Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
We knew about the traffic and construction when we moved..and we are ok with it...
But I understand where OP is coming from, he lived there for 18 years. Traffic was never like that and as it gets more populated, traffic is going to get worse. To jump on him like mad dogs is wrong, think about where you moved from. You were probably just as upset seeing the quiet town with little to no traffic grow into a sububan metropolis. Only thing I disagree with, of course, is his discriptive word used to describe it. But cut him some slack, he is just bothered by change and unfortunately, some people do feel that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
If you are looking for spacious farmland and think that industry and "city" living is a hellhole, then yes, I can agree with you.

If you actually like city living, then Waxhaw is finally becoming one.

Dawn

Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammillsfan View Post
People, don't be fooled by all the Waxhaw praise. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is coming from developers who stand to benefit from you moving here.
I somewhat agree.

Last Thursday I took the LONG way home enjoying the wonderful weather on two wheels.
From downtown Waxhaw I took Waxhaw-Marvin Road and could not believe all that development has been approved off a two lane road. The developers should have to pony up for road improvements. I confess I am no traffic engineer, but in 18-24 months it is going to be a nightmare down there, way too many residents and retail going in for the available roads.

It seems the same people are in charge of all the development right on Hwy-74 near Monroe.
Charlotte to Monroe used to be a 15 minute trip, now with the stoplights it is an hour.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 AM

293 posts, read 959,031 times
I have to agree it is a ridiculous place for a Lowes Home Improvement, but I wouldn't say Waxhaw is becoming a "hellhole".

Old 06-24-2008, 06:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
But I understand where OP is coming from, he lived there for 18 years. Traffic was never like that and as it gets more populated, traffic is going to get worse. To jump on him like mad dogs is wrong, think about where you moved from. You were probably just as upset seeing the quiet town with little to no traffic grow into a sububan metropolis. Only thing I disagree with, of course, is his discriptive word used to describe it. But cut him some slack, he is just bothered by change and unfortunately, some people do feel that way.
I gotta say . . . my feelings about this post are in line w/ what MDtoNC is saying here . . . I do understand where the OP is coming from w/ his frustration and concerns about Waxhaw (and surrounding area's) future in re: to density w/ housing and traffic. I am concerned about development and planning all over the CLT metro area . . . and Waxhaw has especially perplexed me . . .

So Yes - OP overstated w/ the word HELLHOLE . . . I know a HellHole when I see one, and Waxhaw ain't THAT . . . but congested and frustrating and over developed at spots . . . well . . . gotta agree that things just have not been been planned out as well as they should have. I look to city fathers who handed out permits . . . zoning . . . builders who have grabbed up land . . . bankers who have lent the money to fund the building projects . . . seems like there have been a lot of hands in the pot that has been stirred to create the situation that now confronts people who live in/around Waxhaw.

Just as I think we all agree we know a HellHole when we see one . . . I also know that if you have seen a well-planned metropolis, you recognize another when you see it . . . and so much about development around the CLT area does NOT look well-planned to me. Just MHO . . .

So I do see where Sammills is coming from on this one . . . even if the title of his thread was perhaps a bit of an overstatement, Hee Hee.

SAMMILLS: I feel your pain!!! Hopefully, the longterm results will be much more positive than the pain of the present . . .

Old 06-24-2008, 07:01 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
I feel for the guy who lived there for 18 years and now has that mess coming. A proper city expands the roadways before commercial/retail comes in. Providence Road south of 485 is a mess and will be that way for a long while. An accident shuts down the road. About every morning we hear of an accident on that road. This was the main reason why we decided to move somewhere else. Also, what still baffles me is that they continue to expand the retail near cureton which is overrun by the water treatment plants smell.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:17 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04 View Post
I have to agree it is a ridiculous place for a Lowe's Home Improvement, but I wouldn't say Waxhaw is becoming a "hellhole".
Are we talking about the Lowe's store being built at the intersection of Indian-Waxhaw and Weddington rd? I thought that was to be a Lowe's Food store?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
One other thing, does the term McMansion offend anyone here? I see people use this term quite often to describe homes in Waxhaw or Union County. First off, not all homes are McMansions. Second of all, what is wrong with a large home? Mcmansion just has such a negative connotation to me.
"McMansions" is a widely used term which has become wildly popular during the real estate bubble. Just like the term "POS" which I use frequently to describe overpriced capes in the old Northeast.....its just a general term to high

There is nothing wrong w/new construction. I love it and am extremely happy. Not everyone does and that's ok too....whatever floats your boat.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:53 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I completley understand where the original POSTER is coming from as when we moved to NJ it was a quaint town and well now its full of gigantic homes and new stores and yes TRAFFIC however I wouldnt say Waxhaw it is a hellhole, and again all these areas will eventually be developed, that is just the way it is..and I understand that its sad, its sad that they are taking down tons and tons of trees for a Lowes improvement center, which I agree doesnt belong there either...so anyway, No need to jump on me there are plenty of people that LOVE the way waxhaw is weather it be that have lived thre for a while or the new people coming in...and again people read these boards and not everyone feels this way, and it is a bit negative...yes it has its problem again because of the growth and the roads stink and stip malls I got that, but for some people it is a great place to raise their families, and its everything maybe they didnt have where they came from...

Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 AM

825 posts, read 2,820,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Are we talking about the Lowe's store being built at the intersection of Indian-Waxhaw and Weddington rd? I thought that was to be a Lowe's Food store?
Diamondplayer....there is a Lowe's big box store being built at the corner of NC-16 (providence rd.) and Cuthbertson Road across the street from the still new Harris Teeter on Cureton Parkway.

When I drove by there the other day, at least one cement wall had been raised. I couldn't see all the construction b/c I was coming from Waxhaw and there's the large mound of dirt at the corner blocking my view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte