U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,479 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]My girlfriend and I are currently college seniors attending school in the Midwest. After a recent job interview in Charlotte we both fell in love with Charlotte and North Carolina in general. Upon graduation we would like to relocate to Carolina- preferably near Charlotte, but not necessarily in Charlotte. Although our plans are premature we would like to get a jump on things and hopefully get some needed answers. We would like to get some information on possible areas with other young couples. Also we are both very active and love any outdoor activities: running, biking, boating, ect. We know little about the city and surrounding areas so any info that may help would be greatly appreciated![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]BM[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,479 times
One more quick question. Does Charlotte or surronding areas have regulations on certain dog breeds. I own an Amstaff bull terrier and could never give him up so this is important.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,963,549 times
Default Jobs!

What are your majors? What fields do you hope to land jobs in?

A couple bits of advice:

1. Do not move here without a job. The market is tough right now.
2. Choose your home based on your jobs. Commutes can suck here.
3. Good luck in school!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 AM

115 posts, read 523,163 times
I moved here with my fiance from Chicago last August...we love it. Weather is a big plus! As for the commute, there is none compared to Chicago, but depending on what you're used to, there may be one. I live int he South End area between Dilworth and downtown and love it, though I work in the Lake Norman area. Bsed on what you said you like for activities and depending on affordability concerns for housing (rent/own), I would recommend Huntersville or Cornelius, and I would start (if you're renting) with Birkdale Village. If you want to live Uptown or in the SouthEnd (which we love), the choices are endless. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM

24 posts, read 70,694 times
Birkdale Village!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,736,775 times
In addition to amploud's post, I recommend renting for at least 6 months to get a feel for the area (where ever you move) and make the best choice you can for buying.

As far as outdoors stuff, Charltote is a good central spot for it. Mountains are 1.5-2 hours away (30 minutes to the first one), biking (on road and off road) is all around, the white water center is unique to this city, plus you get all the benefits of a big city with it all: concerts, shopping, airport, sports, etc...

Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 12,315 times
Have lurked on this board for a long time I can tell I will be in the extreme minority of posters with this advice but here goes.

Having lived in a variety of cities in the US, I'm not surprised Charlotte looks like a paradise to you coming from the Mid-West. I actually just moved from the West Coast, but Charlotte is full of transplants from Chicago, New York and the like that come here thinking it's paradise. So bizarre.

Charlotte is suburban to the extreme. So my advice is live where you work. Thus the get a job before you come thing is very helpful. Charlotteans seems to like to commute though so if you want to fit in go ahead and live out near South Carolina and sit like a sheep on I-77 for 2 hours a day.

Having lived in places where transplants are a huge and vocal part of the populous before, I can say that's the worst part of Charlotte. I am a newcomer, you will be too, that's fine. But when you have a town full of transplants, they tend to be nit-picky and whiney. That is, they moved here because they were pro-active about changing there lives. When it's not all its cracked up to be, things tend to get factious.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,680,880 times
Yep, Birkdale Village in Lake Norman (LKN). There's a thin line between your dog and a pit bull, so you may be limited to some apartment complexes that restrict aggressive breeds.

Do tell us what your majors are and what you're seeking to do. LKN area is awesome and prime time for outdoor activities!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,736,775 times
Samaki, that's actually a good take. Not necessarily bad, and by no means the reoccuring norm, but pretty honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte