Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

The oridnance failed because of the T in LGBT, the city is not ready when its a real simple solution that wouldn't cost much to fix. Which is sad as I believe Greensboro is steps ahead regarding this issue.
Two democrats voted against it and one is a lesbian because no protection was offer to the T.
I may not fully understand transgender myself, but they are tax paying citizens that dont deserve discrimination or anyone for that matter. Far as restroom a simple solution for large public buildings is have a private bathroom about the size of a closet so they can have their privacy and other patrons of either sexes of any gender not feel uncomfortable.
For example like at some Kohls they have a single user bathroom that caters to 'family' just let transgender use this space or have adjacent single user restroom. The places that dont have this can simply use adjoining closet to cater to both so mom/dads can have privacy changing their baby or stay in same bathroom when the child is opposite gender. This has to be a stress for a parent that is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janda4582 View Post
after reading everyone posts me and my partner have decided to move to charlotte. How is the gay pride in Charlotte?
Far as Pride if your referring to the Pride festival its growing to one of the largest in South East,
Last year it added $7.7 million dollars to the city bottom line of this two day event in August.
Last year Leann Rimes performed (we didnt attend due to family vacation)
  • Approximate 65,000 unique individual visitors, of which more than 16 percent were out-of-town visitors.
  • 68 percent of those visitors staying at local hotels.
  • The average visitor spent more than $460 per person while visiting the city.
  • More than 77 percent stayed the next day for the Parade.
  • More than 62 percent of attendees spent their dollars shopping, with more than 61 percent spending dollars on local dining.
  • Organizers estimate that fifty-three percent of attendees were female, with 45 percent identifying as male and two percent as transgender. An estimated 16 percent of attendees identify as straight, with 10 percent identifying as bisexual, 33 percent as lesbian and 41 percent as gay. Nearly 20 percent of attendees are people of color.
  • $2.49 million of additional labor income, with a total of 76.63 jobs supported by visitor spending.
Far as original topic about neighborhoods still good recommendations mention above, but imo if relocating and are LGBT, I would suggest looking into South End and NODA. Both of these are transitioning to be the new best neighborhoods particularly for LGBT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:30 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
That was a good article. I do think the Observer pretty much gave the city council a free pass on what they did including that of Michael Barnes, the mayor protem. The paper, or what remains of a newspaper, is loathe to criticize the city council on pretty much anything.

I do have to wonder why that bathroom thing was even in there. It almost makes me think it was added to poison the well.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,424,950 times
Yeah, good point, Waldo. I was wondering, where is the backlash against Michael Barnes? I think the progressive and LGBT community also need to reflect on how they can be more organized, vocal, and swell their ranks to have more cultural and political influence in Charlotte. In nearly all major cities today, any Democrat opposing LGBT rights would be toast come the next election. Heck, even any Republican.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 498 times
Default Sharon South Townhomes is a mixed community of gay and straight

If you're looking to buy a townhome there's a great community is South Charlotte called Sharon South Townhomes. It's a mixed community of gay and straight. Just a block away from the light rail, and easily accessible to 77 and 485. Minutes from Southpark mall area. Its one of the last places you can buy a townhome is Charlotte for around 100k, but prices are rising. Some need updating, but many have already been updated. The community is great, well kept, and has a very social pool. Definitely an undiscovered gem in Charlotte. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte