U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 AM
 
5 posts, read 11,897 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I was recently (last night) ticketed for expired tags and invalid (out of state) driver's license. My inspection is also expired. Truth me told I realize I deserved the tickets. However, over the past year I was in and out of the state very much with my commuting back to Virginia for what was seemingly one death after another. Starting with the sudden death of my sister through my uncle and both grand parents. On top of that, the headlights in my car did not work, thus I could not get it inspected and did not drive the car. I was finally able to afford the cost of getting my car headlights fixed (took the dealership 2 tries to actually fix them) and purchase a new emissions part for my car. Idiotically, I was driving to the store last night for some food and was pulled over. I have been in NC for a little while but as I mentioned before the majority of my time was spent driving to Virginia (I rented cars for the drive btw). What are my options? Is it possible or likely the court will dismiss the tickets if I handle the other items? Just some advice would be great, I am a bit stressed over it and with all of the work I missed for bereavements, the fines and such will be incredibly difficult if not impossible to pay. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2008, 07:55 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
I don't think you have any recourse but to pay the fines and rectify the situation by getting a valid driver's license and tags. If you were cited for inspection, also, I believe you only have so many days to comply w/ getting an inspection.

Hopefully, someone else may have better advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2008, 07:58 AM
 
5 posts, read 11,897 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think you have any recourse but to pay the fines and rectify the situation by getting a valid driver's license and tags. If you were cited for inspection, also, I believe you only have so many days to comply w/ getting an inspection.

Hopefully, someone else may have better advice.
Luckily, he did not cite me for the inspection sticker. Obtaining an inspection sticker will be easy now as my car is now operational, working headlights and all (as of earlier yesterday). I assume however, that even when I get it inspected a block will appear on my registration renewal attempt for a fine related to the aforementioned inspection. :\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2008, 08:06 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinranders View Post
Luckily, he did not cite me for the inspection sticker. Obtaining an inspection sticker will be easy now as my car is now operational, working headlights and all (as of earlier yesterday). I assume however, that even when I get it inspected a block will appear on my registration renewal attempt for a fine related to the aforementioned inspection. :\
Not sure if the system is that sophisticated, LOL. I have never dealt w/ this complicated of a situation. I have been cited for lapse of inspection sticker since moving here; and also expired tags (back in college). And I let my driver's license lapse (by accident) one time, and had to take the test again to get a new license. But not all three at once, so I honestly have no clue how difficult this will be to remediate. Did the officer who gave you the tickets give you any advice what to do to straighten this out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2008, 08:09 AM
 
5 posts, read 11,897 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not sure if the system is that sophisticated, LOL. I have never dealt w/ this complicated of a situation. I have been cited for lapse of inspection sticker since moving here; and also expired tags (back in college). And I let my driver's license lapse (by accident) one time, and had to take the test again to get a new license. But not all three at once, so I honestly have no clue how difficult this will be to remediate. Did the officer who gave you the tickets give you any advice what to do to straighten this out?

Not really. He was a bit of a "by the book" type guy. I was not given any room to offer an explanation. He just asked for license, insurance, and registration - wrote my tickets and sent me on my way. One funny thing is - on the citation for my invalid driver's license (virginia) he wrote in the Driver's License information section of the ticket that I had a NC driver's license ><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,766,295 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinranders View Post
I was recently (last night) ticketed for expired tags and invalid (out of state) driver's license. My inspection is also expired. Truth me told I realize I deserved the tickets. However, over the past year I was in and out of the state very much with my commuting back to Virginia for what was seemingly one death after another. Starting with the sudden death of my sister through my uncle and both grand parents. On top of that, the headlights in my car did not work, thus I could not get it inspected and did not drive the car. I was finally able to afford the cost of getting my car headlights fixed (took the dealership 2 tries to actually fix them) and purchase a new emissions part for my car. Idiotically, I was driving to the store last night for some food and was pulled over. I have been in NC for a little while but as I mentioned before the majority of my time was spent driving to Virginia (I rented cars for the drive btw). What are my options? Is it possible or likely the court will dismiss the tickets if I handle the other items? Just some advice would be great, I am a bit stressed over it and with all of the work I missed for bereavements, the fines and such will be incredibly difficult if not impossible to pay. Thanks in advance.
Anything is possible (really). I would go to court, it is still your right to do so. You could potentially get it dismissed and you have a very good chance of having them reduced. Bring your records and proof of all that you say and show it to the DAs. If you have a good driving record that even adds to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 12:56 AM
 
5 posts, read 11,897 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Anything is possible (really). I would go to court, it is still your right to do so. You could potentially get it dismissed and you have a very good chance of having them reduced. Bring your records and proof of all that you say and show it to the DAs. If you have a good driving record that even adds to it.

I will definately do that. I will, hopefully, get everything updated on Monday, which is probably the worst day of the week to hit up the DMV and Tag office. And then wait for my court date. My driving record is spotless, my last ticket was almost 11 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:30 AM
 
Location: Suburban Buffalo, NY
928 posts, read 3,536,232 times
Reputation: 214
Well, basically you were driving a car which is illegal to drive because you do not have legal license plates on it. You are not licenesed to drive either. Hum... The fines say that you should have been driving. I know many a people who drive cars here with NC plates and out of state d/l and the first time they get pulled over they get fines for not having NC D/l. THey cannot hit you for inspection technically because if your car isn't registered then you don't have to inspect it.

Holidays are a bad time to drive if you've got any potentinal fines, because they will give tickets up the but for anything. Honestly, the Inspection is the easiest because the DMV will fine you a simple $250 if you don't inspect your car. So, cops are not most likely going to chase you down for that.

It sounds like you need to do some work this week and get everything legal. As a bonus point, have someone drive you to dmv because if you show up with an expired license they can make your life really miserable that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 07:12 AM
 
5 posts, read 11,897 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Well, basically you were driving a car which is illegal to drive because you do not have legal license plates on it. You are not licenesed to drive either. Hum... The fines say that you should have been driving. I know many a people who drive cars here with NC plates and out of state d/l and the first time they get pulled over they get fines for not having NC D/l. THey cannot hit you for inspection technically because if your car isn't registered then you don't have to inspect it.

Holidays are a bad time to drive if you've got any potentinal fines, because they will give tickets up the but for anything. Honestly, the Inspection is the easiest because the DMV will fine you a simple $250 if you don't inspect your car. So, cops are not most likely going to chase you down for that.

It sounds like you need to do some work this week and get everything legal. As a bonus point, have someone drive you to dmv because if you show up with an expired license they can make your life really miserable that day.

My license isn't expired, it is simply out of state. I continued to have my VA license as, for the most part, I was still living in VA for the majority of my time over the last several months. I think I messed up by registering my car in NC but hindsight is 20/20 and I could have never predicted the circumstances of my frequent return(s) to VA. I had a bad feeling before I left the house tbh. However, I talked myself into driving to the store (which funny enough is less than a mile from my home) :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2008, 07:38 AM
 
540 posts, read 1,523,714 times
Reputation: 330
You will soon get bombarded with advertisements in the mail from traffic attys.
Call a couple and get the best price and go with it. They'll take care of it for you.

I got a no NC DL ticket and it was like 170 bucks...
got my nc dl and atty got it taken care of for 95.00
saving me 75 bucks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top