Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times

Advertisements

How is $20,000 a month better! Holy smokes, I guess CNN was right $250,000 is the new middle class. Geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:45 PM

348 posts, read 846,687 times
I am so amazed that these board members - wh/ include many high level execs and an attorney or two - would think firing Ms. Pace was the solution to their PR dilemma.

In other words . . . this just doesn't hit me as the story. I feel there is another story here that we are not being told about. Anyone else have that feeling? What is really going on here?

anifani821--I was thinking the same thing. As the days pass I am hearing more and more employees (of banks in particular) for years that felt they were coereced, pressured to give money to the UW and then it was posted by someone in the "Comments" section of the Charlotte Observer that the UW has publicly stated they do not encourage companies to pressure employees to donate to them but apparently that is what goes on.

So I wondered if perhaps there are real nice gifts given to CEOs and/or upper level management if they meet a certain quota in donations, i.e. free tickets to Panthers game in the owners suite, or maybe free tickets and perks at the Wachovia Golf Championship, etc. etc. I am not saying this is going on, but perhaps an incentive wink wink is offered to these corporations (don't pressure your employees but if we meet our donation goals here is what you will get)? Just bass-ackwards speculation........

Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Our United Way does a lot of good in Union County, NC. I too think there is more going on here than we are being told. I attended a meeting where this person was one of the key speakers. I had heard her praises sung many times by the media. I was not impressed or maybe I should say I was impressed the wrong way. Most United Way meetings make the donors feel special. I was given a cold meal and had to fight my way to a table to eat it while I got to listen to speakers tell me how important THEY were. The receptionist was wonderful and the only positive I saw there that day. I could tell she was embarrassed by the situation and trying to make it better, but there is only so much a receptionists has the authority to do. I think she was a volunteer. BTW I paid at least $35 and it may have been $45 for the meal and program. My food was not free. I went to the meeting because you usually learn a lot about the United Way and what they do. The entire meeting was about the pros and cons of serving on a board??

I will not stop giving to United Way. It is a wonderful organization that keeps most of the money in the area where it is given. It helps many organizations where people have fallen through the cracks. I have every confidence it is back on track now.

Last edited by NCN; 08-28-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 08:55 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
NCN - You suspect there is more going on than we are being told but you will continue to give to UW?

That is certainly your decision. I will never give any more $$$ to UW but will give directly to worthy causes. I do not intend for my charitable contributions to go towards retirement benefits for CEO's.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Default Heres a twist...

The chairman of the Board of Directors just resigned:

United Way Board Chairman resigns | WCNC.com | Local News for Charlotte, North Carolina | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-090308-mw-dentonresigns.3ef8949d.html - broken link)

This group is heading toward disarray. They oust King, they appoint a condescending interim CEO, then three board members resign, etc. Wow!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The chairman of the Board of Directors just resigned:

United Way Board Chairman resigns | WCNC.com | Local News for Charlotte, North Carolina | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-090308-mw-dentonresigns.3ef8949d.html - broken link)

This group is heading toward disarray. They oust King, they appoint a condescending interim CEO, then three board members resign, etc. Wow!
I guess the chairman decided a paltry $20,000 a month was not worth the grief he was getting over this whole thing. The other board members who resigned, probably thought it was better to get in the "lifeboat" now, than to go down with the Titanic!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
They should all resign. I hope someone is reading this forum. These people are an embarrassment to the community and THEIR OWN BOARDS and EMPLOYEES ought to be embarrassed about the way they have handled this situation, as well.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I guess the chairman decided a paltry $20,000 a month was not worth the grief he was getting over this whole thing. The other board members who resigned, probably thought it was better to get in the "lifeboat" now, than to go down with the Titanic!
I thought it is the new, interim CEO who is getting $20,000/month, or was the Chairman of the board getting that much too?

I agree with Ani, everyone who not only voted for the salary and benefits for King and then voted to fire her should just resign.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Well, now they are putting a spin on the reasons why they can't set goals this year. This is ridiculous. Do they think the public is this stupid - that we will succumb to a PR campaign designed to spin this situation into something it simply IS NOT????

(Can't someone give me the name of the United Way's PR agency??? Really. I wanna know who is grinding out this spin. And I wanna know how much they are getting paid for doing it).

United Way not setting monetary goal for campaign | WCNC.com | Local News for Charlotte, North Carolina | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-090308-mw-unitedwaygoal.3e7a2cff.html - broken link)

How about someone just stating the TRUTH for once? I am sick of how things get spun in this city. How about someone stating "We have screwed up. We have lost the public's support. We have no idea what level of contributions we will get b/c there is an insurrection going on. Employees are revolting and reacting to what they perceive as a mis-use of donated funds."

How bout that?

Last edited by brokensky; 09-04-2008 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: edit sentence

Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,120 times
I heard the interim CEO on the radio this morning. It was insulting. He disclaims responsibility for "fixing" the problems, and says basically that we shouldn't get any more information about what happened until their internal report is done. And he's collecting $20K a month for that.

He says the board is all-volunteer and should not be blamed. BS!!

I have never given to the United Way because I prefer direct giving than giving to this administrative-heavy machine. And this is exactly why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte