U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2006, 11:36 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,077,816 times

Advertisements

Sorry, couldn't resist the title for the thread.

Haven't seen too much on the forum about Weddington/Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area. I have read up on the cities via the web, sounds like a nice area. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2006, 03:15 PM

195 posts, read 167,905 times
Thought the same too!

Old 05-20-2006, 03:56 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,110,422 times
laughing me too. Just thought it though

Old 05-22-2006, 04:33 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,354,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Sorry, couldn't resist the title for the thread.

Haven't seen too much on the forum about Weddington/Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area. I have read up on the cities via the web, sounds like a nice area. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the areas?
There has been a lot of growth out that way of late. Many from NY/LI that felt taxed out of their homes in the East have moved out that way (taxes in Union County are some of the lowest around). Weddington is very nice and is known for the million dollar homes while Waxhaw sits a tad further out..and has a bit more of a rural setting to it...but it too is growing rapidly. The downtown district of Waxhaw has a wonderful old main street (with a farmers market to boot). I won't speak of the schools there...since all I know about them has been hearsay. I do not doubt as more people continue to move to Union County that taxes will begin to rise. Many of these areas that everyone seems to be scouting out in and around Charlotte are old areas...where most had very adequate homes with acres and acres of land...alot of the original owners have sold out now to developers...and with that the developers create denser areas (bigger house-less land). Another good example...the Ballantyne area (of Charlotte) which has just exploded with growth over the last couple of years...the whole area (2000 acres) was once a private hunting reserve (owned by a former NC governor).

Old 05-22-2006, 07:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,077,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
There has been a lot of growth out that way of late. Many from NY/LI that felt taxed out of their homes in the East have moved out that way (taxes in Union County are some of the lowest around). Weddington is very nice and is known for the million dollar homes while Waxhaw sits a tad further out..and has a bit more of a rural setting to it...but it too is growing rapidly. The downtown district of Waxhaw has a wonderful old main street (with a farmers market to boot). I won't speak of the schools there...since all I know about them has been hearsay. I do not doubt as more people continue to move to Union County that taxes will begin to rise. Many of these areas that everyone seems to be scouting out in and around Charlotte are old areas...where most had very adequate homes with acres and acres of land...alot of the original owners have sold out now to developers...and with that the developers create denser areas (bigger house-less land). Another good example...the Ballantyne area (of Charlotte) which has just exploded with growth over the last couple of years...the whole area (2000 acres) was once a private hunting reserve (owned by a former NC governor).
Thanks for the scoop. Out here you couldn't buy a new home for under a million, it's crazy. The market is slow moving but the prices are holding. We definatley are looking at a min of an acre of land. Looks like Weddington and Waxhaw have quite a few new homes being built on larger lots. I did read about the Waxhaw farmers market and all the antique shops, I can hardly wait! Guess we will find out when we get their.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:12 PM

483 posts, read 1,449,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
Another good example...the Ballantyne area (of Charlotte) which has just exploded with growth over the last couple of years...the whole area (2000 acres) was once a private hunting reserve (owned by a former NC governor).
I've heard on more than one occasion that people have referenced Ballantyne as the 'resort' area. Why is that? Just curious.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,355,532 times
We stayed there the few times we were in NC. It's literally built up around a big resort style hotel. I heard so much about it from various realtors and it IS nice, but basically a new, retail/hotel/office park with restaurants, bars, a great new "upscale" movie theater (which is planning to actually serve alcohol), cafes, etc.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,354,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
I've heard on more than one occasion that people have referenced Ballantyne as the 'resort' area. Why is that? Just curious.
I myself have not heard of this area being referred to as the "Resort" area...most just refer to it as the "Ballantyne area". The area is all new...due to the fact that not to long ago this whole area was a private hunting preserve. Ballantyne is located right off the 485 and Johnston Rd. and was a master planned community. One of the first things you might first notice as you enter into the area is the Ballantyne Resort Hotel (maybe this is where you heard the resort part?) Just in the last couple of years that we have been here...it has grown by leaps and bounds...and continues to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte