Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,481,998 times

Advertisements

I saw in a thread that Krefeld, Germany is a sister city to Charlotte. Is this because of the PA Germans who came down The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road?

Germantown, now part of Philadelphia, originally a separate town in Philadelphia County, was founded by a group from Krefeld.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,851,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I saw in a thread that Krefeld, Germany is a sister city to Charlotte. Is this because of the PA Germans who came down The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road?

Germantown, now part of Philadelphia, originally a separate town in Philadelphia County, was founded by a group from Krefeld.
I doubt that that had anything to do with it since Charlotte's sister city was Bogita, Columbia when I was in hich school. The sister city thing changes occasionally. Why? NO idea. Actually, Rostock, Germany on the Baltic should be our sister city. Rostock is the county seat for the county of Mecklenburg in Germany after which our area got its name.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:54 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,844,209 times
Check this out.
Charlotte Sister Cities > Home

Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I doubt that that had anything to do with it since Charlotte's sister city was Bogita, Columbia when I was in hich school. The sister city thing changes occasionally. Why? NO idea. Actually, Rostock, Germany on the Baltic should be our sister city. Rostock is the county seat for the county of Mecklenburg in Germany after which our area got its name.
OK, thanks. I was just wonderig, since I saw a direct line for it, but yet it seemed improbable.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Thanks, Hoagie!

I clicked on Krefeld & saw this.

Of special historical interest to Americans is the Philadelphia House, built in 1955 in memory of the 13 families from Krefeld who in 1683 were the first Germans to immigrate to the United States.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,441,100 times
If you're truly interested in this, there's an office in the CMGC building (600 E. 4th Street...triangular building) on the second floor devoted to the Sister City thing. There are several displays showcasing items from each of the cities previously named.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,522,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Most of them settled just North/NorthEast of Charlotte in Winston-Salem, NC. That is where the Moravians came from (PA.). Moravian is one of the largest (if not the largest) religion in Winston-Salem. My parents are Moravian and still live in that area.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Most of them settled just North/NorthEast of Charlotte in Winston-Salem, NC. That is where the Moravians came from (PA.). Moravian is one of the largest (if not the largest) religion in Winston-Salem. My parents are Moravian and still live in that area.
You're absolutely right about the Moravians.

The other big Moravian settlement was in the Lehigh Valley, north of Philadelphia. (Bethlehem.....)

I was refering initialy to PA Dutch in general. There were several religions coming from several areas where Germanic dialects were spoken.

Although, at one point, PA officials had to separate the Germanic settlers & the Scotch-Irish, they got over it & started inter-marrying as they went south & west.

There are a number of maps & quite a bit of historical information on the history & settlement of Germantown online from good sources. Part of the area was initially called Krefeld, for the hometown of the initial 13 families who settled there. That means that later settlers who came had chlildren born in Krefeld in Philadelphia County.

I was tryng to keep it simple & probably over-simplified it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte