaw for the past eighteen years. Not many people here can say that. :P

Post #9

Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
And I've lived in Waxhaw for the past eighteen years. Not many people here can say that. :P

Post #9
Thanks, I was looking for "18".

Old 06-24-2008, 10:46 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Maybe if we tell folks it is a hellhole, they will stop coming here in droves and the infrastructure can catch up?

My family has lived in this community for hundreds of years. We have seen some major change. I just don't think newcomers can wrap their brains around how quickly the change came about and how overwhelmed the local governments were. For most of this area, when the boom began, it was just wide-open spaces with only Union County commissioners to govern it. With the distance from Monroe to the western extreme side of the county, I just think the Union County government folks were not paying attention as the growth spilled over the Mecklenburg line after the development for I-485. All the "in name only towns" (Marvin, Weddington, Stallings, Indian Trail, Fairview) attempted to incorporate to throw up a wall to stop the development, but the development jumped over the wall and headed to Waxhaw (which was an old town with a government in place and which welcomed the development).

So, now development is spreading from Waxhaw. The "new" towns are now creating governments, but these things were not in place. The roads are not something the towns even have control over, as these are handled by the State (DOT) in Raleigh in the eastern part of NC (we are in the western part of NC). This is such a complicated thing with all these new towns trying to establish their identities. What the founding members of these towns visioned is NOT what the newest residents are looking for (consider the hoopla recently with the town of Marvin about who was "acceptable" to be annexed). So, creating a new town properly takes time and input from the residents - all of them. And, since Providence Rd runs through Weddington, Marvin and Waxhaw (who all have different visions for its development), you can imagine how difficult it is to have a united vision at the MUMPO meetings. (Check this link for info on MUMPO - MUMPO - About Us (http://www.mumpo.org/About_Us.htm - broken link)).

As someone who has been in this community for a very long time, I barely recognize it. We are in a major transition and I feel it is important that we work together to mold our community into a great place. If you are coming from a place where you expect the government to provide for your every want and need, then Waxhaw is not where you want to be. If you are coming here with the mentality of "ask not what your community can do for you, but what you can do for your community" (paraphrasing a famous quote), then please come on down. Just know that growth is frustrating and inconvenient at times...but if you roll up your sleeves and be a part of the solution, it can be exciting.

P.S. To say that construction dirt blowing across the highway is a sandstorm is a bit of an overstatement. Construction creates dirt, but only for a season. Make some pictures to show your grandkids later.
Maybe if the city stops issuing permits to build these development both commercial and residential the people will stop coming in droves. Stop blaming the leaves and try addressing the root of whatever you all perceive the problem to be.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Maybe if the city stops issuing permits to build these development both commercial and residential the people will stop coming in droves. Stop blaming the leaves and try addressing the root of whatever you all perceive the problem to be.
There are too many roots to blame...that's the problem.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
There are too many roots to blame...that's the problem.
marvinnative - Your previous post was a very enlightening view from the prospective of a long-time resident of the area. Yes, there are many "roots" to blame. Some of your neighbors, who saw "dollar bills" in their eyes, and all too quickly, sold off those once bucolic, family farms. Those Union County comissioners, who never met a developer they didn't like (and whose pockets are lined with their money) and the NCDOT who are so short-sighted they can't see an "inch" beyond the Raleigh suburbs. To them, I'd add all the newcomers who expect the instant gratification of services, that the high taxes (which they so despise) could give them.

Another set of problems are in the very structure of the muncipal governments and their relationship with the county. The towns are here are poorly defined in regards to who owns what. There is certainly a lot of "unincorporated land" in the county that is not a part of any of the towns in Union County. This amazes me, because where I came from, there hasn't been much "unincorporated land" since George Washington was knee-high to a grasshopper! All the "in name only towns" (Marvin, Weddington, Stallings, Indian Trail, Fairview) you mentioned sound like a creation of County Commisioners who saw the "Southward Ho" parade of Lexus RX-350s and Land Rovers containing "Sweet Betsys from Pike" (former Lizzies who lived by the New Jersey Turnpike ) as a "giant cash cow" for their Union County Empire. Their husbands "Ike" are now running for mayor in those enclaves! Couple that with a NCDOT whose only utterances are "manana, "Any Day Now......Any Day" and "we don't have the money", pretty much sum up the state of Wastern Union County.

When will it change? Soon or in 30 years, I'm not going to pin down an exact date. Waxhaw's motto will always be "There will always be an Antique Shop in Waxhaw". That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte