Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Ok, after hearing about american cheese on top of Pizza, I will now vomit...
OMG you made me laugh so hard. Thanks for that! Don't knock it 'til you've tried it though. It is delicious -- and I love NY style pizza too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,533 times
We found a new place that just opened in Matthews.....Dalli's Pizzeria at 15080 Idlewild Rd (just off 85 next to Lowe's Foods). The owners are from Brooklyn and make the best pizza we've found in the Charlotte area. Even with the bad gas prices we travel all the way from Mooresville every week (like 40 miles one way) because Dalli's pizza is worth it!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
american cheese on PIzza are u kidding me?

Old 07-09-2008, 03:44 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,732,973 times
We are in Charlotte for the night and drove by a place called the Open Kitchen. It was packed! How is the pizza there?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,561 times
Default Why is it?

I really find pizza to be pretty boring (yes, I've had pizza in NYC and in Chicago, still no big deal to me ). There are just so many better, more interesting foods around. But here's a question that I've had every time this subject pops up here. Why is it every time someone mentions a pizza joint (or Deli) around here, they also mention that the owners are from <insert favorite northern city>. It’s like some type of validation that the pizza wasn't scraped up off the street somewhere. I wouldn't think that origin of the pizza maker would make any difference. It seems, just like any other foods, the skill of the maker and the quality of the ingredients make the most difference. For example, does a guy from NY working at Papa John's in Rock Hill, make a better pizza than the guy from Rock Hill just because he's from NY?

I have a good friend who is an amazing personal chef. He was born and raised around here and has studied his craft like crazy. There's nothing he can't make. Yet, he gets asked all the time if he's from NY, because he "cooks just like he was". As soon as he opens his mouth and this wonderful southern drawl comes out, people are really shocked.

Guess I'm just not getting it today.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:10 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
In regards to the guy making pizza at PJ's in RH, no he does not make a better pizza nd here is why: PJ's dough is frozen. The sauce comes in bags premade. The pepperoni comes sliced and the cheesed is already diced. When working at a pizza franchise, you have to do everything to the franchise standards, just like any other franchise business. Now if that same guy made pies in NY then moved to Rock Hill, opened his own pizza joint, it probably would be better than most places here. As for Chicago style: too thick. NY Style: too thin. Buffalo pizza is the perfect medium.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
We are in Charlotte for the night and drove by a place called the Open Kitchen. It was packed! How is the pizza there?
That place is awful.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana] For example, does a guy from NY working at Papa John's in Rock Hill, make a better pizza than the guy from Rock Hill just because he's from NY]
I can't take you seriously when you use Papa John's as an example....

Think of it this way....would you take a cook seriously who made BBQ and was from Brooklyn?

Or say someone from Little Rock, AK making clam chowder??

Its just the way it is....

Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,561 times
okay PJ's was a bit immoderate but I was trying to make a point. Yes, I would definitely eat BBQ in NY if it was well prepared and good quality. I wouldn't immediately dismiss it because it didn't come from Lexington or was prepared by someone that wasn't southern. One of the best true southern meals I've ever had came in a resturant in DC. I doubt the chef that prepared it was from Charleston, but the food was a good as any I had there.

I guess, I just don't get why someone has to announce the regional pedigree of any resturant owners before they are taken seriously. Like you said, maybe that's just the way it is

Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM

64 posts, read 159,008 times
Why hasn't anyone mentioned "Brooklyn Pizza Parlor" on Rea and Colony? Better than Tony's.

NY Style Pizza, Italian Restaurant, Brooklyn Boys, Brooklyn South, Neighborhood Pizzeria, Mooresville, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte