U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times

Advertisements

Just curious what others think. With an election coming up, I am wondering what is on everyone's minds as far as local issues here in the CharMeck metro (so feel free to speak up if you are in a surrounding county that is impacted by issues in Meck, i.e. Union, Cabarrus, or York, SC).

Even tho I don't have children in school here, the school system and how it is run does concern me. I think we ought to break up the district.

Crime and how we handle offenders concerns me.

Highway/Road development and expansion/maintenance concern me.

Not anything our elected officials can do about the economy, per se, but that does concern me, as well. Economic incentives ARE controlled by local governing bodies, so I guess from that angle, attracting or retaining business is a municipal issue . . . corporate taxation . . .

Of course, other issues concern me such as cost of gas and food, but that is not really something our local officials can do much about.

So I am curious about the local issues that others are thinking about . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 11:15 AM

620 posts, read 1,918,097 times
Crime, education, and transportation.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Thank you, Mike! I am thinking those are the big issues for most everyone here - but sure hope others will post w/ their thoughts. Appreciate your post!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,627,656 times
Default Terms of Service

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:35 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,055,980 times
I think one of the challenges is how we handle growth. I think that Charlotte is going to continue to grow and what I'm afraid of is that we're going to turn into another Atlanta.

I am hoping that Charlotte can continue to maintain it's "Small town feel" while experiencing this growth.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times
Education must be addressed.
The school district is much too large to manage on a cost effective basis.
Several years ago the Charlotte Observer posted that buses run just under 100,000 miles per day in Mecklenburg County, which today must be a staggering cost.
I would love to utilize the local system but would never consider it until it was split into smaller, more autonomous, units.

Transportation must be addressed.
Main arteries are, and have been for sometime, at capacity, yet building continues.
It is short sighted to allow so much building off two lane roads (esp Union County currently) without widening the roads.

Beyond that I yearn for the smallest government and least taxes possible, but I will not hold my breath.
'The government is best which governs least' - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by mullman; 07-05-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: spelling - ARGH!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I think one of the challenges is how we handle growth. I think that Charlotte is going to continue to grow and what I'm afraid of is that we're going to turn into another Atlanta.

I am hoping that Charlotte can continue to maintain it's "Small town feel" while experiencing this growth.
That is a really insightful comment, Jake. I, too, hope we can keep that more "home town" feel here. We are already spread out so far - this is a big metro!!! I don't see our ever becoming an ATL tho. At least, I hope not. The good thing is . . . there is still open land here . . . and the housing/neighborhoods are not as dense as ATL's . . .

I think the big challenge w/ growth is w/ infrastructure - roads, water, sewer and schools . . . managing that growth . . . we have to have strong city leaders to make good decisions and plan for the future.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Education must be addressed.
The school district is much to large to manage on a cost effective basis.
Several years ago the Charlotte Observer posted that buses run just under 100,000 miles per day in Mecklenburg County, which today must be a staggering cost.
I would love to utilize the local system but would never consider it until it was split into smaller, more autonomous, units.

Transportation must be addressed.
Main arteries are, and have been for sometime, at capacity, yet building continues.
It is short sighted to allow so much building off two lane roads (esp Union County currently) without widening the roads.

Beyond that I yearn for the smallest government and least taxes possible, but I will not hold my breath.
'The government is best which governs least' - Thomas Jefferson
I agree - our highways and roads are a big concern and affect us all!

I need to learn more about how the state apportions money for road improvement and management. As I understand, that is all up to the General Assembly . . . but I may be wrong. Perhaps DOT simply submits a budget to the GA and they approve it . .. ??? I wish someone could give me that scoop on how that money is handled in this state.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:24 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,430,019 times
I'd like to know why we have to get our trash out the night before pick up & the dang garbage men don't show up till the afternoon?

Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,366,415 times
I agree with Jake. While the growth has been great for the economy, infrastructure has been pushed to the limits, in some cases. The state is going to have to come up with a better plan for the 485....it just blows my mind how Charlotte, with it's size and traffic, has no true loop around the city. Much smaller cities across the country have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or