Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:37 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times

Advertisements

You're likely gonna sign a 6 month contract with Tate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You're likely gonna sign a 6 month contract with Tate.
Probably right, again I would never sign a 6 month contract unless I had some rights to get out.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:42 PM

236 posts, read 806,433 times
Maybe I'm just being real naive here. But to me, I don't see where the agent is losing if he lowers his fee from 6% to 4%...since I'm retaining him for my next home.
My next home (Shea) is going to pay him a certain percentage right. (Anyone know that percentage??)

So he's still going to make his money....just not all at once.

I guess I'm looking at it like....if I need work, and someone offers me that deal, I'd take it...because 4% now, and 2% when he buys his new home is better than him hiring someone else and i get nothing!

There are no Allen Tate signs in my neighborhood. So he wouldn't have another hom to show. (Is that a bad sign that there aren't any Allen Tate signs in my neighborhood?).

I've seen Mathers Realty, Bissel-Hayes, Remax and a couple others...but no Allen Tate

Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
He may be restricted by company rules about percentage. They don't have the flexability. But to your point, their costs may exceed the 1%. And they also have to pay certain fees.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,401 times
In my experience I have never seen them lower their standard rate. Even on family deals.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Steve--somehow I feel you haven't accomplished anything so far in "reducing", "negotiatiating" or "incentives". BEFORE you sign with them ask A.T. what the buyer's rate is and how the team of A.T., et al (together)will promote and sell your house. Interview the agent that is coming over just like you would question anyone that has control over your money.
Good luck

Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
Maybe I'm just being real naive here. But to me, I don't see where the agent is losing if he lowers his fee from 6% to 4%...since I'm retaining him for my next home.
My next home (Shea) is going to pay him a certain percentage right. (Anyone know that percentage??)

So he's still going to make his money....just not all at once.

I guess I'm looking at it like....if I need work, and someone offers me that deal, I'd take it...because 4% now, and 2% when he buys his new home is better than him hiring someone else and i get nothing!

There are no Allen Tate signs in my neighborhood. So he wouldn't have another hom to show. (Is that a bad sign that there aren't any Allen Tate signs in my neighborhood?).

I've seen Mathers Realty, Bissel-Hayes, Remax and a couple others...but no Allen Tate
Allen Tate doesn't have to lower their rate and like someone else said, their pretty rigid about their policies. You have to understand that the agent does not get 3%. He is splitting this with his firm. At the least he is getting 1.5% and may get more depending on his status with the firm.

Your price point may be a reason there are no signs in your neighborhood, as it is my understanding that Tate has more business in the higher end of the scale. There were no Tate listings when we had our home on the market, but I saw this as a good thing in that it wasn't the same Company A or B that everyone else was using whose house was sitting for months on end.

You can always cancel your contract, the terms will vary however. Take for instance our situation--we were supposed to move to Maryland but things fell through for us. We had to take our home off the market for the obvious reason. We signed a 6 month contract that guarantees Tate a commission should our house sells in this time frame. If we were to put our home up for FSBO or with another company within this 6 month period and it sells, we owe Tate regardless.

Bottom line, learn your agent well and ask lots of questions. If they are anything like our agents (Tate firms have grouped their agents into teams, so you will have multiple contacts and assistance to sell your home), then you will be presented with a very professional and strong approach to selling your home.

Moreover, I was contacted about every 2 weeks by an independent, unbiased Tate associate to ensure we were satisfied with their services. So, the professionalism, success rate, and quality control is there.

Let us know what happens tonight and good luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 PM

236 posts, read 806,433 times
i'm starting a new thread....
since i have no clue (this is my first time selling)....can you all help me out.

Can I make a thread asking for specific agents I should interview and specific questions I should ask whomever I interview?
Is that against thread rules?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
i'm starting a new thread....
since i have no clue (this is my first time selling)....can you all help me out.

Can I make a thread asking for specific agents I should interview and specific questions I should ask whomever I interview?
Is that against thread rules?
Ask for any question you want, just don't ask for specific agent names.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,362 times
Can we DM you specific agents' names? Or is that against TOS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte