Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:03 AM

48 posts, read 179,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
You can make your own ... real easy it is a simple recipe (has to be for me to make it LOL) ... go to KaroSyrup.com and you will find the Classic Pecan Pie recipe ... it's delicious and you can't screw it up. I use the Dark Karo.
I was thinking of a more from scratch kind of pie, If I remember right this TV show, talked about a lady who started her own business , she makes "mini" pies and I dont think she was using corn syrup or those things, and she also made the crust, didnt seem she used any ready made stuff.I though she was here in Charlotte but never saw a store that specializes in pecan pies.

I just though if i found it i would buy some boxes to ship to our family in the west
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdesert View Post
I was thinking of a more from scratch kind of pie, If I remember right this TV show, talked about a lady who started her own business , she makes "mini" pies and I dont think she was using corn syrup or those things, and she also made the crust, didnt seem she used any ready made stuff.I though she was here in Charlotte but never saw a store that specializes in pecan pies.

I just though if i found it i would buy some boxes to ship to our family in the west
The classic pecan pie is, indeed, made w/ Karo syrup. Knock off pies sometimes contain pudding, but they are not the "real thing," LOL.

The Ham Shoppe in Valle Crucis, NC, makes old fashioned pecan pies. I tried to find out last nite who made them here in CLT but so far, no leads. I know I purchased them somewhere the first Thanksgiving I was here (we moved in three weeks b/f Thanksgiving and I had 24 people for T'giving dinner) so I didn't make my own pies that year. I think I got mine from Reid's, but cannot verify that . . . They were made locally and were delicious.

If I find out who makes them, I will post, but I hope someone else will come on who knows of a source and let us all know who makes them!!!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The classic pecan pie is, indeed, made w/ Karo syrup. Knock off pies sometimes contain pudding, but they are not the "real thing," LOL.

The Ham Shoppe in Valle Crucis, NC, makes old fashioned pecan pies. I tried to find out last nite who made them here in CLT but so far, no leads. I know I purchased them somewhere the first Thanksgiving I was here (we moved in three weeks b/f Thanksgiving and I had 24 people for T'giving dinner) so I didn't make my own pies that year. I think I got mine from Reid's, but cannot verify that . . . They were made locally and were delicious.

If I find out who makes them, I will post, but I hope someone else will come on who knows of a source and let us all know who makes them!!!
wow! I guess i have to apologize for my ignorance, I grew up in a world without corn syrup or high fructose so I though that was just modern

Old 06-26-2008, 08:19 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
The classic pecan pie is, indeed, made w/ Karo syrup.
Some old-timers still refer to Pecan Pie as Karo Pie.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
wow! I guess i have to apologize for my ignorance, I grew up in a world without corn syrup or high fructose so I though that was just modern
Pinkdesert - how could you have avoided high fructose? It is everywhere. LOL!!!!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Ohhhh - nice find, VaTech! Thanks for the link!
The Peach Stand is awesome. It's owned by a guy from Long Island now.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Pinkdesert - how could you have avoided high fructose? It is everywhere. LOL!!!!
long story....If you only new my mother....

Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM

152 posts, read 469,737 times
Sorry to say this but on sandwiches I can't stand mayo. I admit I use Miracle Whip, but usually it is spicy brown mustard or honey mustard. Velveeta makes the gooiest grilled cheese sandwiches. There is so milk in it because my daughter who is allergic to dairy can't have it. Hahahahahaha.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
long story....If you only new my mother....
Your mother sounds wonderful. I worked diligently to cut out all sugar from my son's diet and it was NOT easy at all. Plus, I even hand ground fresh veggies for his baby food. So your momma is my kind of woman, Hee Hee. My son ate things like broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower for snacks. Oh yeah. And he still loves that stuff to this day. Of course, the g/parents and the "world" polluted him w/ processed sugar in its many forms. . . but I did my best to limit it. So your momma scores points w/ me!!!!!

I am going to keep trying to find us a source for old-fashioned Pecan Pie so you can mail some "back home!"

Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMomof4 View Post
Sorry to say this but on sandwiches I can't stand mayo. I admit I use Miracle Whip, but usually it is spicy brown mustard or honey mustard. Velveeta makes the gooiest grilled cheese sandwiches. There is so milk in it because my daughter who is allergic to dairy can't have it. Hahahahahaha.
Velveeta does make great grilled cheese sandwiches! LOL! Kids love them!!!! I like sharp cheddar cheese in my grilled cheese "sammiches" - but kids go bonkers over Velveeta!!! LOL!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 06-26-2008 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte