U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:29 PM

476 posts, read 1,451,547 times

Advertisements

Thanks loves,

Here too, the weekly envelope is key. Like you said, not so much the amount as the continuity. In fact, our children all receive a set of their own envelopes when CCD classes start up in the fall. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 12:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,232,252 times
Loves ; our boys go to catholic school here. During a meeting one evening, the church secretary commented out loud that she knew exactely how much each person puts in the envelope. We were both shocked that she said that out loud.

Funny thing is when we go to Mass, we dont use the envelopes ; we rather put some money in the basket. Here if you donate about $500 to the church, you can get a discount of $500 on the tuitition.
Thats the way it is here.
dorothy

Old 01-15-2007, 12:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,640,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsgenie View Post
Hello...

I've done a search on previous posts and I have found lots of information on Christians... but is one area more Catholic than others.
Thanks!
http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Religion/images/relfg2L.gif (broken link)

The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest religious body in North Carolina, accounting for fully half of the state’s number of religious adherents and one-third of the houses of worship. Otherwise, only the Catholic, Methodist, and Presbyterian (USA) churches accounted for more than 100,000 adherents each.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:49 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Loves ; our boys go to catholic school here. During a meeting one evening, the church secretary commented out loud that she knew exactely how much each person puts in the envelope. We were both shocked that she said that out loud.

Funny thing is when we go to Mass, we dont use the envelopes ; we rather put some money in the basket. Here if you donate about $500 to the church, you can get a discount of $500 on the tuitition.
Thats the way it is here.
dorothy
Well how unprofessional and petty of that church secretary! I would have been upset as well. I never liked using envelopes either because I write so few checks. But here they really don't care how much you give, they just have to see that you give regularly - the only way to do that is with envelopes. I have heard many a tale of people from the Northeast coming in and offering the priests at a couple of parishes one lump sum of $500 to $1000. just so they could quality for the tuition rate of "Practicing Catholic" and the priests have refused. If you aren't there every week you aren't considered practicing and you get the tuition rate of non-Catholics!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,232,252 times
I dont take the reduction rate. I rather pay my way.

Also I would prefer to give to the school in areas that they need.

dorothy

Old 01-15-2007, 01:40 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,099,021 times
Now, don't forget about Statesville..... There's a R.C. church there as well, right off the expressway, and they used to have NUNS! Catholic schools in Winston-Salem also. Areas of Hickory/Statesville/Mooresville trying for years to get school - no luck so far..

Old 01-15-2007, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 14,233 times
My daughter is 3 and we have looked into the Catholic schools by us. Not only do you have to give in the envelopes, you have to give a certain amount. Basically it adds up to your discount. You can make up for it by doubling up the next week. You also have to do a certain amount of community service. They are very strict. It just makes it very difficult to send your child there. Hey, if I have the money, I'll give it... but it's sad when you can't afford Catholic school. And with multiple YOUNG children... how do you have time for community service?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I dont take the reduction rate. I rather pay my way.

Also I would prefer to give to the school in areas that they need.

dorothy
It's not really a 'reduction' rate you get when you use the envelopes - it's that if you DON'T use the envelopes you are charged tuition at the rate of non-Catholics which is about twice the amount participating Catholics pay. Why pay double?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 PM

476 posts, read 1,451,547 times
This is all such informative information. Thank you all for sharing.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,109,529 times
http://www.stmarknc.org/ in Huntersville

http://www.sainttherese.net/ in Mooresville

Hope this helps a little
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte