U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,121 posts, read 3,609,225 times

Advertisements

As longtime Long Island (North & South Shore Nassau/ W. Suffolk) residents, we are considering Charlotte. So you can only imagine my tremendous surprise, when I came across this forum!

There seemed to be a lot of positives to Charlotte, although recently, I became discouraged by what seems to be high taxes and ancillary fees (sales, use, etc.). Is this so?

Also, as much as I am sure that the people in Charlotte are friendly, what's the traffic like? Similar too, or better than, L.I.? What about planning? Do politicians appear to be forward thinking, or do they wait until something happens, and attempt to react (like Nassau)? Do you find that there are plenty of recreational activities?

Also, if you had to liken the City of Charlotte to a place on Long Island, as far as density and feel, what would it be? I like Western Nassau (Franklin Square/Rockville Center) best, in terms of density and architecture, and am wondering if there are any like (fairly crime free) neighborhoods to recommend?

Finally, and I know this might seem like a frivolous concern, but my year-long residence in an industrial part of Jersey requires that I ask: How's the drinking water? (I ask the question, because for a year, I lived in an industrial town, where the tap water wasn't desirable for bathing or washing clothes).

As former New Yorkers, do you miss things like NY pizza, or are local eateries and specialty stores equivalent? Ocean aside, is there anything about Long Island that makes you wish you never left?

I know that I asked quite a few questions, although I appreciate your time, and thank you in advance, for whatever information you might provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 10:54 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times
Taxes in NC arent even close to what you pay in LI...I know NJ and LI are very close in what we pay...WE have been researching Union County which is in the charlotte area, anyway we looked at alot of homes ranging between 360k-429k and the highest property taxes were 3300k for a year and the least were about 2000 a year.....Yes you pay a car tax but even if you add it to you property tax, depending on what kind of car/cars you have..we figured we would pay about 659.00 for the year and If I add that to my property tax well its still not expensive...Hope this helps...

Staci

Old 01-16-2007, 06:26 AM

55 posts, read 160,710 times
Default Better to be Safe than Sorry

I'd caution on expectations that taxes will remain at current levels. Union County is experiencing tremendous growth and there is evidence of signifcant pressure on the infrastructure especially related to schools.

To be safe, i planned a doubling of taxes in 5 years, i'm not saying this is going to be true but better to plan that you budget can support the increase than to be surprised. Even with a doubling you are still way below taxes of LI and NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Taxes in NC arent even close to what you pay in LI...I know NJ and LI are very close in what we pay...WE have been researching Union County which is in the charlotte area, anyway we looked at alot of homes ranging between 360k-429k and the highest property taxes were 3300k for a year and the least were about 2000 a year.....Yes you pay a car tax but even if you add it to you property tax, depending on what kind of car/cars you have..we figured we would pay about 659.00 for the year and If I add that to my property tax well its still not expensive...Hope this helps...

Staci

Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 AM

525 posts, read 1,642,179 times
I have never been to LI but I will say I am sure that what you are thinking here is not what it is like. It is still in comparison to LI very rural. Yes Charlotte is very close and Matthews is close by along with Pineville and some other places but it is more small town feel.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:35 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times
PRO THAT IS THE sad thing..even if we double the taxes in Union, we are so below what we pay here...I would have to have taxes there TRIPLE in order for me to pay what I am here....So I welcome more money in my pocket and less hassle....know what I mean....

Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 AM

55 posts, read 160,710 times
Default yes

yes - that is the sad thing for me taxes would have to quadruple to reach my current levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
PRO THAT IS THE sad thing..even if we double the taxes in Union, we are so below what we pay here...I would have to have taxes there TRIPLE in order for me to pay what I am here....So I welcome more money in my pocket and less hassle....know what I mean....

Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,225,816 times
We would have to go up over 5 times before it will be the same as LOng Island

dorothy

Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 AM

18 posts, read 97,954 times
Advice Needed-
Lake Norman Schools Rate High But Said To Be Overcrowded-
Are Schools In Waxhaw Less Crowded?
We Are Interested In The Community Called" The Farms"- Anyone
Have Any Thoughts On This Area?
I Have 5 Children Under 11- We Would Be Leaving Great Schools In New York But Our Annual Taxes Are 16,ooo. Our Schools Have Great Music Program/athletics, Etc...not Crowded At All.
It Is A Huge Decision To Make- Most Of Our Neighbors Are Moving To North Carolina-
Anyone Have Any Ideas Of Best Place To Look For Us?
We Can Probably Spend Up To About 400k.
Any Advice Is Greatly Appreciated.
Thanks So Much!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,135 times
The Farms in Mooresville are very nice. Over sized lots (well nowadays) Close to all the necessities , shopping, food etc etc.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:28 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,225,816 times
Try Lincoln County in NC, We ahve bought in Denver and it is really nice.

Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte