Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

BIBIT - that is amazing work - what a creative, beautiful piece of Americana!!! True art!!!

Thank you for sharing with us . . . And Happy July 4th!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
On the other hand I find it so odd that one would find this a "'little odd'. For example: You go to a baseball, football game and root for your team. You wear a tee shirt, a hat, wave a silly little flag-but you're proud of your team. You're rooting for your team.
You work for a political party. You hang banners. Wave flags. You're proud of your candidate.

I think part of the celebration of being proud, being part of,being happy you are on this team is the reason (in part) people want to buy and display a flag.

And Happy Fourth of July!
Interesting. I hadn't thought of it like that. I find it slightly less odd now, I think. For the record, I don't think it odd at all for someone to root for their team, be proud of being American, etc. And I don't think it's odd to want to display that pride. I just don't really relate to wanting others to display that pride. But I suppose at the end of the day, we enjoy seeing that others root for the same team and all -- perhaps it gives some sort of validation?

Anyway, thanks for the first explanation that actually was an explanation.

Happy Independence Day, all!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:11 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote: "I just don't really relate to wanting others to display that pride."

Please explain this above statement to me, cause "I" don't get it!!?? I know there is an old statement out there that goes, "If it don't concern YOU (me), don't talk about it." I know that there are people out there that don't/won't give an opinion about anything, BUT I'm sure not one of them!! Some folks HAVE to be reminded, or even TOLD to display our GREAT flag on certain holidays. I don't like the word "told", so can anyone out there in "CD Land" explain/tell me why some (or a lot) of people just won't (or even refuse) to show their PRIDE in living in America and won't display our flag????
Does this "urk" me......I'd say YES!!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:13 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
By the way......Happy 4th of July- Independence Day to ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:29 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

Please explain this above statement to me, cause "I" don't get it!!?? I know there is an old statement out there that goes, "If it don't concern YOU (me), don't talk about it." I know that there are people out there that don't/won't give an opinion about anything, BUT I'm sure not one of them!! Some folks HAVE to be reminded, or even TOLD to display our GREAT flag on certain holidays. I don't like the word "told", so can anyone out there in "CD Land" explain/tell me why some (or a lot) of people just won't (or even refuse) to show their PRIDE in living in America and won't display our flag????
Do you object to the fact that I fly a 13 star flag, in honor of my ancestors who fought in the Revolution from Massachusetts to Georgia?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you object to the fact that I fly a 13 star flag, in honor of my ancestors who fought in the Revolution from Massachusetts to Georgia?
Where did you find that flag??!! I have been hunting for one for years! I think that is really neat! Take pix!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Where did you find that flag??!! I have been hunting for one for years! I think that is really neat! Take pix!!!
Ani, they are all over the place around here!

This is the 1st time in years that I'm not flying it all summer. I had packed it early on. My next door neighbor must be thrilled. He likes to run the neighborhood & tried to tell me to take it down & replace it with a 50 star flag. I told him my ancestors fought for those 13 stars & I'd fly it anytime I wanted. He's lucky that my mother brought me up to always be polite.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, they are all over the place around here!

This is the 1st time in years that I'm not flying it all summer. I had packed it early on. My next door neighbor must be thrilled. He likes to run the neighborhood & tried to tell me to take it down & replace it with a 50 star flag. I told him my ancestors fought for those 13 stars & I'd fly it anytime I wanted. He's lucky that my mother brought me up to always be polite.
Especially on July 4th . . . seems like a very fitting way to think of Independence Day to me!

Hope you have had a great day! The fireworks have started in my neighborhood, LOL.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:24 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

Hmmm. I think maybe you and I just look at things a little differently. I am proud to be an American. No place else I'd rather be, or be from. But I simply have no urge to wave an actual flag and all that -- and I have even less interest in whether or not other people want to put their patriotism on display.

*shrugs*

I guess I'm just more of a live-and-let-live kind of guy.

I don't have any problem with people displaying their pride on the 4th of July -- or any other day. But it also doesn't bother me in the slightest if they'd rather not.

As for why I don't display a flag -- meh. I just don't see a point to it. I know how I feel about the country, and that's enough for me. It's not like it's a big stand I'm making or anything -- it's simply not something I have an interest in doing - like decorating for Christmas or putting bumper stickers on my car. It's just not me.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Hmmm. I think maybe you and I just look at things a little differently. I am proud to be an American. No place else I'd rather be, or be from. But I simply have no urge to wave an actual flag and all that -- and I have even less interest in whether or not other people want to put their patriotism on display.

*shrugs*

I guess I'm just more of a live-and-let-live kind of guy.

I don't have any problem with people displaying their pride on the 4th of July -- or any other day. But it also doesn't bother me in the slightest if they'd rather not.

As for why I don't display a flag -- meh. I just don't see a point to it. I know how I feel about the country, and that's enough for me. It's not like it's a big stand I'm making or anything -- it's simply not something I have an interest in doing - like decorating for Christmas or putting bumper stickers on my car. It's just not me.
Timm - not like that means you are less patriotic or don't care about being an American. I have found it meaningful to fly a flag as I have gotten older. I didn't think that much about as a young person. For many of us, flying the flag is also recognizing the people who fought to defend it . . . and when you have family members and friends in the military - I think that adds to the feeling of pride some people get w/ flying a flag. But nothing wrong if you don't feel you want to do that.

I think LoveBoating was just trying to get some enthusiasm going for the holiday, wh/ was very nice sentiment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte