U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:48 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,448,436 times

Advertisements

LOVE my Weiland home..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM

743 posts, read 2,025,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M2Clt View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I did notice the JD Power ratings where Weiland was much superior. The Rosemont sub is supposed to have over 250 houses so will more than likely takes 8-10 years to build out (have nothing to base that on, just my haphazard guess). I guess they would try to make early buyers happy to keep them from putting negative signs in their yards. I haven't tried Audobon Lake but will look that up tonight. I will watch this thread a few more days and do a little more research before making the choice to eliminate them or not.

We have 187 houses going in. First house settled August 2006 and we are 60% complete, almost 2 years later.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Default Survey

I work for McCar Homes. Yes- there are many builders out there who have a higher JD Powers score. I don't think that means McCar puts any less emphasis on Customer Service. I know that there are many builders out there that put more of an emphasis on getting people to fill out the JD Powers Survey. There are many builders out there who send letters and gift cards to home owners right before the JD Powers Survey comes out urging them to fill it out and not throw it away. That is something McCar does not do. We still strive to make our customers happy- that is very important to the company.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 973 times
Default McCar vs Shea vs Weiland

-I am a realtor and I have worked with clients who have purchased from all three builders, and I would recommend them all, based on my clients' experiences. As far as I know, there are no builders out there who want to reduce prices, especially as they open new phases, typically they increase significantly. In this market anything is possible though, and that is the gamble you have with all home purchases, new and re-sale, not a specific builder. McCar and Weiland are both offering variations of assurance programs that you may want to look into.
-As far as McCar specifically, I have sold numerous homes with them, and my buyers have always been pleased. I don't know about JD Powers, but I know McCar was ranked 34th or 35th on the Big Builder list this year with national public builders even though they are regional and privately held. -Basically, I would not make any buying decisions, for any builder, based just on the info from a site like this. People who are happy with something, (think of your last visit to a restaurant) very rarely proclaim their pleasure, but when something goes wrong, they want everyone to know. Before you make a decision, I would seek out references from the builders, ask to see their internal survey scores (almost all builders have a survey at closing that is not JD Powers, but ranks their employees' performance), visit people in the neighborhood, or meet with a realtor. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sell a house View Post
-I am a realtor and I have worked with clients who have purchased from all three builders, and I would recommend them all, based on my clients' experiences. As far as I know, there are no builders out there who want to reduce prices, especially as they open new phases, typically they increase significantly. In this market anything is possible though, and that is the gamble you have with all home purchases, new and re-sale, not a specific builder. McCar and Weiland are both offering variations of assurance programs that you may want to look into.
-As far as McCar specifically, I have sold numerous homes with them, and my buyers have always been pleased. I don't know about JD Powers, but I know McCar was ranked 34th or 35th on the Big Builder list this year with national public builders even though they are regional and privately held. -Basically, I would not make any buying decisions, for any builder, based just on the info from a site like this. People who are happy with something, (think of your last visit to a restaurant) very rarely proclaim their pleasure, but when something goes wrong, they want everyone to know. Before you make a decision, I would seek out references from the builders, ask to see their internal survey scores (almost all builders have a survey at closing that is not JD Powers, but ranks their employees' performance), visit people in the neighborhood, or meet with a realtor. Good luck!

Unfortunately in this case, our homes are going down. Now granted phase one had some larger homes like 3200 to 4300 sq feet, there were still those that are 2700-2900 and sold for 260K. Now they are building 2400 for 210K. To me that is a significant difference in just one year. Plus the fact when I bought they advertised from the 240K now they advertise from the 190K, that is also a big drop for phase 2. I am just not happy with how the neighborhood is turning out. Also as I can recall McCar did not have a survey at closing, as a matter of fact, the homeowners had to call to set up the 30 day, 45 day and one year walk throughs post settlement. Granted they sell a lot of homes, but I don't believe the homeowner should have to take the initiative. There is no follow up whatsoever with McCar its like okay settled got my money have a nice day. They were even suppose to fix a few minors problems post settlement and I had to call and call and hound to get that done. That is why I advise with McCar, do NOT go to settlement until all is fixed to your satisfaction because they will not care after you give them the money. Oh, BTW my one year walkthrough was done at 15 months due to not being able to get me fit in then with the problems I had, they tried saying it was after one year, go figure.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:58 PM

45 posts, read 151,431 times
Quote:
There is no follow up whatsoever with McCar its like okay settled got my money have a nice day. They were even suppose to fix a few minors problems post settlement and I had to call and call and hound to get that done. That is why I advise with McCar, do NOT go to settlement until all is fixed to your satisfaction because they will not care after you give them the money. Oh, BTW my one year walkthrough was done at 15 months due to not being able to get me fit in then with the problems I had, they tried saying it was after one year, go figure.
I have a McCar home and my experience has been the complete opposite. Any minor problem (and there have only been 2) I've had has been addressed immediately and without fuss. I'm extremely happy with my experience with McCar.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 PM

11 posts, read 24,377 times
I'd like to voice a positive vote for McCar Homes as well. My husband and I purchased a McCar Home recently in the Mirabella neighorhood. This is a brand new neighborhood, so we have yet to experience neighborhood growing pains, etc. However, I can tell you that the prices, for what you get for the money, are spectacular. We were looking at pre-owned homes at the same value that would have required far more upgrading. The lot sizes are decent as well -- 0.40 acres. The staff were wonderful to work with. My husband and I are very happy with our purchase.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:56 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,649,290 times
I have heard good things about Mccar as well. A friend purchased from McCar a little over a year ago. From what they told me, McCar fixed all minor problems promptly. They even fixed things that apparently were not covered by warranty. I think it depends A LOT on the project manager, from what I'm gathering.

The one thing my friend is not happy about is, they paid $350000.00 fourteen months ago. NOW, the same size new constructions are going for 287000.00, talk about a price difference!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:01 AM

Mike409,

You are 100% is does have ALL to do with the project manager/warranty person. In our case the guy in charge of warranty. Since I settled we have had 4, the first two were great, any problem it was taken care of, the third was okay, this last one is a downright a**, sorry but that is the only word that truly describes him. Any problem is liking taking a bottle from a baby in order to fix and I mean this literally. McCar will either plain not fix it or do little to nothing to fix it. We will be there two years next month and trying to get these last minute big fixes such as the compressor on the a/c unit that has been quirky since two weeks before settlement. still not fixed properly. As far as the price, yes I understand the market is bad right now but McCar has literally lowered these house up to 80K to get them sold and upgrading a lot more now also. The first year with McCar is great, but watch out for the second year, it goes downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte