U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2008, 06:18 AM
 
29 posts, read 90,932 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I second the Light Factory for classes. I am a member there, and love their programs and mission. They are an educational non-profit, for adults and children and have a whole array of classes, summer camps, after school programs, exhibits and showcases. It is devoted to photography and film and also to building a photo community. There are all sorts of ways to get involved with the Light Factory and I'm hoping to be more involved this fall.
We moved here from Maryland last year, and I read this site avidly and got a lot of information on neighborhoods, schools, and the general "vibe" of Charlotte, so was very grateful for the existence of this site and the helpful posts.
I've been a newspaper photographer for over 20 years and just started a business here doing candid family portraiture and a bit of editorial and corporate photography.

Anifani - where did you work at newspapers and mags? I was in DC, New York, Philadelphia, and lastly in Baltimore at the Baltimore Sun for 10 years...we are loving
Charlotte a lot...

Oh Biggs Camera is a good store too, on Kings Drive (I think) near uptown.and CPCC has a good photography program.

have fun with your outing. there are all sorts of places to explore and having a camera makes it that much more special.

Nanine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 AM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
Reputation: 1041
Dawn,

A great deal of info can be learned for free at your leisure on the internet through forums and tutorials. Sure, it's not the same as a class, but the difference will be volume of content...and the ability to work on it over and over again at your pace. A class only has one or two hours every so often (when ever the class meets)...there's no way you can cram a solid foundation of photography into that small amount of time.

Here are some sites that have very active forums and good tutorials:

www.dpreview.com
Steve's Digicams - Main Menu (<-- not my site, just coincidental names)

Tons more if you google it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 06:24 AM
 
4,093 posts, read 10,150,499 times
Reputation: 1896
Thank you. That seems to be the one most are recommending.

It overwhelms me!!!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Ani - name your place...let's go!

Dawn - here's one of the review sites I found helpful, in case you don't know about it yet!
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by chf_mom View Post
I second the Light Factory for classes. I am a member there, and love their programs and mission. They are an educational non-profit, for adults and children and have a whole array of classes, summer camps, after school programs, exhibits and showcases. It is devoted to photography and film and also to building a photo community. There are all sorts of ways to get involved with the Light Factory and I'm hoping to be more involved this fall.
We moved here from Maryland last year, and I read this site avidly and got a lot of information on neighborhoods, schools, and the general "vibe" of Charlotte, so was very grateful for the existence of this site and the helpful posts.
I've been a newspaper photographer for over 20 years and just started a business here doing candid family portraiture and a bit of editorial and corporate photography.

Anifani - where did you work at newspapers and mags? I was in DC, New York, Philadelphia, and lastly in Baltimore at the Baltimore Sun for 10 years...we are loving
Charlotte a lot...

Oh Biggs Camera is a good store too, on Kings Drive (I think) near uptown.and CPCC has a good photography program.

have fun with your outing. there are all sorts of places to explore and having a camera makes it that much more special.

Nanine
Hi, CHF_Mom!

I have worked with local and regional pubs and ad agencies in the SE and Midwest. Wish I could say the CHI Trib, Hee Hee. I started out as a writer and photographer at 13, working for a tiny local newspaper. Degrees are in English. The closest I have come to professional education is paying for my son to get a degree in photography. My education came from the generous mentoring of other professional photographers and Nikon seminars along the way . . . The best advice I got was shoot, shoot, shoot . . . bracket your pix, document your settings . . . and for on-the-spot reporting . . . "F-11 and be there." I have a lot to learn about digital SLR photography.

I think a CD photo shoot meet up would be great fun . . . would hope you could join in.

Last edited by brokensky; 07-09-2008 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 AM
 
29 posts, read 90,932 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hi, CHF_Mom!

I have worked with local and regional pubs and ad agencies in the SE and Midwest. Wish I could say the CHI Trib, Hee Hee. I started out as a writer and photographer at 13, working for a tiny local newspaper. Degrees are in English. The closest I have come to professional education is paying for my son to get a degree in photography. My education came from the the generous mentoring of other professional photographers and Nikon seminars along the way . . . The best advice I got was shoot, shoot, shoot . . . bracket your pix, document your settings . . . and for on-the-spot reporting . . . "F-11 and be there." I have a lot to learn about digital SLR photography.

I think a CD photo shoot meet up would be great fun . . . would hope you could join in.
Very cool - a true "cub" reporter... yes, if I am able to get together, it would be fun, I'll keep reading this thread. and your advice is true....I think the most important thing to remember is that the camera is a tool, and digital SLR can be overwhelming with all the choices, but it's still a tool for capturing images. Your eye is what takes the pictures, the camera records them.

take care

Nanine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 AM
 
4,093 posts, read 10,150,499 times
Reputation: 1896
Thank you.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Dawn,

A great deal of info can be learned for free at your leisure on the internet through forums and tutorials. Sure, it's not the same as a class, but the difference will be volume of content...and the ability to work on it over and over again at your pace. A class only has one or two hours every so often (when ever the class meets)...there's no way you can cram a solid foundation of photography into that small amount of time.

Here are some sites that have very active forums and good tutorials:

www.dpreview.com
Steve's Digicams - Main Menu (<-- not my site, just coincidental names)

Tons more if you google it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM
 
60 posts, read 164,888 times
Reputation: 28
I was so happy to see this thread! I am very interested in Photography, although very very "green". I've been talking about getting into photography for almost 3 years now. Can someone give me pointers on where to start. What should my first camera be? I just want to get out there and start shooting and possibly take classes to help me learn the camera, etc. The Light Factory definitely offers classes and that would be where i'd go. I priced them and they are about $250-$300 per class. Kind of pricey, but I'm hoping well worth the charge! Please share any thoughts! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
Reputation: 1041
I'd start with reading reviews of cameras that may fit in your price range. Assuming you're going digital, I'd get something thats 6 or 7 megapixels and above. They're cheap enough nowadays. The more megapixels, the higher the resolution will be....and the larger you can print out. It doesn't, however, mean better quality. there are still crappy 7+ MP cameras out there. I highly recommend the ability to shoot in "RAW" mode. It's basically an un-fettered-with mode fo caputring the image. If you shoot a typical JPEG, the camera is using it's processor to "process" your image and compress it down to an easily manageable and read-able size. JPEG images typically lack quality and sharpness. RAW format is sort of like a digital negative...un-messed-with. You need a program (usually, the camera comes with one) to open RAW images...like Photoshop. These programs will allow you to adjust many aspects of the image (exposure, shadows and highlights, sharpness, noise, etc.) before opening it and converting it to a usable JPEG format for printing. True digital photography, in my opinion, should always be done in RAW format. I even take all vacation pictures in RAW...you never know when you'll get that one incredible picture that you wish you had it in the highest resolution possible! This is where high capacity memory cards come into play too...which are dirt cheap these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top