U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,715,355 times

Advertisements

I moved from Florida to get away from flood insurance. I am so happy and relieved that I don't need it anymore. Can't believe how expensive flood and hurricane insurance are there. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 02:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,711,627 times
We actually don't need it...if my place floods...you guys will ALL be under water.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,668,946 times
I didn't get it, but it would be very rare if a flood happened in my house and welll thats the risk I am willing to take.

Sewage insurance is about $25 a year and helps against any back ups. If you have an older home I would highly recommend it.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 PM

444 posts, read 1,490,762 times
The coverage provides for back up of sewer that causes property damage to your home. Most standard policies give you a little coverage but I would recommend that you purchase at least $50,000 coverage . This is a terrible situation and it takes a lot of money to fix the problems resulting from the mess.

In the Travelers policy in SC you can increase it to $75,000 the Kemper policy in SC will only give you a maximum of $10,000 coverage. The premium is not much considering the exposure.

I recommend that you contact your insurance agent to find out how much coverage is in your present policy and if it can be increased and at what cost.

Good luck to you all!!

Dunroven

Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,207 times
Default Flood insurance & wind-driven rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
Flood insurance is not just what it sounds like by the name Flood. Most people think a flood is rising water that causes damage to your home and that is true. It also covers wind driven rain where there is no physical damage to the house. For instance, there is a hurricane and the winds blew rain into and around the windows but did not damage the windows. The resulting damage is flood. ...

Dunroven
Actually, I don't think flood insurance covers wind-drive rain--the NFIP considers that windstorm-related, not flood-related (there's some information on a website called floodsmart.gov that talks about this):
Floodsmart.gov: FAQS - Types of Flood Insurance

Alicer

Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM

929 posts, read 2,393,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Flood insurance is a national program and it is very cheap compared to your homeowners. I don't care how high you live, wind-driven water can seep under your doors or through vents. It is even cheaper to get if you live in a FEMA-rated area that is above the flood plain. I lived in New Orleans too long not to have flood insurance. I did not know sewer backup insurance was available. Is it expensive?

Well, not cheap everywhere. I bought a place in north Arkansas last summer. $2,400 a year. That's just the flood insurance alone. I was quoted 800 til the closing date then it all a sudden changed. I'm doing all I know to do to change it. FEMA runs that entire branch of insurance. None of my neighbors pay anywhere near that. I had to fax some more stuff this morning. I think I'm getting a royal @$#%*!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM

52 posts, read 136,298 times
I am an insurance agent and flood coverage is cheap if you are not in a flood zone, with the cost increasing dramatically if you are in a flood zone.

If you are in a flood zone, your mortgage company is going to require the flood insurance. A zone determination and elevation certificate will be required and the premium will be determined based on the elevation certificate. Be careful here, however, as flood zones change when the NFIP updates flood maps and some properties are added to flood zones where previously they were not - do not depend on your bank to let you know you need the insurance.

Rates are determined by the NFIP and most insurance companies will offer the same premium. There are a few companies that may write the policy outside of NFIP, but only a few.

Water / Sewer Backup is cheap and should be purchased on every policy, in my opinion. In most claim scenarios, the claim can be subrogated back to the city / county government but this is a long and painful process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte