Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:09 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingBuffalo View Post
What if the out of state tuition is just way too much at first? That's my biggest fear. If I could figure out some monthly estimate for expenses it would be easy to figure out, and thanks.
Okay, to help you make your decision, I made a few phone calls...

Since you most likely won't get much help from your parents it seems to me that going with CPCC (the community college) is a great plan. It is a real bargain compared to university out of state tuition. If you move here with your Florida high school diploma it will only cost you about $3800 a semester to attend CPCC - that is an estimate for full-time tuition, books, lab fees, parking, etc. It would be less if you went fewer hours. If you do that for two semesters you could then apply for in-state status and would then only pay approximately $675 a semester in tuition (that does not include books). They suggest you change your drivers license over to a NC license right after you move, as the date on it is what they will look at to help in establishing you as a resident.

Now, $3800 may sound like a lot, but it really isn't, that is very doable. You would want to find someone to room with to spilt expenses, but do expect to pay at least $350 a month for your share of rent and electricities. Any apartment in Charlotte renting for under $600 will be in much less safe areas, so don't go for those kinds of rentals okay?

Keep coming back here to ask for help - that's what we are here for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,862,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Since you most likely won't get much help from your parents it seems to me that going with CPCC (the community college) is a great plan. It is a real bargain compared to university out of state tuition. If you move here with your Florida high school diploma it will only cost you about $3800 a semester to attend CPCC - that is an estimate for full-time tuition, books, lab fees, parking, etc. It would be less if you went fewer hours. If you do that for two semesters you could then apply for in-state status and would then only pay approximately $675 a semester in tuition (that does not include books). They suggest you change your drivers license over to a NC license right after you move, as the date on it is what they will look at to help in establishing you as a resident.

Now, $3800 may sound like a lot, but it really isn't, that is very doable. You would want to find someone to room with to spilt expenses, but do expect to pay at least $350 a month for your share of rent and electricities. Any apartment in Charlotte renting for under $600 will be in much less safe areas, so don't go for those kinds of rentals okay?

Awesome info, Loves! I feel that if he saves enough to pay for his first 2 semesters, he shouldn't have any problem making enough to pay for living expenses, even working part-time. This will also save him the stress of having to apply for and obtain student loans. Of course, scholarships and grants are plentiful, so that may be a partial solution as well.

The two things to focus on for the next year are (1) Raise your GPA as much as possible, and (2) save every penny possible for expenses. Check Craigs list, and get a feel for the roommate situation. Keep us posted!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Was curious, so I checked Craig's list, and this was the first post I came across. Certainly encouraging! Oh, and CPCC has multiple campuses- it may pay to find one close to where you'll be leaving, rather than choosing the campus first.
Perfect for UNCC Students looking to share an apartment off campus! (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/roo/748159739.html - broken link)

Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,662,844 times
My vote would be to work full time and go to school part time for the first 2 semesters. Take 2 courses each semester to gain 12 hours, while working to save and pad your pocket. Plus, less stress of the transition from FL to NC and you get to settle in.

Then, by the time you're ready to take on a full load of school, you'll be a resident and you're likely to need LESS financial aide because of what you've saved through your full time wages in the previous year.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 AM

17 posts, read 41,564 times
Quote:

You don't know how great it felt to read some of those words, I just want to reach out and give you a big hug, thanks a lot...lol got carried away a bit.

I googled Charlottle apartments and found some nice looking ones, I already have an apt. guide, and I know it's too early to look for them, but I figured why not

http://www.apartments.com/avsummary.aspx?page=avsummary&subarea2=y&studio=1& twobdr (broken link)
m=1&state=nc&srt1=0.66&am24=0&subarea3=y&
mode=6144&pdrivefrm=1&property=235942.1.2&a
m39=0&prvpg=8&subarea1=y&rent_maximum=999
99&rgn1=144&am2=0&onebdrm=1&srt2=0.66&rent_
minimum=0&am28=0&am22=0&srt3=0.66&area7=y&pdriveit =0
Long url.

One thing I found in common is that most apts in the Charlotte area, are nice and cheap too. Same apt in my town would be 2500 a month at least.

Since I am after-all wanting to move in a 1.5 years time, and since Charlotte is booming with newcomers, would apts get that much more expensive?

edit: I was talking to my Dad about an hour ago, and it turns out he thinks my entire plan is absolutely retarded. So I know his support is shakey at best. He thinks leaving state for a CC is flat-out dumb .

Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingBuffalo View Post
You don't know how great it felt to read some of those words, I just want to reach out and give you a big hug, thanks a lot...lol got carried away a bit.

I googled Charlottle apartments and found some nice looking ones, I already have an apt. guide, and I know it's too early to look for them, but I figured why not

http://www.apartments.com/avsummary.aspx?page=avsummary&subarea2=y&studio=1& twobdr (broken link)
m=1&state=nc&srt1=0.66&am24=0&subarea3=y&
mode=6144&pdrivefrm=1&property=235942.1.2&a
m39=0&prvpg=8&subarea1=y&rent_maximum=999
99&rgn1=144&am2=0&onebdrm=1&srt2=0.66&rent_
minimum=0&am28=0&am22=0&srt3=0.66&area7=y&pdriveit =0
Long url.

One thing I found in common is that most apts in the Charlotte area, are nice and cheap too. Same apt in my town would be 2500 a month at least.

Since I am after-all wanting to move in a 1.5 years time, and since Charlotte is booming with newcomers, would apts get that much more expensive?

edit: I was talking to my Dad about an hour ago, and it turns out he thinks my entire plan is absolutely retarded. So I know his support is shakey at best. He thinks leaving state for a CC is flat-out dumb .
Glad to help, and hugs back at you! Don't get discouraged by your Dad's reaction - maybe he just needs time to see you formulating a plan of action and sticking with it before he'll show you some respect for your decisions. I think it is great to have goals, it's the only way you'll ever go anywhere or acheive anything actually. Along the way your goals and dreams may change, AND that's okay - and long as you make sure to do some planning along with your dreaming

Highly unlikely rents would go up much more than what they are currently, I don't think you have too much to worry about there.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Quote:
Lacey - a lot has changed in student loans in 6 years - please be careful what you advise this young man. We are going thru the process RIGHT NOW - he will not get student loans so easily any more. Additionally, like I said previously, if he did find someone willing to give him one in his name his parents would still have to co-sign AND his rate would be higher and variable - not the best of plans when taking on out of state tuition.
my loans are all federal loans, perhaps that makes a difference. WikiAnswers - How do you get a student loan without a co-signer

check here for info on NC school loans. CFNC - Paying For College - North Carolina's EXTRA Education Loan Program
definitely file a fafsa.

i agree with the idea of working fulltime and taking a couple of classes at CPCC to save money until you are a resident.

i am finishing up my masters in school counseling (elementary level focus), so i of course highly recommend seeing your school counselor about your plans and concerns as he/she can be a great resource and source of support, especially since you aren't getting support from your parents. best of luck!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:50 AM

237 posts, read 298,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Of course, he could always tell the college he's an illegal alien. Then. of course, he'd qualify for in-state tuition rates.
No you dont:

Illegal immigrants face threat of no college - USATODAY.com

Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
Wow! Must have missed that. I must say it's about time!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte