Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 11,426 times

Advertisements

Hi

This form has been a great help to learn more about schools. I am in north side of Charlotte and I am looking at two private schools: Cannon and Countryside Montessori. Can anyone tell me which is the best. I see there is big difference in tuition but if Cannon is worth the money, I don't have problem paying for it. I know that all the great private schools are located in south side but I do not want to travel that much. I am not interested in public/charter schools at this time. Private school reviews are not available online and it is so hard to make a decision. Thank you for all your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 AM

509 posts, read 1,796,179 times
The answer really depends on what style of learning you prefer and is suitable for your children. The Montessori approach is a very specific style of learning environment. It is not for everyone. That said, my daughter is in a Montessori school (not the one you asked about) and flourishes.

I don't know that one school is "better" than the other. They are very different.

Have you visited each to check out the learning styles for yourself?

Also, you might want to consider joining either charlottemommies.com or lknmommies.com (depending on your location) and asking for opinions there... the mommies are very opinionated and helpful.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 14,611 times
HI, I do not know either of the schools directly,but when our daughter was young we had her in a Montessori school in CO. She loved it and we did too! There were so many opportunities for her personal growth, education and interactions with all other peers. We would do it again!!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 AM

Thanks for your replies. I like Montessori but not a big fan of it. I believe it would benefit kids in the beginning years but may not be great when it comes to middle or high school. Maybe I am wrong.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,895,186 times
I think it really depends a lot on your child's learning style. If he/she is self-motivated, I think Montessori s a wonderful environment. If on the other hand, she is more interested in socializing and needs imposed structure I'm not sure that it's the best place for her. Both of my kids attended Montessori schools for pre-school and were very well prepared for first grade in a more traditional setting. I think Montessori encouraged their native curiosity and desire to investigate their world.

I know of other families whose children did not flourish in a Montessori school because they needed a more structured environment. But then, Montessori teachers are not all the same and, although the basic philosophy is the same, different teachers put their own twist on it and the environment can vary from teacher to teacher.

If I had to do it over again I would certainly start with Montessori and see how it worked for my children.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I hear now great things about Montessori but nothing much about Cannon. Does anybody have experience with Cannon school? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,819 times
I have several friends whose kids are at Cannon and totally love it. They are fantastic kids, so if they are any reflection of the school, I would definitely check it out. The kids are bright, yet still feel challenged, and tell me they are getting a top-notch education. Plus, they have a big character education program that seems to practice what it preaches.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,990,660 times
We have been considering Cannon since we got pregnant. The things I like about it are the availability of a variety of extracurricular activities. I like knowing that if our daughter has a knack or interest in something Cannon will likely offer it. They focus on technology in a way that makes me feel our daughter will be appropriately comfortable with the technology of her time (even if I am not). I also like the lack of focus on any religious education because even though we are religious and go to church regularly I prefer that to not be part of my child's school. In lieu of a religious focus they do volunteerism and make it part of a requirement for seniors. We are big on volunteerism so it is nice that our daughter will have that opportunity to volunteer along side her peers and friends. All of this is available on their website and their info packet but just thought I would point out the benefits as I see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte