Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - Yesterday, while perusing the NJ City-Data Forum, I came across a thread about crime in New Jersey's large cities. One of the posters created a link to an article in the Atlantic Monthly about crime in Memphis. I think it provides a lot of compelling reasons why crime in Charlotte has suddenly spread to areas of the city that were never affected in the past. Charlotte and Florence SC are mentioned specifically in the article. If you are willing to take the time to read it (it's 4 long pages), I think you will find it to be an real eye-opener!!!

American Murder Mystery

The other biggie this morning is the US Supreme Court's decision to overturn Wahington DC's gun laws. How will this affect Charlotte? If you read the Atlantic Monthly article and then think about the supreme court decision, do you believe it will turn Charlotte into a "19th century Tombstone Arizona" and will the city need a "Boot Hill" type cemetery? Thoughts please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
I wasn't aware of any local firearm restrictions unique to the City of Charlotte and/or Mecklenburg County as opposed to anywhere else within the state. Can you elaborate on that?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
I would ask the same thing, How does the court upholding the rights of the people to protect them selves going to effect Charlotte which never had librals take away there rights to bare arms like washington DC. This has zero effect on States who follow the laws to start with like Charlotte. Also its a proven fact that a person whom is armed with a visiable firearm is over whelmingly less like to be a attacked then an un armed person. Also laws that control guns are only observed by law abiding folks and has no effect on the thuggs that are happy every time a gun law is proposed to make all of us sitting ducks. Killers on average dont follow the rules and so how can any intelligent person think passing this carp is doing anything but making all of us sheep for the wolves.....

Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
Can you show me where Charlotte has "soaring" crime rates? Numbers may increase a bit so is our population.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Can you say drug addicts and people losing their jobs...need anyone say more.

Sad but true. It is hapenning in just about every larger city in the US.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:54 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,703 times
That was a really good article; thanks for posting it!

Does Charlotte have a history of tearing down housing projects, per se? I know that with the gentrification of the uptown areas, some of the more "urban" ones are being demolished or "revitalized." But it's really not something you hear much about.

I think even if we admit that "soaring crime rate" is a specious bit of phrasing, we also have to admit that both property and violent crime are coming to areas of Charlotte where we are not accustomed to seeing it. And part of being able to eliminate the crime is understanding the root causes of it. I think it requires much deeper investigation.

Again, good article, thanks.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
That was a really good article; thanks for posting it!

Does Charlotte have a history of tearing down housing projects, per se? I know that with the gentrification of the uptown areas, some of the more "urban" ones are being demolished or "revitalized." But it's really not something you hear much about.

I think even if we admit that "soaring crime rate" is a specious bit of phrasing, we also have to admit that both property and violent crime are coming to areas of Charlotte where we are not accustomed to seeing it. And part of being able to eliminate the crime is understanding the root causes of it. I think it requires much deeper investigation.

Again, good article, thanks.
Charlotte tears down projects all the time and forces residents to find other places to live.

1st Ward use to be one of the worst housing projects ever in Charlotte called "Earle Village".

4th Ward use to be nothing but liquor houses & prostitutes.

They just torn down Piedmont Court just on the other side of I-277 from 1st Ward.

They keep forcing people out with very little assistance to help them relocate...and keep in mind they are on a very limited budget.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Can you show me where Charlotte has "soaring" crime rates? Numbers may increase a bit so is our population.
Whytewulf - I think if you lived in a neighborhood that in your eyes, had really no discernable crime, to one where you hear about neighbors homes being broken into on what seems like a "daily basis", it would seem to you that crime is indeed "soaring". In another thread, I had posted a link to Sperling's Best places which Sunny said violated the TOS. Under its "crime" tab you could compare two cities for their 2006 crime rates. Google it and you should be able to come up with where I got this info. I happened to put in my old home town of Paterson NJ and compared it to Charlotte. The rates were surprisingly close in value. I was shocked to say the least. Most former New Jerseyans who now live in this area would not paint pretty pictures of NJ's large cities. Many of its suburban residents would not shed many tears if they were "nuked" in the name of urban renewal. It is sad to see Charlotte closing in on their high crime rates!

If you read the article, it seems like the experiences with crime in Memphis closely parallel what Charlotte is now going through "crime wise". It is a long one but may challenge the reading skills of the "short-attention span theater crowd".

My last comments about how the supreme court ruling affecting gun owners in Charlotte was whether it would make more models available to the buying public. If you now "for sure for sure" can own a gun, who defines what is a legal or illegal model? Does the state still exert the right over that definition or will the feds be doing this in the future? I was hoping that current gun owners offer their insight into the interpretations of this ruling.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:21 PM

81 posts, read 182,744 times
Great article. Thanks for posting it.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM

630 posts, read 1,878,134 times
From all I have read, the Supreme Court ruling has no effect on states like NC where if you pass the background check you can own a gun or handgun. It effects places like DC and other towns where you cannot own a handgun even if you had the cleanest background imaginable. The ruling doesn't say previously generally banned weapons (fully automatic, sawed off shotguns etc) are legal now. All it says is basically people are allowed to own guns where in some citys and towns, the local goverment said you cannot own one. The rules about no felons etc are still in place (not that they really care, I'm sure they can find one no problem if they wanted).

What you have to realize is that criminals don't care. If you were doing an armed robbery would you care if you had an unregistered handgun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte