Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
The kid was absolutely right. The only way to change that particular situation is to take the profit out of the drug trade by legalizing crack.
Seriously, the war on drugs is a total failure, not sure I would want to legalize crack, but at least marijuana.
But, I have spent time in Amsterdam and really do not like the idea of needles being handed out to users.
Drugs and prostitution destroy people anyway, and the government hates it because they have no way to tax it.
Yet alcohol and tobacco are truly the worst killers of all, but it is OK, since it is taxed...Right

Today the local news was covering a 'fabulous' bust of a massage parlor in Monroe. So we are busting people who consent on some level regarding a sexual activity, yet our local criminal system is a revolving door of losers whose only modus operandi is the general pillage of us hard working tax payers.
Perfect...

Last edited by mullman; 07-21-2008 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angels09 View Post
Everyday we live and wake up to people scaming the system and coning the system! Why? Because the system was build to match all the unfortuate others in one big basket. Let me explain, our ancestors had to work hard to bring us freedom and liberty. On the other hand a different race of people didn't like seeing our ancestors learn, read, and write, whom in regards expanded education to go a lot futher. Okay, we had some African Americans that went to college and made it to the top, remember everyone didn't get a chance to learn to read and write which led generation of generations in the same direction. Remember this was 1700's to all the way up to the 20th century. My point we still have the same housewhole of families that raisie children to survive, but some of our children are not grateful to understand that is why we have the slums, the ghetto's, projects, Section 8. When my mother took ill and she had to be lay off of her assembling line of work in food service, she had no other choice but to ask for welfare. When she was able to go back to work she work for a funeral home until she became ill again. So I'm speaking from experience, sure I don't like seeing Section 8 taking advantage of, but we still have people in our community that is for real in needing the help. Not everyone is buying cars, spending money, and letting their men friends take control of them, by using up their food stamps. I used to work for a homeless shelter, I met young mothers with three to four children running away from harm wantiing to get on their feet. I would listen to mothers telling me I just want my own place. I don't care about it being the projects or Section 8. I feel for some of them, some were prositutes that got tired of selling their body. Others were women forty and fifty that families didn't want them staying with them. You greed for people in certain situations, at the same time thanking God it's not you, but it was almost me. Until my pastor step in. Right today I see SSI people living off of SSI and Section 8 I just don't see a need for both, but when I see black and white, I see problems with both, I couldn't explain the Mexicians situations because they stick together in any battle. You know I am from the Old School when time run out for every one who is playing the system it will back fire, I seen it come to pass. What goes around does come around. Peace!
Wha, Wha, What? I have a headache from reading this post.
My questions for you is what is a mother who can barely afford to support herself doing having four kids? A larger check maybe? Birth control does not cost that much. If you can't afford it, well than keep your pants on. I don't bust my @ss day in and day out to support the baby mommas of the world. There are a lot of other jobs out there other than being a street level hoe so that's no excuse either.
I would like to hang out all day long too but I know I have a responsibility to support my family and the lifestyle that I want to live. I don't expect someone else to pay for it nor should anyone be responsible for paying for my lifestyle. I'm tired of hearing people b*tch and moan about not being able to find a job, meanwhile they drop out of school and they speak and dress like thugs etc etc. Why not carry yourself like a responsible adult rather than the latest hip-hop star? Get yourself a pair of dress pants that fit and not hang past your @ss, a dress shirt and a tie and hit the job market. Even if your not highly educated places like Target, Walmart are always hiring. Try earning a buck for a change instead of always looking for a handout and taking the easy way out.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
Well I am sad at the response of such a large group of people that share the opinion that section 8 people are responsible for crime. Pain is responsible for crime bad up bringing, no morals and pride being taught in the home from respectful loving parents, poverty, mental health issues, drug and alcohol addictions. Cause and effect how about this we build communities with wealthy people from old money that have no desire for community activites because their children have grown up moved away and most of the wealthy could care less about skating rinks, swimming pools, movie theaters, or any activitys that would occupy the minds and bodys of our young, If you put them in an area away from better communities and left to fend for them selves what would you expect to happen, we as people need a diverse group of people to learn and teach each other with unconditional love I feel this is a form of prejudice and breed negativity just as rascism has done for centuries dont you think its time we look at how we can help each other over come the oppressive ways rather than find new ones to separate and create issues of low self esteem that would be a circumstance that could create the very thing you speak of crime so in a sense this attitude itself is a crime and you are guilty! Be blessed and try to think of ways to bless rather discriminate.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM

330 posts, read 1,035,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Well I am sad at the response of such a large group of people that share the opinion that section 8 people are responsible for crime. Pain is responsible for crime bad up bringing, no morals and pride being taught in the home from respectful loving parents, poverty, mental health issues, drug and alcohol addictions. Cause and effect how about this we build communities with wealthy people from old money that have no desire for community activites because their children have grown up moved away and most of the wealthy could care less about skating rinks, swimming pools, movie theaters, or any activitys that would occupy the minds and bodys of our young, If you put them in an area away from better communities and left to fend for them selves what would you expect to happen, we as people need a diverse group of people to learn and teach each other with unconditional love I feel this is a form of prejudice and breed negativity just as rascism has done for centuries dont you think its time we look at how we can help each other over come the oppressive ways rather than find new ones to separate and create issues of low self esteem that would be a circumstance that could create the very thing you speak of crime so in a sense this attitude itself is a crime and you are guilty! Be blessed and try to think of ways to bless rather discriminate.
What is with the aversion to paragraphs in this thread?

The only discrimination I see happening here is that those who work hard to make their own way in the world are being forced at gunpoint to support those who don't. Yes, I said forced at gunpoint - because ultimately, if we do not surrender our treasure to the government for redistribution, we will be visited by men with guns.

Section 8 destroys neighborhoods when it moves in, and blocks improvements in other neighborhoods when it refuses to move out. I speak from experience here, as I have watched over the last (almost) two years as the NoDa neighborhood has improved all around the street I own a house on, but stagnated on my street. Surrounded by homes priced in the low $400k range, the section 8 housing on my street remains and along with it the crime and blight that goes hand in hand with urban poverty.

It is too profitable for the owners of the section 8 housing to stick with the program rather than sell to developers. Most insist that they would need to sell for what section 8 would bring in in 10 years in order to make a profit, so they continue to collect their government guaranteed income while putting as little into the property as possible. They do not screen the renters, and often we see the worst of the worst occupying their ugly little duplexes. The screening done by the welfare office bureaucrats is laughable at best, as we all know how efficient bureaucrats are.

So rather than have new or renovated homes that would draw those interested in improving a neighborhood (for self interest) in, we have dilapidated housing filled with those who have absolutely no incentive to help raise property values and the quality of life of others. They freely throw their trash out onto the street, creating health hazards. They draw crime into the area, as once again, crime follows poverty. They spend their afternoons drinking and hanging around rather than looking for work (because finding a job would usually disqualify them from the programs they depend on, and their quality of life would actually decrease from working minimum wage jobs). And it just goes on and on.

I absolutely do feel discriminated against.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Well I am sad at the response of such a large group of people that share the opinion that section 8 people are responsible for crime.
I cannot speak about Charlotte, but I previously lived in Columbia, MD for several years and, PC or not, the fact is that as more rental communities started opening up to larger numbers of Section 8 residents (due to a downturn in rentals) we did see crime in the community increase - although it was mostly property crime, not violent crime. And, in all fairness, the local crime rate was not at 0% before Section 8 residents became more plentiful either.

Does that mean that everyone who benefits from Section 8 housing is a criminal? Absolutely not. And I do not think that anyone would make that claim. A lot of people who benefit from Section 8 are just trying to get some help getting a leg up - which is, overall, a positive, not a negative.

But my own experience is that an increase in Section 8 residents does (or did in my case) correlate with a higher incidence of property crimes in the neighborhood. But that is just one guy's experience in one community.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
I may be mistaken, but wasn't SouthPark built in the 70s, and only fairly recently has become a mega-mall? In general, malls tend to draw crime...but SouthPark does have the advantage of not being located close to major interstates for easy access.
It is interesting that you mention that point. When we first started looking at houses down here, one thing I had to change in my own personal mindset (along with the concept of no 100% underground basements) was the expansion of Charlotte's light-rail system as a positive. In Baltimore (yes, I keep harping on my former hometown, but I've only been here a month) expansions of that city's light rail system were usually battles because the people who lived near the proposed new stations did not want it. The reason was that the light rail system seemed to foreshadow an increase in criminal activity.

For example, at one shopping mall, which was considered more of an "upscale mall" a light rail station eventually opened there and, within 1-2 years, the number of crimes reported on the mall property shot up dramatically. And it comes back to your point of "access" - the availability of the light rail into more affluent neighborhoods usually served to increase the crime in those areas because they became easier to get to for some individuals who lived in areas with a higher crime rate to begin with.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
moderator note:

Thanks for your opinions
but this thread is veering off the OP topic.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:43 PM

69 posts, read 182,262 times
Based on my experience, a significant amount of Section 8 housing brings an increase in crime. It just does. I know it's contra "PCspeak" to say that, but it is true. No, not all Section 8ers are criminals, but how do you tell the difference? In my neighborhood we had an increase in stolen abandoned cars (in our driveways), drugs, shootings, break-ins, trash, police helicopters flying overhead almost every night, and two murders. I have a scanner, and would listen to the CB converstions our lovely female neighbors were having with nearby interstate truckers to stop in for some R&R; there were always tractor trailers parked along our roadway. Trespassing increased, and with it property damage. Challenging the trespassers only got you an "F you". Police raids would always net drugs and automatic weopons, and criminals on the run. You could find all of this out easily by talking to police. I could go on, but, bottom line, what I learned is (a) people aren't screened very well on the way into your neighborhood (b) politicians won't do anything about the problems because it would harm their careers--in fact they RUN for their lives, and ignore all inquiries (c) once the "anchor" people move in, they bring with them all types from all over the country (you can see from the license plates). I have a particular problem with people who feel WE should help THEM get a leg up by sacrificing our safety, and home values (yes, home values do plummet in these areas). THEY need to learn how to live and behave in a nice neighborhood before they're allowed to move in. The attitude that what is yours is theirs is something they, unfortunately, bring along with them. I have to go with what I see, and experience, and I don't like Section 8.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Holy run-on sentence batman! I have such a headache from this. The only thing I will take the time to comment on is the bolded text above.

Who is oppressed? And what are oppressive ways?

What are the new [oppressive ways] that separate?

Who creates issues of self esteem?

And do these circumstances of self esteem create crime?

What attitude is a crime and why am I guilty? lol...

The difference between you and me is that I want to volunteer my "blessings" and you want to steal my money and give it to the poor. And how dare you accuse anyone on this thread for discriminating!

Ok, think I successfully translated all that, but I'm still not sure....

Old 07-22-2008, 07:13 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrusselsSprouts View Post
Based on my experience, a significant amount of Section 8 housing brings an increase in crime. It just does. I know it's contra "PCspeak" to say that, but it is true. No, not all Section 8ers are criminals, but how do you tell the difference? In my neighborhood we had an increase in stolen abandoned cars (in our driveways), drugs, shootings, break-ins, trash, police helicopters flying overhead almost every night, and two murders. I have a scanner, and would listen to the CB converstions our lovely female neighbors were having with nearby interstate truckers to stop in for some R&R; there were always tractor trailers parked along our roadway. Trespassing increased, and with it property damage. Challenging the trespassers only got you an "F you". Police raids would always net drugs and automatic weopons, and criminals on the run. You could find all of this out easily by talking to police. I could go on, but, bottom line, what I learned is (a) people aren't screened very well on the way into your neighborhood (b) politicians won't do anything about the problems because it would harm their careers--in fact they RUN for their lives, and ignore all inquiries (c) once the "anchor" people move in, they bring with them all types from all over the country (you can see from the license plates). I have a particular problem with people who feel WE should help THEM get a leg up by sacrificing our safety, and home values (yes, home values do plummet in these areas). THEY need to learn how to live and behave in a nice neighborhood before they're allowed to move in. The attitude that what is yours is theirs is something they, unfortunately, bring along with them. I have to go with what I see, and experience, and I don't like Section 8.
You summed it all up very very nicely. The problem is top down, not so much bottom up. There's an entire ecosystem which includes the tenants, the trespassers the tenants willing/unwilling bring in, the elected officials who say the system is good the way it is (but never have to live near or in a section 8 establishment), the landlords who get above market rental rates for being slum lords (yes there are good landlords), and the govt infrastructure that is built up to support it all (which I'm sure provides nice 40 hour a week jobs). So those that are caught in the wash of all this are the 1) the people who truly need the assistance and 2) neighboring citizens who have to deal with and are affected by the criminal activity.

The change must be through pressure on elected officials and a revamp of the system such that there's strict penalty such as immediate eviction for a reported and confirmed violation, and tougher penalties for landlords who may know (or not know) about what's happening on their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte