U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:34 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Lily - I just noticed you are in Ireland!!! Erin go Brae!

Ya'll aren't supposed to have snakes there since St. Paddy drove them out! I guess they all came across the pond - and ended up here at my house!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM

here is some info from NC State about copperheads, and a picture:

Copperhead Snakes

Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM

650 posts, read 1,108,252 times
You're right, we don't have snakes; might be why I'm fascinated by yours! We have stinging nettles, and ummm...collies that run under your car. And...well ok we're not a very hazardous country to live in.

People have brought snakes in as pets, but jeez, not copperheads!!

(since your last post I've been looking at these emoticons for one that's barfing, no luck...)

Are they edible?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,434,570 times
Are you going to put it on the grill, Ani?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Are you going to put it on the grill, Ani?
Too much trouble to prep it, Hee Hee.

I have eaten rattlesnake, tho, while in Grand Junction, CO . . . with a group. . . we had an evening gathering while in the national monument area and they provided us w/ several types of BBQ . . . including rattlesnake!!!! I SWEAR!!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
You're right, we don't have snakes; might be why I'm fascinated by yours! We have stinging nettles, and ummm...collies that run under your car. And...well ok we're not a very hazardous country to live in.

People have brought snakes in as pets, but jeez, not copperheads!!

(since your last post I've been looking at these emoticons for one that's barfing, no luck...)

Are they edible?
Never heard of anyone eating a copperhead. EEEWWWWWW!!!

The rattlesnake, predictably, tasted a lot like . . . chicken.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Never heard of anyone eating a copperhead. EEEWWWWWW!!!

The rattlesnake, predictably, tasted a lot like . . . chicken.
Had rattlesnake while living in CO too. And Rocky Mountain Oysters- both taste like chicken. The oysters were good with ranch dressing. You, apparently have far more control than I, as I would have needed a change of underwear. Glad you're safe!!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Had rattlesnake while living in CO too. And Rocky Mountain Oysters- both taste like chicken. The oysters were good with ranch dressing. You, apparently have far more control than I, as I would have needed a change of underwear. Glad you're safe!!
Thank you, Hoagie!!! Shucks, I am a country girl (sorta) . . . so I was raised spending a lot of time on the grandparents' farms . . . and growing up around woods - one just learns not to freak over snakes.

Poisonous snakes, tho, do cause me . . . uh . . . real consternation, Hee Hee.

Mountain oysters!!!!! no way! Not going there . . .

Old 07-07-2008, 04:37 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
My wife is from Minnesota so naturally she wasn't much exposed to poisonous snakes. She has since live in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and not North Carolina. She has come across so many cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, coral snakes, and strangely, not copperheads, that she doesn't even worry about them. She has stepped inches from cottonmouths during walks through the woods near ponds and watched them run away so many times that she isn't scared any more. It isn't that she would ever pick up one, but she just knows that they are not agressive and one doesn't have to worry about them unless the snake is in a defensive position. I do ask that you do not kill snakes. I have a weird fondness for them. They have their role in nature and do far more good than bad. Know that if you ever see a huge blacksnake or other harmless snake in your basement or other such place they are there there eating rats, mice, roaches and/or other unpleasant creatures.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
My wife is from Minnesota so naturally she wasn't much exposed to poisonous snakes. She has since live in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and not North Carolina. She has come across so many cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, coral snakes, and strangely, not copperheads, that she doesn't even worry about them. She has stepped inches from cottonmouths during walks through the woods near ponds and watched them run away so many times that she isn't scared any more. It isn't that she would ever pick up one, but she just knows that they are not agressive and one doesn't have to worry about them unless the snake is in a defensive position. I do ask that you do not kill snakes. I have a weird fondness for them. They have their role in nature and do far more good than bad. Know that if you ever see a huge blacksnake or other harmless snake in your basement or other such place they are there there eating rats, mice, roaches and/or other unpleasant creatures.
I only kill copperheads that come up to my doorstep. They scare me. And I have killed two rattlesnakes, too . . . one was killing my guineas and it took me nearly a year to catch up w/ him (that was not around here!!!) I don't kill other snakes . . .

But copperheads have bitten one of my dogs and also a cat in the past . . . and they scare me. Unlike other snakes - they are aggressive. That is what bothers me. Had a friend who got bitten and even w/ immediate treatment - necrosis, etc - it was bad. Just don't like copperheads at all.

We have a beautiful king snake here in the neighborhood and there has been lots of discussion to try to make sure people here understand that he is not to be bothered. I agree w/ you - most snakes will move on - but copperheads and rattlers . . . nope. I will kill one that comes near me, if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte