U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Development: Charlotte, local shopping, transplants, local, target store.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,998,672 times

Advertisements

Over years we have lived in several counties/cities that were experiencing tremendous growth and so we understand the development that usually accompanies the growth. However, this is the first area we have been where the commercial development seems to be just, well, overdone.

I can get to 4 (soon to be 5) Target Stores in 15 minutes or less, I can't even count all the Harris Teeters in that same range!!

Maybe it is partly due to my shopping habits, I go out infrequently but like to have everything close together when I get there....KWIM? I don't need a shopping plaza on every corner for convenience.

I guess every little town wants their own shopping close by, but then I hear people also complaining about the development, the loss of rural areas and such, that is a big contradiction. You can't have it both ways.

Are there any towns/areas bucking this trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,863,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Over years we have lived in several counties/cities that were experiencing tremendous growth and so we understand the development that usually accompanies the growth. However, this is the first area we have been where the commercial development seems to be just, well, overdone.

I can get to 4 (soon to be 5) Target Stores in 15 minutes or less, I can't even count all the Harris Teeters in that same range!!

Maybe it is partly due to my shopping habits, I go out infrequently but like to have everything close together when I get there....KWIM? I don't need a shopping plaza on every corner for convenience.

I guess every little town wants their own shopping close by, but then I hear people also complaining about the development, the loss of rural areas and such, that is a big contradiction. You can't have it both ways.

Are there any towns/areas bucking this trend?
Yes, Mineral Springs comes to mind as one bucking the trend.

Elected Officials

Their mayor regularly challenges the overdevelopment.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:39 AM

And, I think you are right. It IS a big contradiction, because we don't all want the same things right now. Newcomers want everything right nearby (where's the Starbucks!) Natives were happy to brew their own coffee and sit out on their porches and smell the fresh air. (Although, I'm sure some of us have been won over by the designer coffees).

From a retail perspective, I don't think these companies would be expanding to every corner if their researchers didn't tell them that the demographics could support the expansion. I think they smell the money and are trying to put their version of the "infrastructure" in place in advance of the people.

That's the funny thing about us citizens. When someone builds a school a little too large, we complain that our government has wasted our tax dollars by building larger than the current need. And, as soon as we drag in the mobile classrooms, we complain that they should have had the vision to build larger schools. Jeez...why would anyone run for elected office these days??

It takes time to plan and build, and we are growing so fast and so fickle that what we wanted yesterday is not what we want today. Ask Weddington about the library they wanted to build. They planned, bought land, raised money. And now, the growth has moved past Weddington and now Weddington is not where the citizens want the library to be. And the question being raised is, should the county put in one large regional library, or should each town lobby for it's own smaller version. Taxpayer's money is always an object. What makes sense today (with the money available right now) will likely cause our children's generation to wonder why we didn't think ahead or build bigger or better. But, as we look to retirement and fixed incomes, we don't want to get taxed out of our homes, do we? Perspective is everything.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM

807 posts, read 2,039,701 times
Oh Marvin, you hurt my feelings . You got this newcomer all wrong (probably a few more). Right now if you made a left out of my development Harris Teeter is 2 miles away, if I turn right another one 3 miles away. If you put one across the street, I would use that one. But I don't need it that close, 3 miles is outstanding (much closer than what I had). Its not the newcomer fault these things are being built. I don't like to see the over development either, I've lived through it already in NJ (so have many other newcomers). I used to live on a dirt road, where people hunted, rode dirt bikes, shot their guns etc. Those days are long gone.

Anyway, I'm not giving you a hard time, just watch the labeling of "newcomers" as a plague. You may come to find that most are on your side.

By the way, I don't drink Starbucks coffee either .

Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Oh Marvin, you hurt my feelings . You got this newcomer all wrong (probably a few more). Right now if you made a left out of my development Harris Teeter is 2 miles away, if I turn right another one 3 miles away. If you put one across the street, I would use that one. But I don't need it that close, 3 miles is outstanding (much closer than what I had). Its not the newcomer fault these things are being built. I don't like to see the over development either, I've lived through it already in NJ (so have many other newcomers). I used to live on a dirt road, where people hunted, rode dirt bikes, shot their guns etc. Those days are long gone.

Anyway, I'm not giving you a hard time, just watch the labeling of "newcomers" as a plague. You may come to find that most are on your side.

By the way, I don't drink Starbucks coffee either .

Oh, so sorry! Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I'll watch my paintbrush in the future. Thanks for the reminder, YRGM. I know that everyone doesn't want the same things and I'm pleased that there are those who appreciate simple pleasures.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM

807 posts, read 2,039,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Oh, so sorry! Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I'll watch my paintbrush in the future. Thanks for the reminder, YRGM. I know that everyone doesn't want the same things and I'm pleased that there are those who appreciate simple pleasures.
LOL.....Thanks, I was just messing around with you. This tread kinda goes hand in hand with the "Waxhaw hellhole" thread. The key is government. I'm gonna give you a "back in NJ" story. I mentioned the dirt roads etc. in my old town, well the next town over wasn't much different. In our town we had a lady whose efforts to keep the town rural looking never ended. She got her self elected to the Township commision and later became mayor. Her and a small group of voters (thats all you need these days) kept pushing the zoning, you wanted to build a development, fine, 2 acres min per lot. Today its up to 6 acres per lot. You want a Burger King, new zoning, no franchise shall built in a stand alone building. She pushed for land preservation at the expense of taxes going up a bit. This went on and on and is still going on, she not very popular with many groups, but she saved the towns rural looks.

As for the other town, absolute shameless development. My old town, since its location is pretty good, all our home values went up and its not too hard to sell your home, even in this market. Mineral Springs is smart to take a proactive approach. It won't be long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or