U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 PM

41 posts, read 179,053 times

Advertisements

I have a girl coming up from Charleston, SC this weekend, and I am going to take her out on what will basically be our first official date. I've never done the first date thing in Charlotte before, so I'm kinda stumped on where to go. She is a southern girl, and I don't know if I wanna take her somewhere as fancy as say Villa Antonia for a first date... but I also want to do a little better than say Olive Garden.

Also, what would you recommend doing after, other than seeing a movie. I thought about maybe going to a park, not sure which one is more appropriate here, or maybe just walking around uptown then hitting a bar later. Help me out with some ideas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,680,352 times
For something elegant but not too fancy yet with a great vibe, go to Red Rocks Cafe either in Strawberry Hill or Birkdale Village: Red Rocks Cafe :: Charlotte NC

But be careful! The last "first date" I took to Red Rocks ended up being my wife!!!

What do you like to do in terms of fun? If you go to Birkdale Village, then you can stroll through the village, get some ice cream, see a movie, go to a wine bar, or just people watch.

If you go to Strawberry Hill, you can do the same thing, but you'll have to go to Philips Place, which is just a mile up the road. Or, like you said, go Uptown and do all the above.

Make sure you check out the photo gallery and "about us" section on the website. You definitely won't go wrong with RR, and I've never had a bad experience there either.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM

777 posts, read 2,276,638 times
For dinner, Manzetti's or Roosters Wood Fired Kitchen. Both are "mid-scale" with excellent food. Manzetti's is quite a bit louder which I think bodes well for a first date (lots of activity going on).

Manzetti's Bar & Grill (broken link)
Welcome to Roosters Wood-Fired Kitchen

Afterwords, cross the street to "The Grape" wine bar to enjoy some beverages and take in the live music.

The Grape-The Ultimate Wine Experience

Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,785,456 times
Melting Pot.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 PM

416 posts, read 810,325 times
I don't know if you were thinking Villa Antonio in Ballantyne, but if you're in that area, there are a couple of restaurants in Ballantyne Village that fit your bill. Jade has some pretty good Asian food and Visuvio's (spelling?) fits the bill as well. I like the feel of Ballantyne Village on the weekend and also has the theatre (usually independent films), but without the 17 and under crowd.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,717,785 times
I would go Uptown. Plenty of restaurants...plus walking around Uptown is quite safe. Then if you guys wanted to go to a club/bar you would already be Uptown. There ae no 17 year old's Uptown...they can't even get into a club.

GOOD LUCK on your 1st date!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,482,132 times
Melting pot is to romantic for a first date. I am on the Red Rock deal. There is enough going on and plenty to do after the fact...

Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 43,624 times
Tria Terra on Hwy 51 near the intersection of Park/Johnston Road - next to Chuck E Cheese, but the food is awesome and it's a small place, so good ambiance. In Ballantyne area, 131 Main is good and is in Blakney, so you could wander around the shops there. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,050,079 times
My wife and I had our first dinner together (with other friends) at The Roasting Company on Montford Dr.
Underneath is (or used to be) a cool little bar.
13+ years & two daughters later, it is still working out.

Our first 'date' was Providence Cafe and a movie at The Manor theater, IIRC.
She lived off Selwyn, so we ended up at the Selwyn Pub often.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:40 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,785,456 times
If she is a true Southern girl, take her to the Penguin. Cajun Queen on 7th is a good date place too and not real fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte