Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:26 PM

132 posts, read 471,739 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Ft Mill/ Tega Cay??? Possibly Clover? My husband has shifted gears and wants to look in these areas and I am totally at a loss! We were looking in Highland Creek, Moss Creek, and Skybrook...all NORTH of the city!

I need to know the best schools (like eveyone else!) and also the neighborhoods associated with them. We are looking in the 300K-350K price range. If someone can point me to a district map for the schools, I would be so happy Greatschools.net had some info, but I wanted to get more from the folks here.

Anyone live in these areas?? Can you tell me where to begin (or where to avoid HA!)

Thank you!!

Anita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 05:37 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
Anita, if you do a simple search for "Fort Mill" in this forum you will find a LOT of posts with people (including me) singing the praises of this area. York County is a FABULOUS area and for the amount you have budgeted for a house you would live VERY NICELY in these towns. The York County side of Fort Mill has excellent schools, as does Clover and Tega Cay.

The only place to "avoid" (and I think that's a too strong a word because it implies the area is bad - and it's not at all) is the Lancaster County side of Fort Mill. It's a GOOD area, but the schools are not as highly rated as those in the York side of Fort Mill.

It's a quick commute to Charlotte, with lots of sports and amenities nearby. Low property taxes are a definite plus too!

Here's a link to the school district map:

http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/School%20Maps/School%20Maps.htm (broken link)

If you want a realtor recommendation I can definitely PM with a referral for you.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:56 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearsmom View Post
Can anyone tell me about Ft Mill/ Tega Cay??? Possibly Clover? My husband has shifted gears and wants to look in these areas and I am totally at a loss! We were looking in Highland Creek, Moss Creek, and Skybrook...all NORTH of the city!

I need to know the best schools (like eveyone else!) and also the neighborhoods associated with them. We are looking in the 300K-350K price range. If someone can point me to a district map for the schools, I would be so happy Greatschools.net had some info, but I wanted to get more from the folks here.

Anyone live in these areas?? Can you tell me where to begin (or where to avoid HA!)

Thank you!!

Anita
Have you considered Union County? Taxes are generally lower than in Mecklenburg and for sure check the school ratings Best of luck to you.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Anita, if you do a simple search for "Fort Mill" in this forum you will find a LOT of posts with people (including me) singing the praises of this area. York County is a FABULOUS area and for the amount you have budgeted for a house you would live VERY NICELY in these towns. The York County side of Fort Mill has excellent schools, as does Clover and Tega Cay.

The only place to "avoid" (and I think that's a too strong a word because it implies the area is bad - and it's not at all) is the Lancaster County side of Fort Mill. It's a GOOD area, but the schools are not as highly rated as those in the York side of Fort Mill.

It's a quick commute to Charlotte, with lots of sports and amenities nearby. Low property taxes are a definite plus too!

Here's a link to the school district map:

http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/School%20Maps/School%20Maps.htm (broken link)

If you want a realtor recommendation I can definitely PM with a referral for you.

Well said!!! I totally agree

Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearsmom View Post

Thank you!!

Anita

Hey there Anita - I happen to live in Tega Cay and our children attend the Fort Mill School Distrcit (3 years now...where has the time gone ).

As "Girl" has stated above any of these areas in York County are good solid choices.

A couple of quick tips if you are looking on realtor sites for homes:

If you are looking into CLOVER, SC (you can also try using LAKE WYLIE, SC) - both are within the Clover School District.

If you are looking at TEGA CAY, SC (the zip code for TC is 29708 - we use a FORT MILL zip code)

If you are looking in FORT MILL, SC (they have 3 zip codes 29708, 29716, and 29715)

-Both Tega Cay and Fort Mill are within The FMSD

-All of the above towns/cities are within York County

-There is also an area called INDIAN LAND that uses a Fort Mill zip code (29715) but in fact this area is within Lancaster County (and the children would attend Lancaster County schools)

My children attend Gold Hill Elem., and Gold Hill Middle..and I can not say enough good things about them. At the same time I would not hesitate to send my children to any of the schools within the district. I mention this as some of the schools are coming close to capacity. So depending on where your child would attend they could be sent to another school within the district (but again they all are excellent schools). We have a new High School to open this year, a new middle school just opened this past year, and there are new elementary schools that are currently in the works.

In regard to the Clover school district...you might check the school website...as I know there has been talk of going to year around schedules? (as they too try to deal as best they can with the influx of new students).

Best of luck to you and if you have any other questions feel free to ask away!

Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,190 times
I agree with what everyone says concerning the Fort Mill / Clover schools. You can't go wrong with either. We recently researched both areas and are currently building a home in Fort Mill.

You can get more home for your money in Clover, but it was a bit too far from the interstate for us. Tega Cay is very nice as well, but we chose Fort Mill because there seemed to be a larger selection of homes and it was closer to family for us. As far as neighborhoods in Fort Mill, Baxter is usually the first to come up. It's real nice, but expensive. We're building in a new, smaller neighborhood called Walden Park. Prices range from mid-200's to mid-300's.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:51 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
This was the area we were told to check out for my husbands new job.We were not impressed to say the least.Strip malls and houses on top of houses explained the area.The "lake"(Wylie) was very dark brown and we were told very polluted.The schools were packed to the rafters.Please visit Charlotte more then once to make up your minds.I am glad there are happy folks who enjoy their new homes.I am not sure where they moved from,but we turned the job down upon further checking of the whole Charlotte thing(hot hot humid weather,crime,cheap building,schools,traffic out of this world).Please allow another opinion,though opposite of what is here.I mean no disrespect,but just our honest opinion.Good Luck

Old 01-17-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Difference of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizbe View Post
This was the area we were told to check out for my husbands new job.We were not impressed to say the least.Strip malls and houses on top of houses explained the area.The "lake"(Wylie) was very dark brown and we were told very polluted.The schools were packed to the rafters.Please visit Charlotte more then once to make up your minds.I am glad there are happy folks who enjoy their new homes.I am not sure where they moved from,but we turned the job down upon further checking of the whole Charlotte thing(hot hot humid weather,crime,cheap building,schools,traffic out of this world).Please allow another opinion,though opposite of what is here.I mean no disrespect,but just our honest opinion.Good Luck
frizbe - there's CHARLOTTE, and then there is YORK COUNTY. The two are completely different and I'm sorry that you found York County to be lacking.

C'lotte is a metropolitan CITY - so of course there is crime and traffic. However, York County, despite being only 10-15 miles south, is the antithesis. Incredibly safe, low traffic heading into C'lotte (compared to what I've experienced in my 20 years of working in NoVA and NYC/NoNJ), and great schools (with more being built to handle the influx of new residents).

And it's the SOUTH - of course it's going to be hot and humid. It's not Maine!

As for the cheap building, yes there are some communities that are being "thrown up" instead of being very carefully built. But there are also a lot of new(ish) communities that are very well built and the homeowners have great pride in their homes.

You said, "I am not sure where they moved from," but I'd be curious to know where you were moving from to gain more perspective on your dislike of the area. Are you moving from an area that is more rural? Or a hip urban area? Because that can make a difference on a person's expectations. You also mentioned "houses on houses" but other than Baxter Village, which was *specifically* built as an urban living community (small yards, houses close to street and each other), I can't think of many neighborhoods that fit that description. But again, it depends on what you are used to. Where I lived in NoNJ, we were lucky to have a house on .16 acre of land and feel our current .25 acre is LARGE in comparison. Quite literally in our old house I ran a phone wire from my neighbors living room to my second floor bedroom through our windows in order to set up my DirecTV service because my husband was on our phone with the satellite company troubleshooting. That's how close our houses were (and no, the phone line didn't stay in place - it was JUST for activation purposes). My subdivision here in SC also has 1/3 acre lots and higher. So to someone like me, we've gained MORE privacy by moving here.

Again, YMMV (your mileage may vary), but I'm very gung-ho about Fort Mill/Tega Cay/Clover/Lake Wylie and what these towns have to offer.

The one thing I DO agree with is to visit the area to make sure it's right for you. As I've said in another thread, and I know another poster has said, I knew within 20 minutes of driving through Fort Mill that it was the place I wanted to hang my hat. I don't regret my decision at all.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Thank you for your response.We looked at homes around Tega Cay, Ballantyne,and Lake Norman.Visited twice,5 days each,we knew after that it didnt have our name on it.We did meet very nice people on both trips.We live in Oregon.I am happy for you that you found "home". Continue to enjoy

Old 01-17-2007, 05:12 PM

Well no wonder you found Fort Mill/Charlotte not to be your cup of tea! Oregon is AMAZINGLY beautiful!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte