U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,647,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyrx View Post
the one on the Dan River is good. I don't know the exact location, but i think you load up at the Dan River General Goods Station (not the actual name, but its called something similar) which seems to be a) the center of town and b) a glorified gas station. when i called earlier this summer, they said the water levels were too low. but for future reference, its ~$5/tube, but the tubes are literally tire tubes, so watch out for the pokey nozzle thing.

and as for the person who said beer and tubing don't mix, i am not sure what Class 5 rapids you were tubing down, but my experiences have been in slow rivers with occasional gentle rapids, where the biggest concern is your overweight cooler dragging in the shallows. isn't that the point of tubing? it shouldn't be about testing your mettle and battling the elements. besides, how are you going to use the super sketchy rope swings along the river without a little liquid courage? you either have to be an idiot or a drunk to use them, and since i have a big, sexy brain...

and what is up with these mom and pop tubing places not having websites? think of the increased revenues. yeah, i know you live in the sticks, but come on...its 2008.
That sound like fun, I wan to go tubing with you. Sitting/floating in water w/ a nice cold one always is a good time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 PM

23 posts, read 59,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
That sound like fun, I wan to go tubing with you. Sitting/floating in water w/ a nice cold one always is a good time.
dit-to!!! sounds good to me.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 AM

85 posts, read 281,036 times
Try Zaloos Canoes near Jefferson, NC.
It is about 2.5 hours from Huntersville.

"Zaloo's Canoes is located on South Fork of the New River, a National Scenic and Wild River and an American Heritage River."

Zaloo's Canoes Kayaks and Tubes

Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 33,448 times
Quote:
and as for the person who said beer and tubing don't mix, i am not sure what Class 5 rapids you were tubing down, but my experiences have been in slow rivers with occasional gentle rapids, where the biggest concern is your overweight cooler dragging in the shallows. isn't that the point of tubing? it shouldn't be about testing your mettle and battling the elements. besides, how are you going to use the super sketchy rope swings along the river without a little liquid courage? you either have to be an idiot or a drunk to use them, and since i have a big, sexy brain...
The Green River use to be a great place to tube with a beer in hand, but it started getting a little out of hand. On a hot day you could see....people passed out floating where ever the river took them, beer cans floating by, glass bottles broken on river banks, young couples doing the deed in broad daylight as they passed young children. IMO, a combination of trash and over-consuming trashy people ruined it for everyone. I see nothing wrong with having a few beers while tubing, but it got way out of hand. The new law has really changed the atmosphere on the Green. Many tickets have been written and many drunks have been disappointed. ..but on a good note, I don't mind taking my children on the river now. Drinking still goes on, but most is done before people actually get on the river. The drunks have disappeared in the past two years and it's a better place because of it.

Quote:
and what is up with these mom and pop tubing places not having websites? think of the increased revenues. yeah, i know you live in the sticks, but come on...its 2008.
Here's one on the Green and it's our favorite place to go..
http://www.nctubing.com

Last edited by 10point; 02-27-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 PM

370 posts, read 598,516 times
There used to be an outfit that set up tubing runs on the Broad River near Boiling Springs (about an hour away from Charlotte).

I can't find their number, and don't know if they will still be in operation this summer, but you could call the ranger station at the Broad River Greenway for information [SIZE=4]704-434-0040[/SIZE]. They would take you up to a launch point just below the Cliffside Power Station, and you float down to the Greenway.

Broad River Greenway (http://www.broadrivergreenway.com/portal/ - broken link)

For that matter, you can probably just bring your own tube and float the Broad River if you can find a launch point upstream of the Greenway.

Make sure to stop off at the Broad River Coffee Company in Boiling Springs (just across the street from Gardner-Webb University) on your way back. Or stop at Kerry's for ice cream or sandwiches.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,534 times
The clearest water, with a variety of slow moving tranquil waters, to small rapids with boulders to navigate, to shallows so low you almost need to get out and walk - and ALL depending on rain - I suggest The New River (it runs north!), starting at RiverCamp USA in Piney Creek, NC, just west of Sparta, NC. It's a 2 to 4-hour ride (depending on recent rains), we get out at the Shady Shack Campground in the Mouth of Wilson, VA, with quiet tent sites, "roughing it" with electricity and water hookups, right on the river, one outhouse and a pretty good walk up the hill, up stairs, to men/womens bathhouse - no hitched campers really, it's tough to get through the turn into the campground, over a tight bridge with a curve and a hump afterwards. Look for Round House Road (off Hwy 58 near Hwy 93/113), the campground owned by Lester Halsey's family is the first left. The kind of campground you can claim one of the 12 sites if there's not a rock holding a piece of paper with someone's reservation on it, cost $10 or $12 per night, owner rides through about supper time to collect fees. If you canoe and rent from RiverCamp, you get a pick up or ride back to pick up car. We liked it because once you got out, you were home. One person just had ride back with the canoes when they came pick up them up so you could go get your car, 15-20 minutes away. During this river trip, you also pass a state park, accessible only by water or hiking, the New River State Park in NC.

Last edited by bestmama; 08-16-2011 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM

1,996 posts, read 2,257,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunter View Post
Go to Wilson Creek on Browns Mountain Beech Road. There are tons of huge boulders with swimming holes tucked in between. Great tubing area too. It's in the town of Mortimer. That's near Colletsville. We belong to a horse riding club in the area. There are always lots of people in the creek.It's free!!!! and only about an hour and a half away!
Yes we like to go there but take our own flotation devices!Lots of places to access the creek off Brown Mountain Beech RD and is never very busy even on weekends in the Summer, although I guess Spring maybe more popular if there's more water.
Wilson Creek: 49,000 Acres of Rugged Wilderness

I was looking for somewhere nearby that rents tubes and found this place near Morganton.
Steele Creek Park & Family Campground in Morganton North Carolina
They have a waterslide, swimming pool, mini golf etc. Looks pretty crowded though, but might be OKif you have kids
Not clear if you have to be camping there to use the facilities or rent a tube.

I was interested in the horse riding club you are members of-assume you have your own horses though.
Am looking for places to go riding where they have better horses that aren't as hard worked as for eg Latta plantation where you only walk on the trails. Would like the opportunity to have a canter now and again, or even have some instruction.
Not ridden at Latta yet-am volunteering there to get some free trail rides.
Have only ever ridden English when I had horses myself for 10 years, but open to learning western!
I'm 5'10 so need somewhere with decent size horses-don't like being close to the ground!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 7,447 times
Zaloos Canoes in Jefferson is great. We didn't see any snakes and they offer cooler tubes for those of you who want to enjoy a nice beverage while floating down the river. We took three kids under the age of six and I felt really safe.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:26 AM

743 posts, read 1,419,663 times
We typically canoe the catawba river at the base of the lake Wylie Dam in fort mill. The access is off of sutton road/dam road near Baxter village. See link below for information. Hope this helps...

About Us

Old 08-20-2011, 01:14 PM

534 posts, read 945,603 times
we went tubing in columbia last weekend, i was pretty nice - calm, couple small rapids - 3 1/2 to 4 hr trip down the river..look up palmetto outdoor adventues. 15 bucks a head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte