U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM

775 posts, read 2,134,913 times
Default Used Books

Anyone know what you can do with used books. I have a lot of nice
books that I paid $30 for each , read in a day or so and now they just sit in my closet. They are all new titles I get from Borders/Barnes and Nobles.
Is there some place you can sell them. Seems like a lot of $$ just sitting
around my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,811,496 times
Default The Book Lady in Monroe

Book Lady
(704) 282-0646
3513 W Highway 74, Monroe, NC 28110

I hear lots of people, especially teachers, speak highly of this used book store.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:45 PM

4,732 posts, read 13,297,124 times
Precisely why I don't buy books anymore (most anyway). The library is free and saves resources and money. But you can sell them on Half.com. Better yet, you can donate them to the library or the Goddwill and get a tax deduction.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 PM

775 posts, read 2,134,913 times
Yea, but does the library have all the latest books when they come out?
Any other book stores that buy books. I'm in south Charlotte and Monroe is a long way to drive.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 PM

870 posts, read 2,343,861 times
Donate them to Crisis Assistance. Library will not take donated books unless the title and bin number are already in the system. Seems there is no one to update the library system when books are donated.
Sell them on ebay, craigslist, etc.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Donate them to Crisis Assistance. Library will not take donated books unless the title and bin number are already in the system. Seems there is no one to update the library system when books are donated.
Sell them on ebay, craigslist, etc.
York County Library takes them. They sell them in their used book sales to raise money.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM

73 posts, read 342,083 times
Most used book stores will buy them from you (although not for very much $$). I just did a Google search of "used books Charlotte NC" and it came up with a good list. I sell mine sometimes to the used bookstore in Plaza Midwood, but it looks like there are closer places to you in South Charlotte.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM

285 posts, read 717,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
Any other book stores that buy books. I'm in south Charlotte and Monroe is a long way to drive.

I found out that you can reserve books before they are even published. I am on the waiting lists for several books releasing this month and next month.

I would donate your books to the library. I am sure they would appreciate them! I saw sign asking for donated books in the south branch (Rea Road and Pineville-Matthews)

Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,898,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
York County Library takes them. They sell them in their used book sales to raise money.
We in fact just donated a slew of books last week to the library in Baxter Village (Fort Mill). The librarian was really excited as she said it was not all that often that people donate children's chapter books.

But I was also going to suggest you check out The Book Rack located in Rock Hill, SC (I understand there is another one in Charlotte off Pineville/Matthews). While they don't give you cash they will give you store credit.

The Book Rack of Rock Hill, SC ~ About Us (http://www.thebestlittlebookstore.com/about.html - broken link)

I also found this thread where others on this site have mentioned a few places you may want to check out.

books

Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
The York County library generally charges about $2 to "rent" for brand new releases from bestselling authors as soon as they come out. I also have found many other ones that were pretty new and no charge. Between the library, half.com, used book stores (the Book Rack in Rock Hill is awesome) I haven't bought a brand new book in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte