U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 AM

10 posts, read 27,020 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Does anybody know where to find the closest gem mines? We actually live in Rock Hill, which is in SC, but right below Charlotte. If you know where to find one, could it be made into a day trip, or is it still too far away?
Thanks!
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 04:46 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,904,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifr1966 View Post
Hi,
Does anybody know where to find the closest gem mines? We actually live in Rock Hill, which is in SC, but right below Charlotte. If you know where to find one, could it be made into a day trip, or is it still too far away?
Thanks!
Jen
this is a gold mine, not gems
Historic Gold Hill

Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,167,835 times
The main gem-collecting counties in the state are Alexander (emeralds and hiddenite), Macon (rubies, sapphires, and garnets), and Mitchell (emeralds and aquamarine).

http://wwwcache.wral.com/presentatio...c_counties.pdf

Old 06-29-2008, 09:11 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,916,641 times
You might check out this site. They were recently featured on National Geographic's "Cash and Treasures". It's an easy day trip from Rock Hill. North Carolina Gem Mines - Hiddenite Gems Emerald Hollow Mine

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM

359 posts, read 716,814 times
There is also one at the Dan Nicholas park in Salisbury, about an hour orso from Charlotte. DanNicholasPark.org, Salisbury, NC - Your Best Entertainment Bargain!
We haven't been yet but are planning to take the baby sister (she;s 10) in the next couple of weeks. It seems like a fun day out.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 AM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
You might check out this site. They were recently featured on National Geographic's "Cash and Treasures". It's an easy day trip from Rock Hill. North Carolina Gem Mines - Hiddenite Gems Emerald Hollow Mine
This is the one I would recommend as well.
If you own a suv or truck take that instead of a car the road it on is a natural adventure

And dont wear white

My next best choice a whole lot further is the ones in Little Switzerland.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM

264 posts, read 606,057 times
We've done the park in Salisbury! It's really cute. Some animal exhibits, a carousel, and I think there is a spray ground but we were there in fall. About the "gem mine." It's not a real gem mine. But my six-year-old thought it was thrilling. You buy a bucket of sand in which various rocks have been hidden. Then you wash it down and take inventory of your treasures. Fun, but not an authentic gem mine. We did another one like this near Chimney Rock.

Also up in Salisbury there is a railroad museum. Have not been there but hear it's fun.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 AM

359 posts, read 716,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
We've done the park in Salisbury! It's really cute. Some animal exhibits, a carousel, and I think there is a spray ground but we were there in fall. About the "gem mine." It's not a real gem mine. But my six-year-old thought it was thrilling. You buy a bucket of sand in which various rocks have been hidden. Then you wash it down and take inventory of your treasures. Fun, but not an authentic gem mine. We did another one like this near Chimney Rock.

Also up in Salisbury there is a railroad museum. Have not been there but hear it's fun.
Thanks so much for giving feedback on Dan Nicholas Park. On their website it does give a different perception of their "gem mine". We will however still make the trip out there since we were wanting to see Salisbury itself as well.
If anyone else has any other ideas please feel free to contribute.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:08 PM

39 posts, read 118,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This is the one I would recommend as well.
If you own a suv or truck take that instead of a car the road it on is a natural adventure

And dont wear white
I second that..went there last year and came home with a bag of gems that I don't know the names for but it was fun! The road there is definitely adventurous and parking is a nightmare. Plan on getting dirty, even if you just sit on the benches to sift.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 PM

27 posts, read 79,369 times
Emerald Hollow Mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte