Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
oooo.....what did you get???? Oh, and I am back from all of our jaunts to various places, so when are we getting together?

Dawn
Took the plunge . . . Nikon D300 . . . used to shoot for newspaper and magazines . . . and have not bought a new Nikon for over 20 years!!! Been shooting w/ my 2002 AFS and FM . . . and want to get back into my photography. Thinking about studio work . . . looking at lighting equipment . . . but so so so much to learn about my camera.

We ought to do an outing . . .something tells me you have an art background . . . ???? We should figure out a good place to take pix and play one afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
I got my new camera today as well. I don't need a DLSR so I got a Panasonic FZ50, reviewed as a very good bridge between a P&S and a DSLR. It was like waiting for paint to dry while the battery was charging but now I'm good to go. I just need to read up on the features more. Hopefully, tomorrow is a better day for taking pics! I'm like a 3-year old at a candy store now! Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Everyone above...we need a photo shoot junket!!!! Blue Ridge Parkway anyone?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Well, not really. I love photography and journalism though and seriously thought of working for a company like National Geographic....I even started out by declairing a Journalism major in college. Then I ended up just fascinated by people and ended up with an Anthropology major....yeah, that got me nowhere fast! But in a very strange turn of events it actually got me into my teaching career and then counseling.

Wow, way more info than you needed to know!

I still LOVE to travel, esp. to other countries, and I love to take pictures while there....lots of them, and lots of obscure ones.

Yes, let's do get together and take pictures. I just need to get my camera first! Where did you buy yours?

I must admit I have only gone to the camera store once to look. My children are usually fairly well behaved but for some reason they were in a funk that day and were just so ill behaved that I ended up leaving before I got the chance to really ask too many questions to the guy. I will have to go back sans children next time!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Took the plunge . . . Nikon D300 . . . used to shoot for newspaper and magazines . . . and have not bought a new Nikon for over 20 years!!! Been shooting w/ my 2002 AFS and FM . . . and want to get back into my photography. Thinking about studio work . . . looking at lighting equipment . . . but so so so much to learn about my camera.

We ought to do an outing . . .something tells me you have an art background . . . ???? We should figure out a good place to take pix and play one afternoon.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Is this similar to a Canon S3 or S5, where you can't really change out the lenses, but you can add lens adapters to change it to wide angle or more zoom?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I got my new camera today as well. I don't need a DLSR so I got a Panasonic FZ50, reviewed as a very good bridge between a P&S and a DSLR. It was like waiting for paint to dry while the battery was charging but now I'm good to go. I just need to read up on the features more. Hopefully, tomorrow is a better day for taking pics! I'm like a 3-year old at a candy store now! Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Everyone above...we need a photo shoot junket!!!! Blue Ridge Parkway anyone?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Is this similar to a Canon S3 or S5, where you can't really change out the lenses, but you can add lens adapters to change it to wide angle or more zoom?

Dawn
Yes it is Dawn. I don't like the weight and fuss of extra lenses just to take the pics I want, but want the ability to add on if I want to. I got mine from B&H Photo online. It came highly recommended by posters in the Photography forum of CD. You may want to post there to get ideas before you decide on what camera you want. They have been very helpful over there!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Ordered mine - but check out Wolf Camera . . . I will be working w/ them for lenses, etc.

Bibit!! Blue Ridge sounds wonderful but I was thinking something closer in for an afternoon out. Or lunch and pix! Gotta be some neat places around here to find subject matter . . . park, mall, lake . . .

Dawn . . . get that camera!!! Bibit and I are gonna have a headstart!!!

Woops - didn't mean to exclude guys! It would be fun to get a group together and shoot away!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 07-08-2008 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM

Oh, thank you. I forgot about that forum.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Yes it is Dawn. I don't like the weight and fuss of extra lenses just to take the pics I want, but want the ability to add on if I want to. I got mine from B&H Photo online. It came highly recommended by posters in the Photography forum of CD. You may want to post there to get ideas before you decide on what camera you want. They have been very helpful over there!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Well......I just found a much better deal than anywhere else for the Nikon D60 with two VR lenses and some other extras on the Costco website!

I will get it this week, or at least order it by then.

I took some cool shots today with my Sony DSC-S85. An older camera, but still takes basic shots well. I was playing a bit with the Sepia feature....loved that.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ordered mine - but check out Wolf Camera . . . I will be working w/ them for lenses, etc.

Bibit!! Blue Ridge sounds wonderful but I was thinking something closer in for an afternoon out. Or lunch and pix! Gotta be some neat places around here to find subject matter . . . park, mall, lake . . .

Dawn . . . get that camera!!! Bibit and I are gonna have a headstart!!!

Woops - didn't mean to exclude guys! It would be fun to get a group together and shoot away!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Ani - name your place...let's go!

Dawn - here's one of the review sites I found helpful, in case you don't know about it yet!
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
B&H can be a bad place to go. The last time I went there I bought a Sigma 50-500mm lens for my Olympus E510, for our trip to Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte