U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 08:01 PM

45 posts, read 179,017 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at a possible transfer to Charlotte. I've never been to Charlotte, but we are both from the east coast and have been to NC/SC so I think we would get used to life there pretty quickly.

I know there will be a lot of differing opinions, but what would you consider the best areas to live? Best schools public or private? We would be looking at houses in the $500,000 - $700,000. I'm not sure what you get for your money in regards to housing. Here in Scottsdale you get a whole lot of nothing after spending a whole lot of money. We would definitely rent for a year or so before making a final decision.

Also, what are your thoughts on Atlanta vs. Charlotte? Why would you pick one over the other?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 08:33 PM

60 posts, read 164,896 times
You can get a whole lot of house for your price range!! You can live in the best of areas so you're choices are endless!! You can live in areas such as Ballantyne, Dilworth, Wilmore (transitioning area close to Uptown) and the list goes on. In those areas you will have access to the best of schools.

I absolutely LOVE Atlanta. The difference between ATL and Charlotte is the culture. Atlanta is a lot more cultured and far more developed than Charlotte. However, that's why Charlotte may be your best bet. Not as many people, prices are lower, and if you really love ATL it's only a 3 1/2 hr drive away. If you need a realtor i can reccomend you to someone. My realtor knows Charlotte like the back of his hand. He is born and raised here and can definitely steer you in the right direction. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 PM

45 posts, read 179,017 times
Thank you so much. The reason I ask about Atlanta is that my husband's company's HQ is there, so jobs are plentiful. I think I'd prefer the Carolinas though. Once we here about the job I would love to talk to your friend who is a realtor. It can be hard to find a good one.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,547,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az4good View Post
My husband is looking at a possible transfer to Charlotte. I've never been to Charlotte, but we are both from the east coast and have been to NC/SC so I think we would get used to life there pretty quickly.

I know there will be a lot of differing opinions, but what would you consider the best areas to live? Best schools public or private? We would be looking at houses in the $500,000 - $700,000. I'm not sure what you get for your money in regards to housing. Here in Scottsdale you get a whole lot of nothing after spending a whole lot of money. We would definitely rent for a year or so before making a final decision.

Also, what are your thoughts on Atlanta vs. Charlotte? Why would you pick one over the other?

Thanks!
You will have many options at that price point...on the south side of town, consider Hembstead, Providence Plantation, Deerfield Creek, Ballantyne Country Club, Providence Country Club, Bridgehampton, Marvin Creek, Providence Downs, Firethorne, Kingsmead, Weddington Chase, Brookhaven, Lake Forest Preserve -- there's more for sure, but a good start here. Best of luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or