Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:21 PM

97 posts, read 369,840 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Charlotte to raise a family, however we don't know much about the city. Do you mind fill me in with some of the questions I have in mind?

1. Are there many job opportunities in financial industry. I know Bank Of America and Wachovia, any others (small, mid size) firms?

2. I searched on the website that there are lots of new developments in Charlotte, could you please tell me which areas are good?

3. Which builders are good?

4. We have a 2 year old and need to think about the school district, which school system is good? we heard of Mecklenburg, Huntsville, Union...

5. If work in downtown (or uptown?) and live say maybe 30 minutes away (N.E. W.S), is the transportation/commute to downtown convient?

6. I heard the crime rate is especially high in Charlotte, what's your thought on this issue? We are planning a visit, which areas we should avoid?

7. Is it feasible to live in SC and commute to and work in Charlotte? What are the advantages and disadvantages? How do the 2 state taxes work?

Any info regarding the city will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 02:37 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,915 times
Don't want to be rude but use the search feature and you will find the answer to all your questions.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbi98 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Charlotte to raise a family, however we don't know much about the city. Do you mind fill me in with some of the questions I have in mind?

1. Are there many job opportunities in financial industry. I know Bank Of America and Wachovia, any others (small, mid size) firms?

2. I searched on the website that there are lots of new developments in Charlotte, could you please tell me which areas are good?

3. Which builders are good?

4. We have a 2 year old and need to think about the school district, which school system is good? we heard of Mecklenburg, Huntsville, Union...

5. If work in downtown (or uptown?) and live say maybe 30 minutes away (N.E. W.S), is the transportation/commute to downtown convient?

6. I heard the crime rate is especially high in Charlotte, what's your thought on this issue? We are planning a visit, which areas we should avoid?

7. Is it feasible to live in SC and commute to and work in Charlotte? What are the advantages and disadvantages? How do the 2 state taxes work?

Any info regarding the city will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi SBBI98
Most of these questions have been asked and answered on this forum previously. Why not try reading back on the past threads for a bit, you would likely learn a lot.

In a nutshell, Charlotte is a large spread out city with a surrounding metro area totaling over 1 million people, so it would be hard to list all the great neighborhoods you could live in. It is really best to try to live on the side of town you work on, so finding a job would be your first priority. Living within a good 30 minute commute time to uptown really depends on how much you can spend on rent or to purchase a home.

This is a family oriented city, so night life is not like Chicago, New Orleans or New York. Charlotte has many nice parks and some good museums. Of course we love our NFL Panthers, and our new NBA Bobcats teams. Minor league hockey (the Checkers) and minor league baseball (the Charlotte Knights) are also here. Crime has become a problem as our population has soared - guess even the criminals like the good life! But of the 83 murders in the city last year 70 of them were commited by people the victim knew in either a domestic dispute or while participating in criminal activity.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:08 PM

27 posts, read 80,877 times
Hi, sbbi28- I've been doing much research since the summer, we too are moving to Charlotte in March. Your first question I couldn't answer. As far as a good builder, Centex was ranked at the first or second highest in the Charlotte area. We bought a Centex home in North Charlotte (McIntyre), which is about ten minutes from Huntersville, which is a beautiful area as well. Our assigned school (we have a two and three year old) is Hornet's Nest. After researching this school on Greatschools.net, I wasn't very thrilled with it. I have spoken with people from the school system in Charlotte and I was told that just because a particular school is assigned to you does not mean that you have to send your child there. If there are other schools that you prefer, you may apply and be accepted to them. The only issue would be transportation; bussing may not be available the further away you get, however, if you are willing to provide the transportation there, then it's a done deal. There are two particular elementary schools in Huntersville that I am very intersted in one being Corneluis and the other I think is Davidson. One of them one an award for one of the best elementary schools in the nation, if I recall correctly. You can look it up on Greatschools website. Not sure of the commuting times but I can tell you that there is definetely ALOT of traffic, most especially during rush hour or if there are any concerts or special events in the area. I agree with Loves Mountains regarding the reasons for the spike in crime. I heard East and West Charlotte you'd want to stay away from, anybody else, please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. Hope any of this info. helped, I've been dealing with these exact questions. Feel free with any other questions. Take care.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Any Good Pediatricians In N. Charlotte, Huntersville Area?

Hello all you kind folks. I was wondering if anybody has any good recommendations on any pediatricians/practices in the Charlotte area. My sons are two and three. Thank you very much in advance!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,736 times
Growing up Peds in Cornelius is great. Its on the edge of the Pennisula entrance. Get Dr Wendy.

Also on your previous post on this thread. Good Luck getting in either of those elementary schools they have been the most desirable for years.

Oh and welcome to Charlotte

Old 01-17-2007, 07:14 PM

Hi, CharAgent, You know, I figured that was probably the case with those two schools! Hopefully, I can work something out by the time Kindergarten comes. Thank you for the info on the Ped. I'll look into it! Thanks for the welcome. My parents are also moving there and actually are there tonight until Friday for the walk through of their new home!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,116 times
Did you think of Union or Cabarrus counties? CMS seems to be transitioning ??? I guess? We use Matthews Children's Clinic..we have only been one time but the ped was great. Dr Lavonas.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:27 AM

254 posts, read 1,057,773 times
Neither of those schools (Davidson or Cornelius) will take anyone anymore from outside of the district regardless if you provide transportation. (unless you have a special needs student) There is a very short list of schools you will be able to apply to if you don't like your home district (I got the list last year because we were interested in a different school and there wasn't a school on it that I would send my kids to to be honest) Both schools you mentioned are over crowded (as are many schools in CMS) They aren't going to stuff more kids into them who don't live in the towns and pay the taxes for those schools. (oh and they aren't in Huntersville they are in their own towns and I can't imagine either of them is the best school in the nation..they both do well on testing but the best school? Not even close...in Charlotte Meck maybe..Davidson not Cornelius)

An aquaintance of mine lives in the Hornet's Nest school zone and homeschools her kids..it isn't a very good school

Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 PM

Default I Hear Ya

Hey, MelKat, I hear ya about Hornet's Nest. Wasn't very thrilled looking at the school on greatschools.net. However, my two children are diagnosed with autism, one or both possible with a reversal in diagnoses a few years down the road. On the topic of homeschooling, what does one have to do to legally be able to provide for their child? I've just often wondered that since teachers go to earn their degree after many years of studying; is there a shortcut certificate or something that people obtain to homeschool their kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte