Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering Charlotte: weather conditions, lakefront properties

Old 05-22-2006, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 16,561 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Well for the first time in my life, I have been seriously considering leaving NJ.

Hey just because my parents chose this state doesnt mean I have to live here the rest of my life.

Anyway - we have friends of ours that have been talking about going down there for years, and they just got back and put a deposit on a place in Indian Trail (outside Charlotte, I think?)

Part of me is considering Charlottle for a few reason - and please feel free to correct me since Im a noob -

Is it true that the CHarlotte area is in between the coast and the mountains?
Are the properties in the area generally 'flat'? Are they at all floodprone?
I am scared to death of going anywhere near the coast - hurricanes and all - although I do know that any 'cane that comes in the state will get a ton of rain.

I am just tired of the cost of living, my commute, and how expensive it is here in NJ. Looking to lower my mortgage, and possibly make enough so my wife doesnt have to work, or work full time, so she can watch over my two young girls (ages 3 and 1). Plus I love gardering and fishing, and moving south would allow me to do both for a longer period of time (even if it involves cutting my grass more often, as long as my land is flat, lol)

My dream is something on a 1/2 acre or maybe more, would loove a lakefront or lake community, providing the house is on a level lot. Does anyone know such type communities near the Charlotte area?

When I do a search on the properties available for what Im looking at undering 275k, Im getting all giddy. But just thinking about it I get scared to death.

Are we better off doing this sort of move while the girls are still young, before they start school? Well duh I guess it is.

Anyway sorry for rambling on - been reading up on some posts and they have been very informative - thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 11:45 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,408 times
Charlotte is closer to the mountains than it is the coast. Lake Lure and Lake Norman are popular lake communities.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm sure someone else will be.

All the best to and your family.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 16,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
Charlotte is closer to the mountains than it is the coast. Lake Lure and Lake Norman are popular lake communities.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm sure someone else will be.

All the best to and your family.

Thats probably more my style anyways - more of a woodsy kind of guy than an ocean guy, although I do love both. Thanks!

Old 05-22-2006, 07:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishooked
Hi,

Well for the first time in my life, I have been seriously considering leaving NJ.

Hey just because my parents chose this state doesnt mean I have to live here the rest of my life.

Anyway - we have friends of ours that have been talking about going down there for years, and they just got back and put a deposit on a place in Indian Trail (outside Charlotte, I think?)

Part of me is considering Charlottle for a few reason - and please feel free to correct me since Im a noob -

Is it true that the CHarlotte area is in between the coast and the mountains?
Are the properties in the area generally 'flat'? Are they at all floodprone?
I am scared to death of going anywhere near the coast - hurricanes and all - although I do know that any 'cane that comes in the state will get a ton of rain.

I am just tired of the cost of living, my commute, and how expensive it is here in NJ. Looking to lower my mortgage, and possibly make enough so my wife doesnt have to work, or work full time, so she can watch over my two young girls (ages 3 and 1). Plus I love gardering and fishing, and moving south would allow me to do both for a longer period of time (even if it involves cutting my grass more often, as long as my land is flat, lol)

My dream is something on a 1/2 acre or maybe more, would loove a lakefront or lake community, providing the house is on a level lot. Does anyone know such type communities near the Charlotte area?

When I do a search on the properties available for what Im looking at undering 275k, Im getting all giddy. But just thinking about it I get scared to death.

Are we better off doing this sort of move while the girls are still young, before they start school? Well duh I guess it is.

Anyway sorry for rambling on - been reading up on some posts and they have been very informative - thank you!
Sounds like you need a trip to "The Bass Pro Shop"! I hear Indian Trail is really nice, yes outside of Charlotte. Check out Tega Cay and Lake Wylie. May be on the SC/NC boarders. SC is also lower taxes.

Last edited by nascarnancy; 05-22-2006 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte