Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 38,978 times

Advertisements

sorry if repeat. saw a couple posts with similar title, but mostly addressed canoe/kayak, as opposed to inner tubes specifically.

I know of two places i like to go around here. one is in Saluda, on the Green River, which is about 2 hrs away. The other is outside Winston-Salem, on the Dan River, which is about 1.5 hrs away.

anyone know of any places that are closer to CLT? its a shame that you have to drive so far (with gas prices being what they are) just to plunk down $5 for a tube and sit on your butt in a river. seems like you could/should be able to do that anywhere really. its a little hard to continuously justify the effort and cost of 3-4 hrs of driving + prep time for 3-3.5 hrs of drinking/fun.

any and all locations (even locales that are the same general distance as those i mentioned; variety is the spice etc etc) are greatly appreciated. and lets hope we get some more rain to get those water levels up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I just noticed your post again and saw that no one had given you any suggestions. Maybe someone will see it and have an idea for a place closer to CLT.

These places are not closer, but they do look interesting:

North Carolina Professional Paddlesports Association: Whitewater Rafting, Canoeing, and Kayaking in North Carolina

Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 AM

thanks. like i said, any suggestions are welcome. i hadn't heard of a few of those places, and will definitely be checking them out. tubing in new places, even if they are still a ways away, is still good times. all you need is a tube, some friends, and some beer, and you can float your troubles away.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM

279 posts, read 887,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyrx View Post
thanks. like i said, any suggestions are welcome. i hadn't heard of a few of those places, and will definitely be checking them out. tubing in new places, even if they are still a ways away, is still good times. all you need is a tube, some friends, and some beer, and you can float your troubles away.

Go to Wilson Creek on Browns Mountain Beech Road. There are tons of huge boulders with swimming holes tucked in between. Great tubing area too. It's in the town of Mortimer. That's near Colletsville. We belong to a horse riding club in the area. There are always lots of people in the creek.It's free!!!! and only about an hour and a half away!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
You really have to drive into the mountains to find good tubing so you are looking at a 2hr drive.

The whitewater center has some "extreme" tubing where you can fload down the rapids in a tube, not really a sit back and drink a bear type event

Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 13,025 times
Default No drinking on the Green

By state law, no alcohol allowed on the Green River or within 50 feet of the bank. Polk County will get you good, so this is not the best place for a booze cruise.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson1973 View Post
By state law, no alcohol allowed on the Green River or within 50 feet of the bank. Polk County will get you good, so this is not the best place for a booze cruise.
Why would anyone drink and kayak at same time is beyond my comprehension. I have been in some shallow rivers and slow currents but whatever the depth or current you need to be agil in case something happens as you are going down the river either from accident in the water or wildlife that sees you as fair game.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 AM

540 posts, read 1,705,433 times
Green river = too many snakes....I have a phobia....had a water moccasin about 15 feet from me....banks were full of snakes....
--
how's the one in winston-salem?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:19 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
We do a little bit of tubing on the Broad River, fed from Lake Lure. However, with the drought there is not much water being released. I would call ahead, especially for anywhere that relies on water being released from a dam.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
how's the one in winston-salem?
the one on the Dan River is good. I don't know the exact location, but i think you load up at the Dan River General Goods Station (not the actual name, but its called something similar) which seems to be a) the center of town and b) a glorified gas station. when i called earlier this summer, they said the water levels were too low. but for future reference, its ~$5/tube, but the tubes are literally tire tubes, so watch out for the pokey nozzle thing.

and as for the person who said beer and tubing don't mix, i am not sure what Class 5 rapids you were tubing down, but my experiences have been in slow rivers with occasional gentle rapids, where the biggest concern is your overweight cooler dragging in the shallows. isn't that the point of tubing? it shouldn't be about testing your mettle and battling the elements. besides, how are you going to use the super sketchy rope swings along the river without a little liquid courage? you either have to be an idiot or a drunk to use them, and since i have a big, sexy brain...

and what is up with these mom and pop tubing places not having websites? think of the increased revenues. yeah, i know you live in the sticks, but come on...its 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte