U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 AM

35,467 posts, read 43,249,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
That would look good on a tombstone...

"Died while standing around with thumb up butt waiting for politicians to fix the problem."

It amazes me how even a simple HOA president can be so political. You'd think someone so directly and immediately involved with their own well-being, property value, and neighborhood crime rate would be a little less laissez faire and want to actually get something done! I'll be darned if my neighborhood ever has a problem like this and I sit around waiting for more "more resources." WTH is a "resource" going to do when someone has a gun pointed at you or has your TV under their arm running down the street?

I can see it now...
"Please stop Mr. Badguy. My resource is on it's way. It'll be here in about 7 years after we get done lobbying and talking in circles with the right officials. If you could just put the gun down and wait with me a little while, it'll be here in no time and we'll all be better off."
ROFLMAO! Steve . . . you nailed it all w/ this post. I find it all quite incredible, too.

WHAT RESOURCES??? Armed guards paid for by . . . the state? Every neighborhood w/ its own full-time, on premises cops? People are waiting for . . . what???? The National Guard?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,913,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
WHAT RESOURCES??? Armed guards paid for by . . . the state? Every neighborhood w/ its own full-time, on premises cops? People are waiting for . . . what???? The National Guard?
Exact-a-mundo.

I think we need to play an edited version of the famous Kennedy speech tape for some folks:

Quote:
Ask not what your country/state/city/neighborhood can do for you, ask what you can do for your country/state/city/neighborhood.
While I can certainly understand some attention raised over folks openly claiming to carry and use firearms (don't confuse raising attention with raising concern), I am appalled that this guy is being met with opposition. I do agree that he (and his organization) need to be thoroughly schooled in the law and in tune with the local police patrols rather than playing vigilante in the streets at night. But come on...someone's actually doing something and people are balking?!?!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM

35,467 posts, read 43,249,268 times
Quote:
Exact-a-mundo.

I think we need to play an edited version of the famous Kennedy speech tape for some folks:

While I can certainly understand some attention raised over folks openly claiming to carry and use firearms (don't confuse raising attention with raising concern), I am appalled that this guy is being met with opposition. I do agree that he (and his organization) need to be thoroughly schooled in the law and in tune with the local police patrols rather than playing vigilante in the streets at night. But come on...someone's actually doing something and people are balking?!?!
The people who are balking are:

1. probably not Southern
2. probably anti-NRA
3. probably never served in the military
4. probably from an urban background, white collar and never fired a gun

Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM

656 posts, read 805,718 times
Quote:
Exact-a-mundo.

I am appalled as well but not at all surprised. Decades of publik edukayshun and nanny state propaganda have all but destroyed the American spirit of liberty and self reliance. Instead what we have today is a population that largely relies on big daddy government to do everything for them, and if that doesn't work then the response is to just ask louder. Anyone actually taking their liberty and personal responsibility seriously is looked down upon or mocked as some sort of anti-social nutjob. Glad to see that there are still some people who are spirited enough to be proactive and actually do something themselves where the government has failed, but I fear that they are a very small minority in this once great, self reliant nation.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Believe me, they have "practiced enough to the point of expertise with their weapons". Let met also tell you this, Scott Yamanashi is my hero - he saved peoples lives that night at Snug Harbor when he was shot by standing up to those two robbers and literally pushing them out the door even after he was shot. This is a man who refuses to be a victim - we need 10,000 more like him all over the city.
Indeed--less Sheople, more Shepherds!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM

44,864 posts, read 56,275,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
I am appalled as well but not at all surprised. Decades of publik edukayshun and nanny state propaganda have all but destroyed the American spirit of liberty and self reliance. Instead what we have today is a population that largely relies on big daddy government to do everything for them, and if that doesn't work then the response is to just ask louder. Anyone actually taking their liberty and personal responsibility seriously is looked down upon or mocked as some sort of anti-social nutjob. Glad to see that there are still some people who are spirited enough to be proactive and actually do something themselves where the government has failed, but I fear that they are a very small minority in this once great, self reliant nation.
Our founding fathers would be disgusted if they could see the level of loss in self relience in this country

Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
You nailed it!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM

44,864 posts, read 56,275,795 times
At least it is encouraging to know that Scott Yamanashi, besides being a hero, is a SCHOOL TEACHER

Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM

8,462 posts, read 10,252,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The people who are balking are:

1. probably not Southern
Anifani, just an FYI, not all people from the Northeast are anti-gun (like myself). Many of my friends back in NJ love to hunt deer for example.

I do believe there are more people up there who are like you say, however there is a good portion who are not....

Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM

630 posts, read 1,209,057 times
Regarding the guns, citizens can legally own an Ak47 (semi auto). The same thing that the "bigger badder criminals might have".

At the end of the day its a semi automatic rifle, just like a .22 plinker (they just cost alot more). If Plaza Midwood Citizen Watch wanted they could roam the streets with a M16s so long as the gun meets the length requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte