Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 PM

6 posts, read 16,323 times

Advertisements

Hello...

I've done a search on previous posts and I have found lots of information on Christians... but is one area more Catholic than others. I would like to say I go to church every week but I don't.. but I keep striving. Is everyone Protestant?

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsgenie View Post
Hello...

I've done a search on previous posts and I have found lots of information on Christians... but is one area more Catholic than others. I would like to say I go to church every week but I don't.. but I keep striving. Is everyone Protestant?

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Thanks!
Hi kings, hate to break it to ya, but you will be in a minority here as a Catholic - albeit a growing minority Takes a bit of adjusting initially, but you do. It also helps you to realize what other minority people might be feeling in situations where you are the majority - it can be character developing Protestants are the majority, but there are many Catholics here in addition to some muslims, Buddists, Jews, and I'm sure a fair smattering of atheists. For the most part we all seem to get along in Charlotte just fine. But no, there are no areas more Catholic than others than I can think of.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:39 PM

Thanks...

I was getting the minority vibe from most of my research. But, hey, gotta start somewhere.

If anyone knows of a nice Catholic church, please let me know. I would like to have one relatively close. Are there Catholic schools??

Old 01-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks...

I was getting the minority vibe from most of my research. But, hey, gotta start somewhere.

If anyone knows of a nice Catholic church, please let me know. I would like to have one relatively close. Are there Catholic schools??
Close to where King? We do have a few Catholic schools. What do you need to know?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:54 PM

Thank you for such a quick response.

I've heard good things about Union County.... Indian Trail and up by Lake Norman.... Mooresville. I wondered how they were.

It's funny... growing up in Brooklyn, everyone I knew was Catholic. Moving to Long Island, although there are many Catholics, we are definitely the minority in our circle. Now going to NC... well, we'll see.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you for such a quick response.

I've heard good things about Union County.... Indian Trail and up by Lake Norman.... Mooresville. I wondered how they were.

It's funny... growing up in Brooklyn, everyone I knew was Catholic. Moving to Long Island, although there are many Catholics, we are definitely the minority in our circle. Now going to NC... well, we'll see.
Coming from south Louisiana, which at the time was predominantly Catholic all my life (not sure about anymore) I totally understand what you mean.

In Union county there is all of 1 Catholic Church!!! But, if you buy in western Union, like in Indian Trail or Stallings, you will not be far from a great church just over the county line - St. Matthews. Wonderful people, priests and school

Here is a little info I wrote earlier this year to another poster about the Catholic schools in Charlotte. Hope you find it helpful

First of all, our school system is a regional system - no parish schools. Although several schools are built on parish properties. Our system is called "Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools" or MACS for short. We have a school board and a school superintendent. This allows funds to be used equally across the board and all schools are equal in facilities and learning materials. Every parish is expected to contribute to the funding of the schools whether there is a school on their property or not. Each parish is assessed different amounts based on varying factors. Because of this parishoners whose children go the Catholic schools are expected to use their envelopes faithfully, 52 weeks a year to tithe to their parish. If you don't use your envelopes you will not qualify for the parish subsidy and your tuition will be higher than other families, sometimes a lot higher.

In the Charlotte area we have 5 elementary schools, 1 middle school and 1 high school. In addition, up in the the north of the county near Huntersville is a new K-8 school called St. Marks. This was built to meet the needs of families wanting Catholic education who cannot travel the great distance down to the other elementary schools or middle school. Basically those schools are all in central or south Charlotte. Catholic High is also in south Charlotte in the Pineville area. It is one of the best schools in the state. This college prep school boasts 97% of their students go on to college, the rest in the military. Scholarships are in the millions of dollars there for every graduation class. Compared to private schools in Charlotte, the Catholic schools are a real deal, in my opinion. Elementary is approximately $3900 a year, not quite sure about middle at the moment, and the high school is about $6500. a year.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:04 AM

Wow ... you are a wealth of information. Yes, you did help very much. I will look further into those schools and aim for one of those areas. Thanks so much!!

Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 AM

476 posts, read 1,575,427 times
I was wondering if anyone knows if your parish helps with tuition costs of these schools. Here in RI, each parish, I guess diocese, helps with some of the costs of the yearly tuition. Just wondering if the same holds true in NC? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows if your parish helps with tuition costs of these schools. Here in RI, each parish, I guess diocese, helps with some of the costs of the yearly tuition. Just wondering if the same holds true in NC? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
Mik, the parish doesn't help any one family, but there is a process where you can apply to have your amount reduced thru the school system. Every year, depending on how many people apply, the amount will vary as to how much you can potentially have taken off your bill if you go thru this process.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Mik, the parish doesn't help any one family, but there is a process where you can apply to have your amount reduced thru the school system. Every year, depending on how many people apply, the amount will vary as to how much you can potentially have taken off your bill if you go thru this process.
I wanted to add, the use of the envelopes is very important, but not the amount in the envelope The church just wants to see that you are bringing your child to church on a regular basis. I know some people who can only afford to put in $1.00 a week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte